Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 05:27 PM
    Minneapolis tragedy
    Let's all hope and pray for those involved in the highway collapse in Minnesota.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Oh my gosh I didn't hear about that, how did it happen?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 05:35 PM
    It is on Fox News. A double decker bridge over the Mississippi River collapsed.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 05:43 PM
    Wow, I'm going to have to turn that on after the hubby's done watching his movie.
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 05:45 PM
    We have a member here in that area, however, luckily she and her family are safely at home.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Thank God! Do you know what caused the collapse? And how many people weren't as lucky as that member and her family?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 06:11 PM
    There is no specific fault at this time, although it does look like it was an accident. Some say construction caused weakening, perhaps a prior barge or boat traffic striking a bridge abutment... too early to be sure. I don't understand how it became a string of subsequent failures. A single point failure shouldn't take down the whole span.
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 07:07 PM
    I am watching right now, and all I can say is, oh my god.
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Aug 2, 2007, 09:21 AM
    I'm in the UK,and only heard about it minutes ago,after returning home from work.BBC News,CNN,are all carrying the bad news.I heard the local mayor? State that the bridge had "a unique design",and was given "a clean bill of health last year".I have just seen video camera footage of the moment of collapse.It is beyond belief.My heart goes out to all the victims,and their families.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 09:27 AM
    They said that the bridge was under construction, but stated all they were doing was repaving and that shouldn't have been the kind of construction to cause the bridge to fall.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Aug 2, 2007, 09:29 AM
    Omgsh! That's awful. I live in Canada but I'll still be praying for those involved.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 09:35 AM
    It's not a double decker bridge, but it IS one of the few bridges across the river that could handle heavy traffic--4 lanes, each direction.

We keep getting conflicting reports here in the Twin Cities, and last I heard the death count was 9, with 20-30 still missing.

Thankfully, our friends and family are all safe, but our hearts go out to those still waiting and wondering, and those who have been notified of their loss(es).

It sounds horrible, but all I could think of last night was "Thank god it happened during the summer!" Had it been winter, with subzero weather, or had it been in 2 weeks when school starts, it would have been sooooo much worse. That exit, just off the bridge, is the exit to the University of Minnesota, so 2 more weeks would have had cars lined up with people trying to exit to the U, even at that time of day.

As I get more (local) information, I'd be glad to post it here.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 09:35 AM
    The pictures of it are just absolutely terrible, but from what I heard on Fox News there are a LOT of survivors. Last I checked there were 6 that passed.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nauticalstar420
    The pictures of it are just absolutely terrible, but from what I heard on Fox News there are a LOT of survivors. Last I checked there were 6 that passed.
    From what I heard on Sky News, Channel News Asia etc the death toll was around 9-10... but lots injured
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Maybe so Firmbeliever, but Synnen lives there, she has the most recent news I am sure. I had to call her last night just to make sure she was okay.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    From what I heard on Sky News, Channel News Asia etc the death toll was around 9-10....but lots injured
    I just turned it off and the death toll was updated to 30 I believe. This is so terrible.
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:35 PM
    Up to 30 now? Wow!! I have not seen the news all day. Rainy and the kids have cartoons on.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Up to 30 now? Wow!!! I have not seen the news all day. Rainy and the kids have cartoons on.
    That's what it said right before I turned it off. And they said that there are also still some people trapped in all that mess too.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen
    It's not a double decker bridge, but it IS one of the few bridges across the river that could handle heavy traffic--4 lanes, each direction.

We keep getting conflicting reports here in the Twin Cities, and last I heard the death count was 9, with 20-30 still missing.

Thankfully, our friends and family are all safe, but our hearts go out to those still waiting and wondering, and those who have been notified of their loss(es).

It sounds horrible, but all I could think of last night was "Thank god it happened during the summer!" Had it been winter, with subzero weather, or had it been in 2 weeks when school starts, it would have been sooooo much worse. That exit, just off the bridge, is the exit to the University of Minnesota, so 2 more weeks would have had cars lined up with people trying to exit to the U, even at that time of day.

As I get more (local) information, I'd be glad to post it here.
    And thank God there were lane closures due to the construction and traffic count was relatively low and moving slowly. If all the lanes had been open in both directions and traffic moving at normal speed, the loss of life could have been much greater.

firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:39 PM
    I haven't seen the news tonight yet...
    It is a tragedy...
    A lesson for us all,that time really does not wait for us to catch up...
    All those there must have been driving to someplace and not even realising it is their last moments...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Personal tragedy leads to divorce? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been with my husband for almost four years and only married for 9 months. After about 1 1/2 years of being together, he became my roommate. He no longer went for walks with me, movies or seeing friends. I had my life and he had his life and we were supposed ot have our life. However, our...

Another global warming tragedy [ 11 Answers ]

Warming causing gray whales to lose weight, say scientists I tried but could not find a photo of one of these skinny whales. But I have an idea, instead of a "fat tax" why not promote global warming as a way to combat obesity?

Aristotle and tragedy essay [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all of u ,am new here and I wish to find some help from u :) I have a research on aristotle and tragedy , so can you help me? Thanks

View more questions Search