Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Reactions to Revolution?
    First, I have a vet appointment in the morning. Just wanting to get some thoughts before then.

August 1st I put Revolution on Pyret (spayed female cat). The vet recommended it due to the heartworm problems in the area, and this is the third time I used it. I came home for lunch today, and she has a bare spot about the size of a nickel right between the shoulder blades, where I put the Revolution. Has anyone else had this happen to them? To complicate matters (and part of the reason for the vet visit), it also looks sort of like a bite mark, with a bloody spot in the middle (possibly where fur was pulled out), fairly bare skin with a little fuzz on it, and then a crusty brownish ring further out.

She's not acting that off... still active and playful and demanding cuddles. But she doesn't want the spot looked at too closely, which makes me think it hurts at least a little.

The list of things it could be is just so long... reaction to the Revolution, a bite/scratch from the other cat (although it seems like a strange location for it... not quite nape, and higher on the back than I would expect), spider bite, ringworm, a scrape from something in the house...

Any one have any thoughts?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 07:21 AM
    The answer from the vet is: this is odd. It doesn't aparently have the classic signs of the several things that it could be (bacterial, fungal, viral, allergic), but is "sort of" like several of them. He's leaning toward ringworm, so I have topical anti-fungal cream to put on her and we are culturing some of the hairs he plucked to make a definitive diagnosis.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 10:42 AM
    Post back with the diagnosis, I am curious to know what it is. You know it has to be a little sore if the hair is off it. Poor kitty.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2007, 04:14 PM
    I'll post back. The vet said it would take 5 days for the culture, which is why we are doing the anti-fungal cream now, just to be on the safe side.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Aug 9, 2007, 03:56 AM
    This is very common with revolution,that's why I don't like it.I am a vet tech,and our Pfizer rep pushes us to sell this stuff,but I see this reaction too often.Most cats hate this stuff ,and seem to dig at the area where its applied.I believe it is good for what it does,but the bald spot usually never goes away.Most of my cats are old,and probably have heartworms,and there's not much point for me treating this.Revolution is a strong product,and it's up to you if it's worth the pain to your pet.Heartgard makes heartworm treatments for cats,but administering it is a joke. Let us know what you do.
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2007, 07:01 PM
    The vet said that reactions to Revolution tend to be more ulcerated, and this isn't at all. I'm a bit concerned about not treating for heartworms. Won't they kill cats the same as dogs? I haven't before this, because I lived in an area that didn't have a lot of heartworm, and really didn't seem to have many mosquitos. I'd get bit maybe once a year. Now, I live in a spot where I will get bitten multiple times between the front door and the mailbox, and heartworm is endemic. I was warned that most cats don't accept the Heartgard, which is why I was going with the Revolution. The dog's on heartworm preventative, and it just seems like the cats need it too.

Aug 10, 2007, 04:39 AM
    I would give heartworm preventative if it is a young cat.My cats are very old,and I live in mosquito infested state.Heartgard is too hard to give to a cat.We have clients that bring cats to us,and pay to have a person give their dose to the cat.We have seen cats die for no apparent reason,and the owners would request an autopsy.We found heartworms on a few occastions.If you treat with revolution,you will keep the heartworms from infesting the cat heart,and hopefully your cat will live for a long time.I know it is a hard decision to make,but your vet will most likey say the revolution is better for your cat,than ending up with heartworms.
    Ultra Member

Aug 13, 2007, 07:25 PM
    All right... the culture came back negative. The spot is still bald, but it's not crusty like it used to be, and I think the fur may be growing back. I need to talk to the vet and see where to go from here.
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:30 PM
    And, having talked to the vet, I am now in a dilemna. Since the fur is growing back and she seems to be fine, we are going to take a wait and see approach until next month, when I am debating about what to do about the heartworm treatment. The vet is suggesting trying it either higher/lower on her back, and seeing if it happens again. If it does, that would be a pretty good indication that it's the Revolution. But that seems a bit cruel to me. On the other hand, apparently cats really don't like the Heartgard, and there's a possibility that it's not the Revolution. And then I ponder skipping the heartworm preventative altogether, only to read that the first symptom of heartworms in cats tends to be sudden death. So many decisions to make before next month!
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Aug 15, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Froggy,
    I'm happy your cat is doing better.
    Using the revolution doesn't sound cruel to me if your cat showed no signs of discomfort.
    It may not have been the product to begin with, you'll never know until you try it again.

Secondly, I give my cats heartguard. They gobble it up.
    It's like a little beef (I think it's beef) soft chew.

I remember when I got my first cat, the vet said that if he didn't want to eat it, mix 1 table spoon of wet cat food with it, smash it up with it and they'll eat it that way.
    I never had to do that though...

I wouldn't go without treating for heartworms... that to me would be cruel.

Good luck:D

Aug 16, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Frogy,Is the bald spot like a perfect circle and in the exact spot that you applied the revolution?If it is in the same spot more than likely it was the revolution,because I've seen it numerous times with cats.Many times the dig at the spot with their hind claws and cause even worst hair loss.You may also check out the web sites about cats and heartworms.Many vets seem to think the chance of cats getting heartworms may be somewhat lower for cats than dogs.It can help explain many questions you may need answered.I understand how confusing the choice of the right preventative can be as a cat's owner.Another thing I've noticed is cats drool sometimes when the revolution is applied.
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 07:34 PM
    It wasn't perfectly round... more teardrop shaped. Which could still be from the Revolution, since it should flow a little after it's applied.

As to the heartworm issue, what do you think of this: New Study Reveals Pathology Of Feline Heartworm Disease; Proves Existence Of HARD If I'm reading the article right, cats react to the dead immature larva, resulting in lung problems more than cardiovascular symptoms. Which, coupled with the fact that many people don't do autopsies in the case of sudden death, could imply that the numbers are higher than what's reported.

From the article: "Levy added, "I hope these results will raise awareness among practitioners that heartworms are a threat to cats even if adult worms never develop. It appears that even transient exposure to immature parasites can leave cats with substantial lung pathology that may persist long after any trace of the parasite has been eliminated. Knowing this, practitioners can take a more aggressive stance in promoting heartworm preventive use in cats."
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 08:13 PM
    Hi froggy,

The way my vet explained it to me is that Yes, cats get heartworms and the heart worms/treatments kill cats.

Even treating a cat with heartworm preventives that are already infected with heartworms could die because the preventive medication kills the larva.

However the mosquito has a harder time biting the cat because of their fur, therefore the number of cats infected are less than dogs.

Best thing is to protect your cats against it because it is a risk.
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 02:28 PM
    And an update: Put Revolution on Pyret again this month, crossed my fingers... and she seems fine. So now I am really wondering what it was that made the bald spot. Maybe she got scraped by something?
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 02:41 PM
    Good news Froggy!
    Hope all continues to go well.
    loara71 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2011, 03:42 AM
    THIS IS AN OLD POST. HOWEVER, someone else might benefit so I will now post to it.
    My cat had this same reaction. This reaction can be caused from the product Revolution. I did happen to also massage it in to the spot and didn't read the directions well that said DON'T DO THAT. So perhaps that is why my cat had the same things as above; ring with dot in middle. It is caused from the tip of the tube and the spot is where the medicine comes out. Hair loss happened in that spot with a small scab later too. My cat is a white cat with fine skin too so that is why I bet. I am going to switch to Advantage now and see if it does it which I think it won't. SO IF YOU USE THIS PRODUCT just don't massage it in.
    lilipete Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2012, 12:21 PM
    I have 12 indoor cats. I feed 16 outdoor cats. In 6 years I have never had a sick cat until mid-May of this year. I walked in some fleas. I do not use anything regularly on any of them. I bought Revolution in two batches 2 days apart. Within 6 days, one of my cats became seriously ill. The vets chalked it up to bronchitus. I then treated all of my indoor cats with antibiotics.. I the last 2 months, 2 indoor cats and 2 outdoor cats have lost a significant amount of weight. One outdoor cat has not come around in 5 days . I took my Checkers (indoor) cat in to the vet today waiting for blood test results. None of them were sick 3 months ago. The vets office swears they have never seen any reaction due to Revolution. They have no indication what could be wrong. During this time I had four other inside cats become quite ill with the same symptoms . Lethargy, coughing and coughing green phlegm. Eight of the 12 were ill and outside the ones I was able to put the Revolution on half seem lethargic and have weight loss. Something is going on here and I do not know what the answer is , except I have asked the office manager to check up on any possible side effects. I do not personally believe we are being told the truth. By the way, I have spent over 2500.00 since the middle of May. I have had no reasonable answers to my questions.
    pnthrpink Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2012, 03:31 PM
    lilipete. I too gave my cat Revolution and have had problems. Nothing like the issues with your cats, thankfully. I hope your cats are doing all right now. I adopted a special needs cat from Texas the beginning of August. He had been treated for fleas by a vet there, and was sent with a box of Revolution for future treatment. I brought him to Colorado, where fleas are almost unheard of. I ended up with a flea infestation after 2 weeks of him being in my house. I treated him with the Revolution as directed. Within a week I noticed a spot on his neck exactly where I administered the dosage. Roundish spot that is all crusty and the hair is falling out. Then by week 2 he has spots all around his neck and on the back of his ears. I am sure it is the Revolution that did it. They seem to be healing now, but they still look so bad (this is week 3). This product needs to be retested if not recalled! Especially if it is making cats lethargic like yours. Beware people. DO NOT USE REVOLUTION!
    blue79rita Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 9, 2012, 10:54 AM
    My cat died from complications arising from a severe reaction to Revolution within a month. Any doubt---don't use it on your cat again. That's common sense. Heart worm is very rare for cats and cats are predisposed to deal with them with their own immune system. Vets and Pfizer etc will tell you anything to sell the damn chemicals. THINK about it before you use it.

Quote Originally Posted by lilipete View Post
    I have 12 indoor cats. I feed 16 outdoor cats. In 6 years i have never had a sick cat until mid-May of this year. I walked in some fleas. I do not use anything regularly on any of them. I bought Revolution in two batches 2 days apart. Within 6 days, one of my cats became seriously ill. The vets chalked it up to bronchitus. I then treated all of my indoor cats with antibiotics.. I the last 2 months, 2 indoor cats and 2 outdoor cats have lost a significant amount of weight. One outdoor cat has not come around in 5 days . I took my Checkers (indoor) cat in to the vet today waiting for blood test results. None of them were sick 3 months ago. The vets office swears they have never seen any reaction due to Revolution. They have no indication what could be wrong. During this time period I had four other inside cats become quite ill with the same symptoms . Lethargy, coughing and coughing green phlegm. Eight of the 12 were ill and outside the ones I was able to put the Revolution on half seem lethargic and have weight loss. Something is going on here and I do not know what the answer is , except I have asked the office manager to check up on any possible side effects. I do not personally believe we are being told the truth. By the way, I have spent over 2500.00 since the middle of May. I have had no reasonable answers to my questions.
    Please be careful, my cat died after a similar reaction to revolution(check for rapid breathing anything above 40 means the heart is under pressure. ) He had a heart condition that was undiagnosed (diagnosed as I was treating him for the severe reaction via xray) but became worse after a severe reaction to revolution that nearly killed him. But he died a month later after throwing a blood clot (saddle thrombus) and then went into severe cardiac failure. Please check your cats at once and read up on saddle throbus, it is a terrible thing for owners to experience best you be prepared. I've no doubt that revolution caused so much stress to his heart and system that he formed an aeortic blood clot that killed him. It was terrible.
    Helch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2014, 05:41 PM
    I see this thread is from 2007, but very helpful. My cat has just had this happen for a second time now (a bald kind of scabby spot where the Revolution was applied) The last time it happened his fur grew back in a couple of weeks. We thought he had just scratched the area. But this time it is much more pronounced and will not be using that on him again. The other two cats are fine...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do we Need another American Revolution? [ 42 Answers ]

Do we need another American Revolution, why or why not? What is your opinion?

Winter/Summer fan revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a condo and there are Hampton Bay ceiling fans in every room. Of course, there are no owner's manuals. Which position does the switch have to be in for updraft and or downdraft. I can't tell just by standing beneath it. Thanks

French soldiers of the American Revolution [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any type of list here in America or France that would list the names of the soldiers or sailors who fought in the American Revolution? I am doing genealogy research on my husband's family and have been told that his 4th great-grandfather came to America to fight in the revolution. We...

French and English Revolution [ 1 Answers ]

I have essya to write and I don't

Revolution topical medication for guinea pigs? [ 1 Answers ]

We have three guinea pigs. The older one is very sick and is being treated by the vet for Sarcoptic Mange (mites) and a kidney disease. The younger two show no signs of the mites and seem perfectly healthy. Obviously, they must be treated but, frankly, the shots from the vet are too expensive. ...

View more questions Search