Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CMBONNEVILLE Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 07:59 AM
    Help! We're fixing a cast iron soil pipe & NEED HELP!
    OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes... Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip out the next day because the first time didn't work - the problem continued!
    They said - "oh you need to replace the WHOLE system - and are looking at $4000.00 or more"! :eek: We were floored... they hadn't even looked under the crawl space for a problem -

We found a leaking - very bad looking small segment of pipe right past the last fixture drains into the main line under the crawl space...

What to do? :confused: - (which we hope is right) - since we don't have $4000.00 and REALLY need a bathroom with 4 kids at home - we decided to go in the crawl space and cut out the part and replace it with PVC and connect it to the cast iron...

Since we really have no experience with this sort of thing... what exactly do we need to do? What should we watch out for? How long does the PVC need to sit before it can be used?
    AND... What happens if this doesn't fix the problem? :eek: Is it the Whole System??

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 8, 2005, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMBONNEVILLE
    OK - short history of our problem! - We have a 60 yr old house - crawl space - cast iron pipes....Last week we had a back up from the washer into the tub & toilet - from the tub into the toilet.... We have only 1 bath so this was VERY BAD! :( - Called Roto Rooter - $270 later - and an extra trip out the next day because the first time didn't work - the problem continued!
    They said - "oh you need to replace the WHOLE system - and are looking at $4000.00 or more"! :eek: We were floored...they hadn't even looked under the crawl space for a problem -

We found a leaking - very bad looking small segment of pipe right past the last fixture drains into the main line under the crawl space....

What to do? :confused: - (which we hope is right) - since we dont have $4000.00 and REALLY need a bathroom with 4 kids at home - we decided to go in the crawl space and cut out the part and replace it with PVC and connect it to the cast iron....

Since we really have no experience with this sort of thing....what exactly do we need to do? What should we watch out for? How long does the PVC need to sit before it can be used?
    AND...What happens if this doesn't fix the problem? :eek: Is it the Whole System???

Thanks
    First of all ditch the company that wants to repipe your house for a simple blockage. That's a rip-off pure and simple. Are you on a septic tank or city sewer? Your best bet is to hire a licensed plumber to replace the break in the cast iron. That brings you back to your original complaint. Have him send his snake down the bathroom vent and run it out past the house cleanout. Unless you're familiar with working with cast iron it can become difficult. Inform him that he'll need to bring a set of ratchet cutters to cut the cast iron with. Also some Fernco Neoprene Couplings and a short piece of PVC in the same size as the broken pipe. Good luck, Tom

Aug 8, 2005, 08:46 AM
    We're on city sewer -at this point we have cut through 1 line completely and have the 4" cast iron left to cut through on both sides of the break

We used a sawzall for one line we had to cut and rented a soil pipe cutter(but can't seem to get it to work right) -

We really don't have the money for a plumber to come out

We were planning on having the line re-snaked once it was opened up

Thanks for the info... we're still pretty lost! :confused:

OK... so, we have cut into the pipe right past the break and water is still backed up in the pipe... OF COURSE the rest of the pipe goes under the driveway and turns -

So - my question is... Could it be blocked there? At the turn due to sediment? If so - what's the best to get it out - shouldn't we clear it before

Or should I expect that more areas of the pipe are broken and we have to dig up the WHOLE driveway and yard all the way to the road??

No wonder plumbers get paid big bucks - this is a terrible mess to deal with!
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 9, 2005, 11:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CMBONNEVILLE
    Thanks for the info....we're still pretty lost! :confused:

OK...so, we have cut into the pipe right past the break and water is still backed up in the pipe...OF COURSE the rest of the pipe goes under the driveway and turns -

So - my question is...Could it be blocked there? at the turn due to sediment? If so - what's the best to get it out - shouldn't we clear it before

Or should I expect that more areas of the pipe are broken and we have to dig up the WHOLE driveway and yard all the way to the road???

No wonder plumbers get paid big bucks - this is a terrible mess to deal with!

You cut a cast iron pipe with a saws-all? Cast iron's so hard it must have been like sawing diamonds. I hope you rented a ratchet cutter and not a snap cutter to cut the pipe with.
    If you're going to do the job yourself then cut out the bad piece of cast iron. Rent a sewer machine from your local Rent-All, (I use a Ridgid K-60) and snake from the open pipe to the city raiser at the curb. Once the line is cleared cut a piece of PVC to fit and use two Fernco Neoprene Couplings. Be sure and strap up the ends of the pipes so that no weight or strain is being placed on the couplings.
    Good luck and let me know how you make out. Tom

Aug 11, 2005, 12:43 PM
    All fixed for now...
    Ok - so after 2 days in a sewage covered crawl space... I think we have it all fixed :cool:

10 feet or so of cast iron was replaced with PVC... and we augered it out- but it didn't work... so Roto Rooter came out again - WITH NO CHARGE!
    Can you believe that!~

Everything is flowing fine... afraid to use it - put it has worked for 2 full days now with no problems! So keep your fingers crossed! :)
    mommelady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 11:58 AM
    I would like the answer to the soil pipe question please
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 10, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommelady
    I would like the answer to the soil pipe question please
    And that question would be? Tom
    illoh04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2010, 07:02 AM
    I'm having the same issue as the initial user. What if our soil pipe is underground?
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 14, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by illoh04 View Post
    I'm having the exact same issue as the initial user. What if our soil pipe is underground?
    Please state your problem in detail. Your problem must be different or the answers to this 5 year old should have solved your problem.
    All soil pipes that lead to the street or a septic tank are underground.
    Why would you ask that question? Back to you, Tom
    moon41703 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 1, 2011, 09:41 PM
    Cut out bad section of pipe with a soil pipe cutter and Replace with pvc pipe, u will need two 3 or 4 no hub rubber coupling and pvc pipe to match which ever size you have. You can rent a soil pipe cutter at your local rental center .
    Eternal Plumber

Dec 2, 2011, 06:57 AM
    Hi Moon and welcome to the Plumbing pageat at AskMeHelpDesk.com. You piggybacked on an a 6 year old dead thread, In the future, before you post, look in the upper left hand corner for the date.
    We thank you for your in put. Please feel free to post and answer more questions. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast Iron Pipe Joints problem [ 12 Answers ]

I'm trying to remove a 4" bronce/copper(?) pipe from a cast iron hub. The joint appears to be solded with lead. I heated the joint with a hand held gas torch expecting to losing up the lead but it did not make a dent on it. I have opted for hammering the pipe out but it is showing harder that I...

Cast iron soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I would appreciate very much if someone could clarify some questions I have on oakum/lead joints I have 3 horizontal hub and spigot joints to repair on 4" cast iron sewer pipe. The pipe itself is @ 5 years old. I would like to know if this is the correct way to solve this problem... ...

Lead Pipe/cast iron [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I just removed drywall to fix a drain from a bathroom sink. I found 1.5" soft lead pipe from the p-trap to a 3" hub on the cast iron stack. Can I use some kind of coupler from the lead pipe to new plastic or do I need to replace the entire length of pipe? If I need to replace, what's a good...

Cutting cast iron pipe [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I have a project I am working on in the basement and I need to tie 3" plastic into 3" cast iron. I will be renting a ratchet type cast cutter. The cast comes out of the basement floor and goes straight up to serve the first floor bathroom. What I would like to do is cut a section out of the...

Cast iron waste pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I have just bought a 32 yr old house and have started updating some of the fixtures. In our 1/2 bath the previous owners installed a pedistal sink with brass fixtures (p-trap, hot cold valves). We are changing all things brass to brushed nickel. So we took out the sink to paint...

View more questions Search