Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Why would a walk-off grand slam count as 1 run?
    A few years ago I was watching a baseball game that went into extra innings with the score tied 3-3, when in the bottom of the 15th inning one of the home team players hit a home run with the bases loaded. It was the first walk-off grand slam in Major League baseball post-season history. But the final score was recorded as 4-3, instead of 7-3 as you might expect.

Can you guess as to why this was?

I'll post back later with the explanation.
    mountain_man Posts: 269, Reputation: 45

Aug 2, 2007, 12:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines
    A few years ago I was watching a baseball game that went into extra innings with the score tied 3-3, when in the bottom of the 15th inning one of the home team players hit a home run with the bases loaded. It was the first walk-off grand slam in Major League baseball post-season history. But the final score was recorded as 4-3, instead of 7-3 as you might expect.

Can you guess as to why this was?

I'll post back later with the explanation.
    Because only one run was needed for the win, because the home team was at bat.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man
    b/c only one run was needed for the win, b/c the home team was at bat.

Nope - that's not it.
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 2, 2007, 12:43 PM
    As a MAJOR Braves fan and I remember the game in 1999, I know the answer.

Mets won 4-3. The hit was counted as a single because the guy at first base hugged the guy who hit the grand slam instead of proceeding to third and allowing the hitter to proceed to second. It wasn't a really costly hug for the team, but it fooled with Ventura's stats that year.

What do I win?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Under previous baseball rules, Mountain man's answer is correct. Since only one run was needed for the won, only one run was recorded. The rules were changed not too long ago so that a home run would be counted as a home run. But, if the bases are loaded and the batter hiots hwat might have been a double as soon as one run crosses the plate the game is over.

However, Goldie might be right about this specific instance.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMae
    As a MAJOR Braves fan and I remember the game in 1999, I know the answer.

Mets won 4-3. The hit was counted as a single because the guy at first base hugged the guy who hit the grand slam instead of proceeding to third and allowing the hitter to proceed to second. It wasn't a really costly hug for the team, but it fooled with Ventura's stats that year.

What do I win?
    GoldieMae is correct! Ventura touched first (thankfully!) but he never got to 2nd base, as he was mobbed by his team mates and was unable to proceed. So officially it wasn't a grand slam, just a 1-run single. Goldie - as your prize, you'll get to watch the Mets in action this post season while your Braves are passing time out on the golf links!;)

Tim McCarver had a similar problem back in 1976 when he was with Philly - he hit an apparent grand slam, but in his home run trot he passed the runner on first, who had stopped to make sure the ball cleared the fence and wasn't caught. McCarver was called out, and credited with a 3-run single.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Under previous baseball rules, Mountain man's answer is correct. Since only one run was needed for the won, only one run was recorded. The rules were changed not too long ago so that a home run would be counted as a home run.
    Right - the rule changed in the 1920's, just as Babe Ruth was beginning to hit his prodigous blasts. Now some folks may think the 1920's were not too long ago, but that's certainly before my time!

Aug 2, 2007, 01:03 PM
    GoldieMae is correct! Ventura touched first (thankfully!) but he never got to 2nd base, as he was mobbed by his team mates and was unable to proceed. So officially it wasn't a grand slam, just a 1-run single. Goldie - as your prize, you'll get to watch the Mets in action this post season while your Braves are passing time out on the golf links!;)

Tim McCarver had a similar problem back in 1976 when he was with Philly - he hit an apparent grand slam, but in his home run trot he passed the runner on first, who had stopped to make sure the ball cleared the fence and wasn't caught. McCarver was called out, and credited with a 3-run single.
    Okay, smarty-pants, who most recently hit a walk-off grand slam?
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMae
    Okay, smarty-pants, who most recently hit a walk-off grand slam?
    I don't know, but a quick Google search turned up Russell Martin of the Dodgers who hit one on April 21 this year.

Aug 3, 2007, 07:38 PM
    Ryan Zimmerman, May 2007, Nationals.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 26, 2007, 02:37 PM
    It doesn't, it would count as 4 runs, in your league they may have different rules
    Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 05:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by glavine
    it doesnt, it would count as 4 runs, in your league they may have different rules
    Did you not read the responses posted earlier? The league is Major League Baseball. Robin Ventura was indeed only credited with a 1 RBI single, even though he hit the ball out of the park with the bases loaded. Strange, but true.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 27, 2007, 08:47 PM
    That is, we play in the msbl. Just an ameture league , we had the same thing happen it was posted the next night counts all the runs... if I was robin, id want all those rbi's
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2007, 09:29 PM
    Goldie - as your prize, you'll get to watch the Mets in action this post season while your Braves are passing time out on the golf links!;)
    now that was just mean spirited! =) I think you owe goldie a drink and an apology for telling the truth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When it's raining, should I walk or run? [ 13 Answers ]

Presuming no wind, and rain coming straight down, will I get wetter walking or running? I'd think that it would be running, as I'd be forcing more rain to hit the front of me which is more area than my head and shoulders. There are plenty of hits googling it - but I read some logical...

Does his in come count? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex has filed for a review of the child support. She has now remarried and I was wondering if she had to list his income on the financial affidavit?:confused:

Does a locker slam? [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: does a locker slam when there is none around to here it

Grand Slam [ 1 Answers ]

Long long back, may be in 1979 I have seen a movie. The name told to me was "GRAND SLAM" (Action/Thriller). I was unable to watch it completely. It was a movie based on a big robbery. I am not sure who were the Actors and who directed it but I would like see it. It is only a curiosity to see the...

View more questions Search