Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shammer Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 12:06 PM
    Withdraw 401K
    If I quit my job, can I close my 401k and take the money and invest it myself? I have 71000 in the account and I want to start my own business, but I would like to use the 401k to pay off my house and other debts.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 12:07 PM
    You may only transfer the money to another 401K account whether that be at a new employer or through a bank or financial institution. That money is earmarked as 401K money and cannot be transferred to a savings account or anything like that.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 12:09 PM
    Yes and no. You can definitely roll the balance over into an IRA (it does not have to be another 401K) and then self direct it as to investments. But if you do not roll it over into qualified plan then you will pay a 10% penalty, plus the $71K will be added to your 2007 income, thereby increasing your tax liability.

So I would not recommend using that money.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401k early withdraw penalties [ 16 Answers ]

I am considering quiting my present job and using my 401k money to open a business and was wondering what percentage of the balance that I would be subject to loose?

Early Withdraw [ 1 Answers ]

Can you tell me what the penalties are for early withdraw from 401k on the state and federal levels

Withdraw 401k [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting ready to leave my employment with UPS and would like to withdraw all of my 401k to get all current bills paid off and start over. I am moving to another state

401k Early withdraw hardship [ 1 Answers ]

I had to take 17k for a hardship withdraw on my 401k. Will I have to pay federal taxes on this?

Procedure to withdraw 401k money [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was employed with an american firm till the end of September 2006. I am no longer living in the US. I want to withdraw my entire 401 K amount early next year. What is the procedure to withdraw the money ? There is a tax penalty of 10%... when I receive the amount, will it be the...

View more questions Search