Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JOBLADYJUDY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2007, 10:18 AM
    Adoption from biological Father to Step Father
    Hello:
    One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights.

She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost.

If she can do , whether a good idea or not where do you get the proper forms?
    She was told it would cost $5,000 at least to go through an attorney and she cannot afford this.

Thanks,
    Jobladyjudy
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 10, 2007, 01:45 PM
    I'm not so sure that an uncontested adoption should cost $5000. At $250 per hour, you're talking 20 hours worth of work! It shouldn't take that much time to draft up a paper, have the concerned parties sign it and file it with the court. Maybe half that amount at best. Now, if the adoption were going to be contested and involve multiple court hearings, that'd be a different story. Have her talk with an actual family lawyer. Most will do free or low-cost initial consults, at which time (s)he can quote a fairly reasonable estimated cost.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 01:47 PM
    I would shop around for another attorney, it should be much less for a non contested adoptoin.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 02:10 PM
    I agree... if the bio father is consenting it shouldn't cost too much... and its worth it to not have to go through all the hassle yourself, and to make sure you have all the correct papers, and they are all filled out and filed correctly.

But to answer the question, she could call the court house. They usually have websites in which she would be able to download all the forms. Sometimes the public library, in the reference section, will have the information she needs as well :)
    proudmom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JOBLADYJUDY
    Hello:
    One of my employees has children by her now husband and former husband. Her present husband wants to adopt her two children from her former husband. The biological Father is willing to relinquish his rights.

She wants to draw up the papers without an Attorney because of the cost.

If she can do , whether a good idea or not where do you get the proper forms?
    She was told it would cost $5,000 at least to go through an attorney and she cannot afford this.

Thanks,
    jobladyjudy
    What state do they live in? Some big attornies will do this for free. I had an attorney do it for free in Indiana stating that they seldome get happy cases. Try to call around or better yet... write some letters to big attornies. They can have the new attornies in their offices do the paperwork and the rest is simple.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2007, 04:50 PM
    My cousin in MO is doing a very similar thing, their attorney fee is going to be about 800 dollars, ( they are of course complaining about that price also)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Step Father adoption without lawyer, and costs? [ 6 Answers ]

My daughter is almost 6 years old and has had no contact with her bio father since she was 12 days old. I've been with my husband now since my daughter was 7 months old and he wants to adopt her. The bio father is willing to give up rights for my husband to adopt. So would it still be too...

Step Father Adoption [ 3 Answers ]

Can a step father adopt children when the biological father is in jail? Does he have to have consent if the father is being deported back to Mexico? Thank you, Janie

Adoption of my daughter by her step father [ 2 Answers ]

I have remarried legally in register office for the 2nd time, since I am a legal divorcée, I have a girl baby, which is 5 years old from 1st husband, her bio-father has not taken up any responsibility and even visiting rights, since he also got married and settled. Now my 2nd husband wants to...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search