Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Can I file bankruptcy and include my husband
    My husband filed bankruptcy in 2003. I was wondering since he cannot file bankruptcy again, since we are married, would I be able to file and include him, even if his debt was incurred before we got married?
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 06:27 AM
    Though the U.S. Bankruptcy Code is federal, various aspects of the bankruptcy proceeding vary from state to state. You need to ask the State you are living in.
    Filing for bankruptcy will negatively impact your credit record. However, having a boatload of overdue debts isn't good for your credit record, either. At least by filing bankruptcy, you are trying to make a positive change in the situation.
    So think carefully before you decide if you want yourself be included.
    Good luck,
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 08:49 AM
    I have a lot of debt and was going to file bankruptcy myself, I live in Ohio, and thought that once you married you incurred your spouses debt... so even though my husband file bankruptcy 4 years ago, I would think I would be able to include his debt when I file. That way we both end up with a "clean slate"... just was trying to see if anyone had answers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued, while trying to file bankruptcy [ 5 Answers ]

I just received notice today that I'm being sued by citifinancial of whom I had two loans through. I haven't made any payments in the last two months, nor to any of my creditors (there are many). Im trying to file chapter 7 bankruptcy and I'm wondering what kind of time table I'm looking at and if...

How often can you file bankruptcy [ 2 Answers ]

If I filed bankruptcy 5 years ago, can I file again. It was a chapter 7

Do I have to include these W2s when I file? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a question. I have multiple W2s, two of which have no Federal or State tax withheld. My wages on them are 206 and 2893 dollars-- my other two W2s I made more money and taxes were then taken out. Why do my two W2s have no taxes withheld? Also, I did my taxes online at Taxslayer-- I...

File for bankruptcy in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

If I file for bankruptcy in Canada will I lose my Child Tax Benefit payments ? I have no other source of income. Thanks.

Can't file bankruptcy need advice [ 1 Answers ]

My sister needs advice. Her husband has been out of work for 5 months and is having trouble finding work. She is 4 months pregnant and makes minimum wage. Total credit card debt is about $70k. She looked into filing for bankruptcy, but they will loose their house if she does. She has about...

View more questions Search