Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emsing33 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Promotion, employer requires live scan
    HI To All,

Here's some detail about my history, 3 yrs ago, I was caught of theft on employment. The police was called, came and asked me questions, took my id info down but did not booked me nor fingerprint me. About 1 month later, I received a letter from the county court and I was summoned to court.

I hired a lawyer, I am not sure what plea was entered. I was charged of misdemeanor embezzlement. The final disposition was for me to attend theft class and if I stay out of trouble , finish the class, the charged will be dismissed. I was told by my lawyer that they initially reduced the charge from embezzelement to petty theft. Then a month later, when they received my result from the theft class, my lawyer told me the charge has been dismissed.

Almost 3 yrs has passed, I have not been in any trouble and I will never get into the same predicament again. I am in a great career, I am told by my employer that they are considering promoting me. You must be wondering how I got this job. When I was waiting for a date to appear in court because I postpone the 1st date, I applied for this position, a criminal background check was done. I also applied for US citizenship a year ago, did a live-scan, USCIS required a criminal check, I have since received my naturalization certificate.
    The thing is, the new position requires me to go for a live-scan check and I am worried to hell that this charge will show up. Shld I be worried about the live-scan fingerprints check? Also, shld I consider getting my record expunged since it was dismissed?
    I thank you in advance for reading my long, long story :) .
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 12:47 PM
    Only convictions go into the record. Since the case was dismissed you shouldn't worry.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2007, 07:29 AM
    If the charge was dismissed, then you were never convicted of anything. Therefore the charge should not show up on the live-scan check.
    robinsjoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 05:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Only convictions go into the record. Since the case was dismissed you shouldn't worry.
    I have to say there is a lot of confusing information out there. Here is the deal, I have gone through it.
    About 5 years ago I was on the wrong end and with a bad person and was charged with a misdemeanor. Did my probation, paid my fines and went to court. In the end my attorney requested dismissal of the charges due to me fulfilling my obligation and she requested change of plea to not guilty.
    1. charged
    2. paid my time
    3. request for changed of plea to innocent
    4. requested for dismissal

So the deal is that if you are a first timer and do what they ask, then they can change plea after and have dismissed. Then you get a paper from courts and your attorney stating that you have the legal right to say no on an application to :have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?

Now down to the LIVESCAN/background check,,
    I applied for a job that just did a basic background... nothing there.
    I applied for a childcare job that used LIVESCAN (which goes through a county agency) DOJ (dept. of justice, FBI, etc) BANG there is was.
    So there are many factors to the equations. Even if it is dismissed, expunged, the LIVE SCAN will show it. They will send you a packet to fill out regarding the charges and have you ask that it be excluded from consideration.

But, even though I was convicted and then plea changed and dismissed.. IT STILL SHOWED UP> the jist of it, is be honest with your employer
    robinsjoy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 2, 2009, 05:30 PM

I have to say there is a lot of confusing information out there. Here is the deal, I have gone through it.
    About 5 years ago I was on the wrong end and with a bad person and was charged with a misdemeanor. Did my probation, paid my fines and went to court. In the end my attorney requested dismissal of the charges due to me fulfilling my obligation and she requested change of plea to not guilty.
    1. charged
    2. paid my time
    3. request for changed of plea to innocent
    4. requested for dismissal

So the deal is that if you are a first timer and do what they ask, then they can change plea after and have dismissed. Then you get a paper from courts and your attorney stating that you have the legal right to say no on an application to :have you ever been convicted of a felony or misdemeanor?

Now down to the LIVESCAN/background check,,
    I applied for a job that just did a basic background... nothing there.
    I applied for a childcare job that used LIVESCAN (which goes through a county agency) DOJ (dept. of justice, FBI, etc) BANG there is was.
    So there are many factors to the equations. Even if it is dismissed, expunged, the LIVE SCAN will show it. They will send you a packet to fill out regarding the charges and have you ask that it be excluded from consideration.

But, even though I was convicted and then plea changed and dismissed.. IT STILL SHOWED UP> the jist of it, is be honest with your employe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will my dismissed case show up on LIVE SCAN? [ 4 Answers ]

I have an excellent job opportunity that has come up but requires LIVE SCAN and a background check. My concern is that I have a past conviction (theft) that was eventually expunged/dismissed by my lawyer and a plea of not guilty was entered. The expungement was granted by the court about 10 years...

Birthday and promotion [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I have not contacted my ex in four months... and I'm doing pretty good. I have my moments at times but I am continuing with my life with the support of a dear friend who has stood by me and provided me with much encouragement howeve, my ex received a promotion as well as is going to...

Live in Wy. Employer in Ca. Work in several states [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming which has no state income tax. My employer is based in California. I work at different sites in California, Arizona, and Nevada. (also no state tax) My employer takes California state taxes out no matter where I work. What is my best option when filing taxes at the years end and...

Employer in VA, I Live in NH which State Tax should be Withheld and filed for? [ 1 Answers ]

I work for and receive salary from, a company based in VA. I work in Boston, MA at the location of a Client of my employer. I live in NH and commute to MA. Which State Tax my employer should withheld and Where should I file my Tax Returns? Is it VA because the source of Salary is from VA based...

Employer in VA. Work in MA. Live in NH. Whom I should pay taxes. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I work as a contractor in MA on behalf of my employer who is based in VA. I live in NH. I receive pay check from VA based company for the work performed at their client's office in MA. I live in NH. To which state(s) I should pay taxes to?

View more questions Search