Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    p_rich91 Posts: 40, Reputation: 10

Aug 2, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Drinking with stepdad
    I am 16 and my mom is going out of town this weekend. My stepdad told me that if I wanted, he would get beer and I could see what it is like to drink alcohol. He says it's better to experiment in a safe environment instead of at a party or something where someone could take advantage of me when I'm drunk. He also says if I drink some I will build up a tolerance and won't get drunk as easily. I kind of want to try it. What do you think?:confused:
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:09 AM
    I think it is against the law and if it is found out he could be arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.

Have you asked your Mom how she feels about this? She probably wouldn't be too happy.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 10:14 AM
    Please don't do it. I'm sure he's a nice guy, but history has shown us many times, that IF you are going to be experimenting with alcohol in a controlled environment, you should do it with a parent or blood relative (whom you trust).
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:16 AM
    Canada, the legal drinking age in the US is 21. It would be illegal for ANY adult to supply her with alcohol before that age.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:17 AM
    It seems fishy to me that its going to be just the two of you drinking. Not to say anything bad, but it doesn't sit right with me.
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 10:19 AM
    Well I know that, but I mean on a non-legal scale here. of course it's illegal but I meant if she was to try with permission of her mother or parent or something. (drinking age in Canada is 18 so eitehr way I meant of personal choice and not on a legal note)
    shortiesport23 Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Aug 2, 2007, 10:20 AM
    Don't do it! He could spike your drink or something. Ask your mom about it. It's sounds like your stepdad is trying to do this behind your mom's back and that can be bad for a relationship.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by p_rich91
    he also says if i drink some i will build up a tolerance and won't get drunk as easily.
    That's what happens when you become an alcoholic.
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 10:27 AM
    True!!! J_9 is right!!!! Don't try developing a tolerance! It's how I started my downwards spiral into alcoholism... I hate saying it but if it'll help you then I'll tell. Trying to develope tolerance for alcohol is pretty much saying I want to have to drink 20 40's of vodka to get wasted. Please don't try it, because quitting drinking is harder then drink those 20 bottles.:(
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:31 AM
    To interject, in another post you said your parents are separated and your dad lives with an 18 year old girl. So why would it matter that your mom is out of town?

Edit: Oh Stepdad, never mind, I read the post wrong.

Well going back to what others said, it doesn't seem normal that your stepdad you've only known for a little while is interested in drinking with you, I'd say no and inform your mother.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:32 AM
    My mom would never want me to do it of course but I've wanted to try. My friends drink all the time and they are fine. I think my stepdad just wants to try to do something cool. He said he thinks I'm really responsible and good kid and that one of the reasons he married my mom was that he was so impressed with me. I don't think it's anything bad. He said we'd just hang out and watch movies or something and I could drink if I wanted to.
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Maybe you could have a few friends over for safety.. not like a party, but just as a safety precaution.

Aug 2, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    To interject, in another post you said your parents are seperated and your dad lives with an 18 year old girl. So why would it matter that your mom is out of town?

My mom wouldn't let me drink if she were here. And my dad is too busy with his girlfriend to care anyway... but he wouldn't let me drink either.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Sounds even more scary to me now. I wouldn't do it, but you probably will anyway. You really should discuss this with your mother.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:36 AM
    The fact that he is hiding it from your mom raises a big giant red flag to me.

You are a very cute young girl and the fact that he has said how grown up, mature and impressed with you he is... it sounds bad.

You are going o do what you are going to do anyway but I'd hate for him to get you drunk and take advantage of you.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 10:38 AM
    I agree.. it sounds wrong. I mean I dotn know your step dad or anything. But this is screaming pedophile to me
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 10:47 AM
    If it's a secret for your mom then it'sunderstandable for red flags to be going up. In face there is one right here

|\
    |/
    Sure, you're saying your mom wouldn't alow it, but doesn't that show you that you should wait until your mother sees fit for you to drink.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    I agree..it sounds wrong. I mean I dotn know your step dad or anything. but this is screaming pedophile to me
    This is exactly the thought that went through my mind as well...

He already knows you're Mom wouldn't approve... he's keeping it a secret, and he said part of the reason he's with your Mom is because of his "impression" with you...

It sounds like he's been waiting for this opportunity.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by phillysteakandcheese
    This is exactly the thought that went through my mind as well...

He already knows you're Mom wouldn't approve... he's keeping it a secret, and he said part of the reason he's with your Mom is because of his "impression" with you...

It sounds like he's been waiting for this opportunity.

Yeah I think you would have a better weekend spending it with your Dad and his girlfriend...
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 2, 2007, 01:34 PM
    This is so wrong on so many levels.
    I would let your mom know about this and go stay at a friend's house for the weekend, but that's just my opinion.
    I've got a bad feeling about this.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dumbass Stepdad [ 6 Answers ]

My mom just recently got married to a complete j***a** and I HATE HIM. He always looks at me wrong and I feel very insecure at my own home and it needs to end. I have tried talking to my mom about it but she always just yells at me to mind my own business. He only uses my mom for sex and money,...

Stepdad left bruises on my son's face [ 18 Answers ]

Just a few days ago my ex called and told me that her husband had slammed my son into the his bed and forced the side of his head onto the mattress, leaving a bruise on my son's face. My ex was not home at the time when this happened. When I confronted the stepdad, I wanted to kill him, however I...

Bio dad is out of the pic, can stepdad adopt? [ 6 Answers ]

HI. I got divorced a few years ago. My ex and I had two children together. After the divorce he saw the kids twice. Now he has not seen them in 17 months, or had any communication with them in 12 months! We do not have his address, phone number, or any info about him anymore. He has not paid child...

Drinking Too much H2O? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 3 yr old calico persion cat that drinks lots and lots of water. She is about 11 lbs and seems to be perfectly healthy( shots current) . It seems like I am constantly scooping up piss balls out of her litter box. Why is she thirsty?

Drinking Pepsi [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: Will drinking Pepsi Max make you put on weight?

View more questions Search