Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kattygirl Posts: 131, Reputation: 3

Aug 2, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Next concern
    My husband and I are trying to buy a house but in the meantime we are renting. A month ago we got a new landlord. He has told us that we need to either get rid of our dog or leave. I can't afford to pay 1st, last, and rent on a new place and I already paid the last landlord 375 towards the dog. Can he do this? I really think it is because my husband has complained a couple of times about loud neighbors and people parking in the fire lanes. Can we be evicted if we have always paid our rent on time and can he just decide he doesn't like us and make us leave?
    LisaB4657 Posts: 3,662, Reputation: 534
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:59 PM
    Do you have a written lease? If you do then you don't have to go anywhere until the lease term is over. If you don't have a written lease then the landlord can end your tenancy with 30 days advance notice.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 02:00 PM
    What does the lease agreement say about having pets? Are there any circumstance in the agreement where the landlord can forbid you having a pet?
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Is the money you paid for the dog ($375) outlined in the lease as a pet deposit? Does it say anything about pets or the rules of having them in the lease? I think (not 100%) that if you are in violation of a lease that they can ask you to leave. But, since you have paid some sort of pet deposit - you may be safe. Did you keep records?

Aug 3, 2007, 07:37 AM
    The pet policy was that you had to pay a deposit and no big dogs. Mine is a small dog and I paid the policy. Our lease though ended last January.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2007, 07:44 AM
    If you paid a pet deposit and can prove it, then he may not be able to evict you. I think even on a month to month lease, he would have a hard time getting a court to go along with it only because of a pet issue.

But that's still iffy, he might win. He might claim that he is terminating the lease because he wants to and no special reason. Essentially on a month to month, he can terminate at any time with sufficient notice.
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 07:48 AM
    That is true - with a month to month - either party can terminate with (usually) a 30 day written notice.
    Has he provided you that? Or is all of this verbal?

Aug 3, 2007, 09:17 AM
    So far it has all been verbal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concern [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 40 year old woman, and for the last two weeks my breasts have been in pain to the touch,

Concern female [ 1 Answers ]

I know that you can get pregnant while on you period,but is it normal for your period to stop for a while and start up again

Whom It may Concern [ 1 Answers ]

Please may u answer for me this question it is about economics. Tell me the difference between static production possibility frontier and dynamic production possibility frontier? Thanks.

Concern [ 2 Answers ]

I am a single mom with sixteen year old son , I have been receiving child support for him , every since he was 2 years old. His father and I have never married. Until recently his father became disabled , amd my son now receives benefits from his record. I was getting child support thourgh the...

Concern [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 22 and I have been experiencing sharp breast pain, and I have a light spotting. I have been on the ortho tri-cyclen for 3 months and this is the first one that spotting and breast pain occur. I had my period 10 ago and I don't know what to think. Is this something due to the pill or should I...

View more questions Search