Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    michellet218 Posts: 51, Reputation: 0

Aug 3, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Fashion designer wannabe
    Is there anyone out there looking for a fashion designer that can draw out ideas, but can't sew? If not, do you know where I can go to find someone like that? Anywhere I can look? I'm trying to teach myself how to sew a little better, but until then, what to do?:confused:
    jobdoc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by michellet218
    Is there anyone out there looking for a fashion designer that can draw out ideas, but can't sew? If not, do you know where I can go to find someone like that? Anywhere I can look? I'm trying to teach myself how to sew a little better, but until then, what to do?:confused:
    Besides running a fashion job board, I also own a denim company. There are loads of low-cost programs (probably at your local junior/community college) that offer solid sewing, draping, marking, grading and pattern making classes. If you tell me what geographical area you live in, I can probably point you to a trade school that will offer some cool classes.

JobDoc

Aug 26, 2007, 01:17 PM
    To Jobdoc,
    From michellet218

My geographical area is Columbia, SC.
    tofubandits Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 8, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Where could I go in st. louis?

May 2, 2008, 11:23 AM
    Anyone looking for a Fashion Illustrator?
    Is anyone looking to hire a fashion illustrator? Like I said before, I'm a 23 yr old fashion designer wannabe(drawing fashion since I was 10). I know how to draw really well, but I can't sew that good. I'm almost there, but not quite yet. I'm tired of people seeing my fashions, and telling me "oh, those are really nice and creative drawings! you need to be in the fashion industry!" When they say stuff like that, I get kind of down, because that's how bad I want to be a fashion designer! Yes, I'm going to school and is taking up sewing classes as they come along. But in the meantime... Long story short, let me know if you know where I can look to get a fashion job, or fashion illustration. Or if anyone is looking for one I would really appreciate it! ;)

May 2, 2008, 11:25 AM
    Is anyone looking for a Fashion Illustrator?
    Is anyone looking to hire a fashion illustrator? Like I said before, I'm a 23 yr old fashion designer wannabe(drawing fashion since I was 10). I know how to draw really well, but I can't sew that good. I'm almost there, but not quite yet. I'm tired of people seeing my fashions, and telling me "oh, those are really nice and creative drawings! you need to be in the fashion industry!" When they say stuff like that, I get kind of down, because that's how bad I want to be a fashion designer! Yes, I'm going to school and is taking up sewing classes as they come along. But in the meantime... Long story short, let me know if you know where I can look to get a fashion job, or fashion illustration. Or if anyone is looking for one I would really appreciate it! :o
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 4, 2008, 04:20 AM
    Have you tried the following search? I do know how frustrating it can be looking for jobs, but if you use the right combinations of words in searches, you can oftentimes find just what you are looking for.

Fashion Illustrator Jobs Available - Google Search
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

May 4, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Have you thought about doing a fashion course at a college?
    Somewhere like this London College of Fashion

It will help develop your skills, create a strong portfolio and teach you where and how to apply for jobs. Also most art based courses have final exhibitions where talented people can be spotted by companies.

EDIT
    Fashion Illustrator Job & Career Info At Fashion-Schools.org

May 19, 2008, 11:59 AM
    Has anyone ever studied through Penn Foster or Stratford Career Institute?
    :confused: Wuzup,
    I'm a 23 year old fashion designer wannabe (read my other posts, please). I know how to draw, but am not that good at sewing. I'm currently taking a sewing class at a local fabric store (Hancock Fabrics) but it's not enough for me, because it's so short!! Wednesdays only for 5 weeks (1 day out the week).I like it because it's teaching me something, which is better than nothing, but that's all I can find right now. I was thinking for a long time whether going through Penn Foster or Stratford Career Institute, but I'm hearing a few bad things about them... Stratford especially. I know it's better to have hands on experience when it comes to sewing, but I think these schools can still teach me SOMETHING through books and online. But I keep looking at people's reviews from these schools and some have good stuff to say about them, and the other half doesn't. So that's making me skeptical of whether I should go through with it or not. I need someone's opinion that has been with these 2 schools, & other schools, too. What should I find out before I go through with it? WHAT SHOULD I ASK? How are they when it comes to payments or cancelling, shipping, or shipping costs, fee, and a lot of other stuff that I should know before I apply to these schools. If anyone knows from experience, or knows someone that been through them, PLEASE HELP A SISTA OUT! I will appreciate it! :)

May 23, 2008, 08:09 AM
    Is an at Home Fashion Illustration Job a good idea?
    :confused: Once again, I'm a 23 fashion designer wannabe (read my other posts). I know how to draw really really well, but I can't sew that great yet. I wanted to make an at home sewing business, but still learning how to sew. Have to get a lil' better at it first. So next thing I'm thinking is starting a home business where I can design someone's outfit, wedding/prom dress, etc... & they get someone to sew it. But it just does not sound right to me! People want someone to design AND make their outfit... they are not going to want to look on their own to find someone to sew their outfit! Right? Or wrong?Please tell me, I don't really know. And I don't know anyone that I can refer them to, except the yellow pages (lol). If I start this business, how will people react? Are there actually people out there looking for someone to draw their wedding dress etc but not sew it? How should I advertise something like this? Or what should I put on my business card? "I can design it, but you have to find someone to sew it yourself". That just don't sound right. Any other questions and/or answers you come up with, please post them! Thanks ;)
    Uber Member

May 24, 2008, 04:18 AM
    Yes, I have seen your other posts and have also responded to one of them awhile back. I know that you have a dream here that you are trying to live. That's great!

However, for most dreams as far a doing a business, there are usually a lot of steps that you have to take in order to accomplish your goal.

What sort of experience, training and schooling do you already have concerning what you would like to do, please? Have you already had someone who wants you to design a dress for them?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

May 24, 2008, 05:08 AM
    Threads merged

May 25, 2008, 12:08 PM
    :confused: From my view, most of my questions are all together. Why are 4 of my questions on the same post? Shouldn't my questions have been separated from each other? Is it because I asked too many questions? Is there a limit to how many questions to ask? If anyone knows why, please let me know.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2008, 03:03 AM
    Yes, your questions have been merged. Part of the reason for that is that it can get really confusing for people responding to your question in one topic area if the same question as well as maybe identical answers are also posted in multiple topic areas. It's best to keep questions and answers about the same question on one thread.

I did ask you some questions in post #11 above. It would be great and very helpful for us here if you would answer them.

Thanks!

May 27, 2008, 05:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, I have seen your other posts and have also responded to one of them awhile back. I know that you have a dream here that you are trying to live. That's great!

However, for most dreams as far a doing a business, there are usually a lot of steps that you have to take in order to accomplish your goal.

What sort of experience, training and schooling do you already have concerning what you would like to do, please? Have you already had someone who wants you to design a dress for them?
    My experience isn't really a lot, or professional, whatever you want to call it. I have been drawing since I was in the single digits, but was drawing fashions since I was 10 and because of that, my experience in drawing fashion designs has been pretty good to me. Others have thought I went to school for it already because they say the drawings were so good, but I tell them I haven't studied it yet in school. I'm still taking basic courses (english, math, etc.. )& got a long way to go before I start studying in my field:mad: . I've read books, looked online, and did some personal studying about fashion designing, sewing, and fashion illustration. So, that's my experience. I just don't have a degree or certificate to prove it :-), only the creativity. I've been training/schooling on sewing. I've mostly taught myself, but I took a total of 2 sewing classes in 2 yrs. It's teaching me something, but not a lot because they were so short.but it's a start. It's just a class a local fabric store put together.So you don't get a certificate or anything. Just some knowledge. I've had someone a few yrs ago that wanted me to design a dress for some kind of event she was hosting. We talked about it, had lunch& everything but she just disappeared and never called me.I made a few sketches for her (which she never got), and tried to call her over and over, but she never answered the phone! This whole thing was over a period of 2months,from us talking to her not picking up the phone! I also had a hook up at some recording label.they get young people to get noticed in music & modeling, but he was going to help me get a coloring book published. I drew a coloring book and gave it to him (after I made copies& got it notorized). He wound up closing up shop because he owed too much $$$ or something I heard, and skipped town! Everyone that was with that label was looking for him, but no one knew were he went!Everyone was ticked off! I'm still looking4him online & stuff.So that's my luck w/ that. I can't find anyone I can trust. But I won't give up :) I'm just learning from my mistakes to make me better at what I want to do. Hope I didn't write too much! I tend to do that sometimes LOL ;)

May 27, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Yes, your questions have been merged. Part of the reason for that is that it can get really confusing for people responding to your question in one topic area if the same question as well as maybe identical answers are also posted in multiple topic areas. It's best to keep questions and answers about the same question on one thread.

I did ask you some questions in post #11 above. It would be great and very helpful for us here if you would answer them.

Thanks!
    It's confusing... I don't like it that way.
    Are we allowed to erase some of our old questions? If so, how do I do that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fashion designer wannabe that can draw but can't sew. [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: Hi! My name is Michelle T. and I'm a 22 year old living in Columbia, SC. My dream for the past 12 years was to become a fashion designer. I'm currently attending college so that I can persure my dream one day. I can draw really REALLY well, and my family, friends, and even people I...

. To a young wannabe lawyer [ 2 Answers ]

I want to be a divorce lawyer but everyone asks why and I don't know any answer I really like law but don't know what to do with my life.

Wannabe Me [ 2 Answers ]

Recently there has been someone on the internet acting like me and calling himself by my name. He chats to people on MSN Messenger and picks fights with people. These people come to me when they see me and are very mad at me. I try to tell them that it was not me but they just keep coming an I...

View more questions Search