Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Midnight_Angel Posts: 79, Reputation: 3

Aug 4, 2007, 12:12 AM
    New Dog Owner
    Hey I just finally got my first puppy ever today and he's already peed twice in the house and pooped once... the second time he peed in the house we had just came inside from me trying to get him to go, I am sure he will get used to it but I worry he will be one of those puppies that always goes on the floor... any tips??
    Baba1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I have always used a crate to train pups. When you are not playing with them leave them in the crate. The minute you take him out of the crate take him outside. Always to the same place. This has always worked for me.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Labman has a sticky at the top of the dog forum with new puppy training advice. Please click on this link:
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html

Since you are a new dog owner, just realize that it is going to take time and A LOT of patience on your part. It would be wise to start looking around for puppy training classes. For someone who hasn't had a dog before, or if you haven't had to train one in a while, to see exactly how to apply the techniques. Call your vet, or stop by a local pet store, and ask about recommendation for good trainers are in the area.

If you are still having problems after reading and apply all the techniques in the link, (try the techniques for a few days at least) post back explaining thoroughly exactly what is going on. We will give you more specific direction.
    Nataliecb Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Aug 4, 2007, 04:40 PM
    Try letting him outside every time he's finished playing, sleeping and eating.
    As this is usually when he is most likely to want to go. Also be observant look for early signs, he probably walks around constantly sniffing the floor just before he goes... giving you the chance to pick him up and run to the door!

Unfortunately there is no quick solution but with time and patience it does suddenly click oneday, there is bound to be accidents along the way.
    Just remember to give him lots of praise and a treat of some sort each and every time he goes outside (teaching him that it's a good thing to go outside) and try not to give any reaction when he does it inside.

I used this method with my Yorkshire Terrier and now she goes out for a pee and runs straight in and heads towards the shelf to look up at the treats jar! :)

Aug 5, 2007, 11:39 PM
    When I put him in a confined space all he does is shriek at the top of his lungs... do I give him toys in there or just leave him? And anytime I catch him, after I grab him he won't go, and when we're outside, won't go but the second I put him down inside again he runs off and goes...
    Nataliecb Posts: 21, Reputation: 5

Aug 6, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Depending on his age his kidneys will not be fully developed so you should expect accidents but with constant supervision you should tackle the problem eventually.

Have you tried puppy training pads?
    They are a good idea as at least if he is indoors he knows where to head for, gradually when he knows what they are for he should use them, put them by the door and then eventually outside.
    Also try some sort of odour and stain remover every time he goes inside, as a dogs territory-marking instincts compel them to come back to the same spot and do it again!

As for him shrieking/barking when he's alone, I suggest giving him toys (and chews depending on his age) if he has something to occupy his mind he may settle, plus if he's all played out he may even just want to sleep for a while!

The best advice is to ignore his 'shrieks' if he knows this will get your attention and make you come to him, then he will soon learn that shrieking works and keep doing it but if you ignore him (hard as it may be) eventually he willl learn that it doesn't work.

:)
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 6, 2007, 07:38 AM
    It took a few months to train our new puppy... its a tough job... you really just have to take them out as much as possible. I didn't crate too much, more in the beginning, but then I would just baby gate him in the kitchen (that way if he had an accident it was easier to clean up). Puppy pads are a great idea too... the smell attracts them to go on the pads, and you just keep moving the pad closer and closer to the door, then take the pad away completely... then when the puppy goes to the door looking for the pad, you will know to let them out.

Good luck!! Just remember its going to take time!!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 6, 2007, 04:52 PM
    I hope you followed RubyPitbull's advice and checked the sticky. Follow it and pay close attention to the puppy and you shouldn't have much trouble housebreaking the puppy. If you choose your time correctly, and make the puppy more around a little outside, it should work. They can't hold it and walk very much.

Forget the pads. They are a bad idea in general condemned by experienced people. I have been answering questions on dogs here and elsewhere on the net for a long time. I have seen problem after problem with people that pad or paper trained a puppy and then struggled to switch to outdoors. The only time they are worth thinking about is if you are in an apartment without quick access to outside.

A crate is a big help, but not essential to housebreaking. If you check https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 there is some help in getting a puppy to accept its crate. If it didn't have good care before you got it, you may need to do the same as I suggest for older dogs not started in a crate. Start putting the crate in one of its favorite sleeping spots. If you have able to trust the dog with a cushion, blanket, or bed, put it in the crate. Next, put its toys in, maybe treats too. Feeding the dog there is a great way to convince it the crate is a good place.

Aug 6, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Thanks for all the help and support, I am using pads because I am in an apt like u said, and I recently gated off the balcony so hopefully he starts to go on the rubber mat out there... I will give it a bit and come back if I need more tips but really thanks for all the help :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

New old KZ owner. [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have just acquired from my brother an old 1977 kz650B. He got it from a cousin who had ridden it for 5 years without any trouble. My brother rode it for two weeks and it died and has never run again. I have changed the oil & filter, air filter, plugs and points. It gets air, gas and...

New dog owner [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know how often do young dogs of about 5 to 6 months go poop on a regular diet

Owner [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, my name is Tess, Owner of Perfect Cleaning. My question was: How do you estimate certain jobs. I do new construction, apt moveouts, commercial, residential, and section 8 housing for the govt. I have done OK for the most part, but I always stress over the decision. Thank you all for...

New owner to a weiner dog [ 5 Answers ]

Good Morning Everyone... I am a new owner to a puppy weiner dog.. she will be 2 months on the 8th of Feb. I'm not real sure about how to take care of a puppy and I want to be able to be the best at taking care of her. I have 2 babies of my own, but when it comes to a dog.. I'm dumb founded. ...

Am I Half Owner Or Not? [ 6 Answers ]

Recently my husband and I refinanced our home. I assumed that I was a joint/half owner, but when I tried using my SS # to access our mort. Account by phone I was told that I am ONLY on the note so I had to use his SS #. Meaning, so they said, that they could never go after me for payment. I...

View more questions Search