Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Momar61 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2005, 11:11 AM
    Crown molding
    I need help installing crown molding. Is it necessary to use adhesive as well as nails?
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2005, 09:42 PM
    I'm not a pro so this is just my understanding... somebody with more exp will give you a better answer.

The benefit of using a paintable, latex or siliconized adhesive caulk is that it helps the molding adhere (obviously) and it can also help fill in any gaps between the molding and wall/ceiling. This can also help you position the molding. Then nails into studs.

Can you get away without nails? I expect the adhesive might let you use fewer nails, but I'd probably still place some nails into the studs.

How big is the molding? I know some people also attach a "backer board" (my term... don't know what its properly called) to the wall first for greater support and some use glue/nailing blocks for even greater support with bigger molding. The bigger the molding the more supprt you'll need.

Again, someone with more exp can confirm this or correct my error.
    JCH Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Aug 8, 2005, 04:43 AM
    Crown moulding
    Hi Momar,

I've installed many types of crown moulding. Nails are just fine but if you want to make job easier use an air nailer. This fasten the moulding more quick and also countersink nails. Therefore no need to disturb perfect mitred joints by setting heads of nail.
    Also if your wall/ceiling isn't perfectly straight and you have small gap between crown and wall/ceiling, use paintable latex caulk to hide these imperfection and sometimes use caulk on "not so tight" joints.
    Try these tricks and your job will look great.
    Good luck.
    JC
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Aug 11, 2005, 06:59 AM
    What type of molding?
    Hi,

Are you using wood molding or synthetic?

I have installed a lot of the synthetic stuff recently and I use both nails and caulk. I have had good luck with this process and I can do it by myself.

When I tried wood I found it to be less forgiving than the foam stuff so if your walls are at all wavy, you will have some gaps. Thus, you will need caulk, so why not put a bead along with edges before you install it.

And just a curiousity question, are you mitering and coping the corners or are you wimping out like me and using corner blocks?

Final suggestion: whenever you have a run that requires you to join two pieces, make sure that you use a scarf joint. I also put some caulk on it. And, I try to make it just a tad long so that it will fit snug.

Good luck, Dan
    DustinBH Posts: 34, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2005, 06:41 PM
    Corner blocks are awesome, you just tell everyone that it was for looks ;)
    harleyds Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Jan 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Old Thread, new question...
    I'm about to install some crown molding, but I have a unique issue. My walls don't have wooden studs, I have metal studs.

What is the best way to anchor the crown molding? I have the same problem with my baseboards, but I just put some nails in to them which sinks in to the sheetrock and holds it long enough for the chalking to dry and hold it. I'm a bit worried about the crown molding falling down later with the help of gravity...

Any thoughts?
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Jan 4, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Its best to use an air nailer (brad or finish) You can fasten the crown by "pinning". That is when you criss-cross 2 nails at the same location on the crown. A lot of time its even hard to hit wood studs unless you find where they're at. I "pin" crown I install all the time. Especially when the crown runs parallel to the above floor framing.
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Jan 5, 2006, 05:54 AM
    Pinning works great, I really love my brad nailer.

Another alternative is to use a quick grab style of construction adhesive. They have a great quick tack strength so they grab hold right away. And when you use it in combination with pinning, you have a great system.

Still another alternative is to use trim head screws. They are long and use a #1 Square drive so the heads are real small. I think they work with metal studs as well.

Good Luck, Dan

Jan 5, 2006, 10:22 PM
    I thought I saw a "small Headed" screw somewhere, but I have not been able to find it since. That would probably do the trick. An issue I found after I installed the trim is that one of my walls is not straight. It curves in about 4 feet from the corner because of the way the doors in my hallway are laid out. Not the best design, but I guess I have to live with it.

Thanks for the help
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

May 20, 2007, 07:24 PM
    As Long As It Is Wood Or Mdf Just Use Nails If It Is The Plastic, Take It Back And Get The Real Stuff. If This Is Your First Time Installing Crown Using The Corner Blocks Will Really Help With The Angels. Good Luck Nichols Trim
    mike08201 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Theoretically speaking, you cannot nail in tin studs. There was a job we supplied down in Dc where the installer put door up using that pinning method spoken of here, what a installation horror show.

The 'correct' method of fastening to tin studs is trim screws. They have small button heads just like finish nails.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 20, 2007, 09:25 PM
    Thanks for people who are trying to help by posting an answer to the question.

I hope that people posting an answer to this have noticed the date on the original post.

I would think that the original poster has probably already found an answer to their question.
    mike08201 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2007, 03:51 AM
    LOL!

Good point, didn't bother to look, it was at the top of the list yesterday LOL
    Remington Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 28, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by harleyds
    I'm about to install some crown molding, but I have a unique issue. My walls don't have wooden studs, I have metal studs.

What is the best way to anchor the crown molding? I have the same problem with my baseboards, but I just put some nails in to them which sinks in to the sheetrock and holds it long enough for the chalking to dry and hold it. I'm a bit worried about the crown molding falling down later with the help of gravity....

Any thoughts?
    You could make the crown moulding install in two ways, actually 3.

1. Install a backer board or blocks first to the wall with sheetrock screws through the sheetrock and into the metal studs and then attach the moulding with finish nails in the normal fashion.

2. Intall the crown directly to the wall with a trim screw. They have a very small head and will firmly attach the moulding to the metal studs. You just need to get them a bit longer.

3. A combination of both 1 and 2.

Good luck.

Aug 6, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Thanks for people who are trying to help by posting an answer to the question.

I hope that people posting an answer to this have noticed the date on the original post.

I would think that the original poster has probably already found an answer to their question.
    Maybe so, but to have all these great responses just makes this thread available for those that know how to use the search button.
    jw7727 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2009, 02:59 PM

cut small pieces of 2x4s and glue to wall and ceiling then you will have a place to nail your crown. Make sure the block are cut at the same angle as your crown rune, not all crown is 45, some is 52 and 38.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2009, 07:08 AM
    I realize this is an old thread, But I posted some sites to help out the curious seekers. Updating Visual instructions on cutting crown molding. The biggest problem in cutting crown molding is getting the molding to sit in the miter saw fence properly with its small flats on the back of the crown. I posted some sites below that should help in cutting Crown Molding. Always Use proper safety equipment and glass's

Cutting Crown Molding in Position Part 1
    YouTube - Cutting Crown Molding in Position Part 1

Cutting Crown Molding in Position Part 2
    YouTube - Cutting Crown Molding in Position Part 2

Crown Molding in 3 Easy Steps! Understanding the "spring" On the crown to set in miter saw properly with a gig for big crown measuring wall angles before cutting crown
    YouTube - Crown Molding in 3 Easy Steps!

Crown Molding gigs
    crown molding jig - Google Search

Cutting Crown Molding the Simple Way (HQ) adding to fence height.
    YouTube - Cutting Crown Molding the Simple Way (HQ)

Coping Crown molding: Jig saw
    YouTube - Coping Crown Mold

Coping Crown: with grinder
    YouTube - Coping with a grinder

Coping Molding: Hand coping saw
    YouTube - coping 101

Cutting Foam Crown molding.

Basic in cutting crown molding
    YouTube - How To Cut Crown Molding

How to cut crown molding outside bull nose corners
    YouTube - How to cut crown molding outside bull nose corners. Creative Crown

How to cut a crown molding outside corner
    YouTube - How to cut a crown molding outside corner. Creative Crown

Crown Molding corner blocks
    YouTube - How to install crown molding corner blocks. Creative Crown

Vaulted ceiling cuts
    YouTube - How to cut vaulted up crown molding corner. Creative Crown

Cutting vaulted ceiling angled corner down slope
    YouTube - How to cut vaulted up crown molding corner. Creative Crown

Signed 21 Boat

If I Helped To Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown lengthening necessary? [ 23 Answers ]

I had a root canal on Fri and went back to the dentist on Mon for a temp crown and fitting for a permanent crown. The dentist took out the temp crown that the endodontist had used and grinded away most of my tooth. After that, she drew me a diagram, told me that I needed a crown lengthening and...

Crown molding [ 3 Answers ]

Question 1 What type of nails do I use for the real wood crown molding? Question 2 How do I measure the angle, in degrees, of my ceiling? It is something other than 90 or 45? I was hoping to use something simpler than Trig functions.

Crown molding [ 6 Answers ]

I need help to cope a inside 45 on crown molding

Tough molding cut [ 2 Answers ]

Maybe this is possible? Trying to run molding horizontal along the top of tile above a shower surround and match it with a piece running vertical along each side of the shower. These are 90 degrees from each other on each plane - any trim carpenters out there that can help me with these cuts? Don't...

Pain under a crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have a long established crown It has started to give pain The dentist says there may be a cracked tooth underneath With an infection He also says I would lose the tooth if he took off the crown Is there anything I can take to deal with a possible infection?

View more questions Search