Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haitchy_94 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2007, 11:18 AM
    pirates of the carabien is such a great film though I can't spell it! Its very funn ybut serious and jonny depp is amazing!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 10:19 AM
    I believe many people are entralled with HP and Pirates is because they are well written stories that can let your imagination go wild.

The chemistry between Swan and Turner in the Pirates triolgy as well as the comedic banter of Sparrow and Barbossa is fun and draws you in and makes you want to be there. I think the same goes for HP. Wouldn't you love to be a student at Hogwarts? I know I would.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 10:43 AM
    I think Harry Potter is popular, not because it is unique,but because it is well marketted like David Bekham.
    I have had no desire to watch the movies or read the books of Harry Potter because it is I feel being shoved into my face too often and I feel sick at the way little kids who do not even read books normally has to buy Harry Potter books.
    The author has good publicity and that is the only reason I would say these books are selling so much.There have been similar stories before, but no one backed them up or were interested enough to make movies of them and market them,hence they remain only in the memories of those who read these books.
    I am not sure if anyone agrees with me or not, but that is what I feel.

About Pirates of the Caribean, that's a well rounded movie of comedy,humour and romance. The best I liked about it is the character of Jack Sparrow.He reminds me of the Pirate Long John Silver(I think that's the name) in Treasure Island.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 10:56 AM
    I don't think I could ever feel sick at children reading a good book that will increase their imagination... reading is reading whether because it is popular or not... if it is the first book they ever picked up, doesn't matter, books are wonderful, and not enough kids read. And its by far much better than being in front of the TV or video games... :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Reading books is a good thing...
    I wish more kids would read too Al, but it is the brainwashing to have particular books etc gripping kids that I feel sick of...
    :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:10 AM
    I don't personally think they are brainwashed. I think the majority of them really enjoy the plot and are attached to the characters... most of the kids who read the books, started at a young age and actually grew with the books over a ten year period... but then again, I have read the books, so I'm a bit attached too :) I can understand a person not reading them and seeing your way though. I wasn't trying to attack you by the way, just trying to understand...
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:20 AM
    I am sure it is a good book/movie... but it will be sometime before I can read or watch it.

The same thing happened with the Titanic, it was being advertised too much when it was released and I just did not want to see it then.
    Years later I watched it and enjoyed it too.

So I am not being hard against it as such,but I hate things when it is everywhere I turn.Maybe years from now, I will watch the movie and/or read the book, when I do I will let you know and I am sure I will like it... but until then...
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:36 AM
    I understand... I am turned off by many things that way...
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:14 PM
    Springgirl... why Didn't you like those movies?

What kind of movies DO you like?
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:29 PM
    I don't dislike them.:)
    I like action movies and comedy, almost all movies but not much of fiction or fantasy.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
    You want to go catch Superbad with me?

You get the tickets... I'll get the popcorn ;)

OK, OK, OK... enough of that. Fiction/fantasy... its really about connecting with your childhood... I mean, we all dreamed of those things as kids, right? Its only as we got older that those things started to seem silly... because it was just "fantasy". Maybe you just needed to be in a different place when you watched them

Second star to the right... straight on till mornin?
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I think Harry Potter is popular, not because it is unique,but because it is well marketted like David Bekham.
    I have had no desire to watch the movies or read the books of Harry Potter because it is I feel being shoved into my face too often and I feel sick at the way little kids who do not even read books normally has to buy Harry Potter books.
    The author has good publicity and that is the only reason I would say these books are selling so much.There have been similar stories before, but no one backed them up or were interested enough to make movies of them and market them,hence they remain only in the memories of those who read these books.

About Pirates of the Caribean, thats a well rounded movie of comedy,humour and romance. The best I liked about it is the character of Jack Sparrow.He reminds me of the Pirate Long John Silver(I think thats the name) in Treasure Island.
    [/QUOTE]Comments on this post
    Igotthafeva disagrees: They are very interesting and well written books... [/QUOTE]

Igotthafeva,
    You did not have to give me a reddie for just that...
    It is opinion, not fact :)
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:48 PM
    you want to go catch Superbad with me?

You get the tickets... I'll get the popcorn ;)
    Nah, Let Chuff get the tickets, you get the popcorn, and only we go.;)

OK, OK, OK... enough of that. Fiction/fantasy... its really about connecting with your childhood... I mean, we all dreamed of those things as kids, right? Its only as we got older that those things started to seem silly... because it was just "fantasy". Maybe you just needed to be in a different place when you watched them

Second star to the right... straight on till mornin?
    I do watch them sometimes, just for entertainment. What is "second star on the right'meaning?:rolleyes:
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 12:55 PM
    No wonder you are called nicespringgirl...
    Thanks for the balancer :)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 01:00 PM
    I wanted to Firm, but had to spread the love...
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 01:04 PM
    Alkalineangel,
    I couldn't either...
    Thanks for the thought... :)

Hey Emland,
    Welcome to the club!
    ;)
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 01:18 PM
    Well, I'll let you get your hustle on with Chuff.. that evil clown would probably eat me if I tried lol

2nd star to the right and straight on till morning is the directions to Neverland... if you ever need to get in touch with your childhood, Neverland is the place to go ;)
    LunarBlue Posts: 88, Reputation: 10

Aug 29, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I feel the same way. If any american classic was promoted as much as Harry Potter, then maybe we would see kids reading some awesome books that some states will not even allow in libraries.

I did read the first harry potter book, but it did not capture my interest at all, and I absolutely LOVE to read.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early 90's show about a pirate ghost [ 3 Answers ]

This has been driving me nuts for a while: Does anyone remember the title of a show, late 80's/early 90's, only last one year, where a guy buys or inherits a house in the Caribbean and discovers it is haunted by the ghost of a black pirate. The two team up, the living guy dresses up and pretends...

The Pirate Movie, starring Christy McNichol [ 9 Answers ]

I purchased my favorite movie online: The Pirate's Movie, starring Christy McNichol. But, when I received the movie, I tried to play it in my dvd player, and it said "wrong region." So, I tracked the company down, and they told me that it is a european dvd, and that I will not be able to play it...

80s hbo pirate cartoon? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't know much but slight details my older brother reminded me about a sci fi cartoon with piratelike characters and the captain pirate had somekind of eypiece and some other guy had one eye(huge eye) and you that's all I remember its not stargazer. Thanks please help Ive searched all of Google.

Caribbean Pirate Movie without Cofresi? [ 6 Answers ]

I was recently seeing a preview of the movie Pirates of the Caribean and couldn't help but notice the glaring omission of the famous Puerto Rican Pirate Cofresi who was wreaking havoc wth shipping in that area. In fact, other nations protested to Spain asking the government to stop him. He was said...

View more questions Search