Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 09:50 AM
    Galaxy Zoo
    A great site for all you people out there who are fascinated by the cosmos:

Home | Galaxy Zoo

You sign up, they explain to you HOW to classify galaxies (spiral, elliptical, something else altogether). Then you do a little test to see if you CAN classify galaxies. Then you're let loose on their database.

There are over a million galaxies in the database, each one they are hoping to get classified by 20 separate users so that they have an accurate classification for each one.

When the project is complete, the information you have provided will be available to the astronomy community and will be used in real scientific work!

They also have active forums (the project was only launched 3 weeks ago), containing strange objects that have been found in the database, and the most beautiful examples of galaxies.

Please if you have a few minutes to spare, hop over there, get signed up and classify a few. The cosmos is waiting!
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 27, 2007, 06:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Capuchin
    Home | Galaxy Zoo

The cosmos is waiting!
    I realize this is an aging post, but I've just recently plunged into astronomy. First t-scope today- NGC-60TC... so I've been looking for info on the subject. And I found the Zoo to be much fun! But it made me aware I want a larger scope, already! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Distance between earth and a galaxy [ 4 Answers ]

How is the distance between Earth/Milky Way and another galaxy measured? This came up reading an article about identifing galaxies that are very far from Earth. I understand that the Doppler effect can be used to measure the speed a galaxy/star is moving in relation to Earth by calculations of...

No clue in the zoo [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I have had so much change recently Im really confused and sad. Can anyone see when I will meet the right guy and where, if I will ever have and kids and what my career looks like for me? Thanks so much, I really appreciate any help I can get Gemini??

How far is the galaxy from the earth [ 8 Answers ]

I want to know how far is the galaxy from the earth How far is the galaxy for the earth

Zoo [ 1 Answers ]

What aspects of biology am I most likely to observe in a zoo?

The Zoo [ 4 Answers ]

Why aren't insects shown at the zoo? They take up less space, are very diversified. I don't know about others but I would go to see these creatures.

View more questions Search