Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guzedah Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2004, 02:42 AM
    Windows xp password
    Hi,
    Have windows xp profetional and I set it to ask for log on password but I can not remember it now.how can I fix the problem.
    Not account password but log on windows password
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 9, 2004, 03:30 PM
    Re: windows xp password
    Check here :

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321305

If you've forgotten your administrator password - to put it bluntly, you're screwed.  You have to start again with a clean install. In other words you need to wipe your PC and start from scratch. Of course this could mean that you'll lose your files. If you've got some files you want to save,I recommend partitioning your hard drive and installing a second version of Windows (or another OS). Then use that to access and backup your files before wiping your hard drive clean and starting again.

Once you have lost your admin password, that's it. This way it stops people from being able to access systems that should have access to.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Mar 9, 2004, 07:14 PM
    Windows xp password
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20769016.html

I would give the bootdisk suggested in the first reply a try...

:)

~psi42
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Apr 7, 2004, 01:25 PM
    Re: windows xp password
    It may be asking for a password to unlock the computer. If this is the case, type in the password for the account that it says has locked the computer.

If you didn't set an administrator password, you can restart the computer in safe mode and log on as administrator with no password. Then you can go into control panel and change the passwords for other users.
    Darth_Tanion Posts: 105, Reputation: 7

Nov 9, 2005, 09:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    Check here :

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;321305

If you've forgotten your administrator password - to put it bluntly, you're screwed. You have to start again with a clean install. In other words you need to wipe your PC and start from scratch. Of course this could mean that you'll lose your files. If you've got some files you want to save,I recommend partitioning your hard drive and installing a second version of Windows (or another OS). Then use that to access and backup your files before wiping your hard drive clean and starting again.

Once you have lost your admin password, that's it. This way it stops people from being able to access systems that should have access to.
    That's not actually true. Windows XP has a back door. Try this document: http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/P...cle.asp?ID=305
    There are other ways of getting into windows XP but they would be classed as hacking. This way prevents anyone from being about to access someone else's system without (a) spending a relative large amount of time in front of their computer at the risk of getting caught and (b) changing their password so they will know that someone has been tampering with it. Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Password ? [ 17 Answers ]

:o ? :'( How do you get into your computer if you forgot and lost you password?

Password [ 2 Answers ]

:o Someone please help me to get my own official Yahoo accounts password; Very important data is being saved dere about my clients... Can anyone guide me how to recover that Yahoo password: [email protected]

Can't load windows, Can't get into safe mode and can't reinstall windows. [ 2 Answers ]

Help! I can't get windows98 SE to load. I can't get into safe mode or reinstall windows. A little history first. I had an issue with my creative sound card. EMM386 not loading along with something that had to do with the sound card. I went back and forth with creative tech support to resolve the...

Windows password [ 2 Answers ]

I'm running windows98. How do I find the password control panel.. I'll need to open this to get rid of the password prompt.. Its too annoying..

How I can recover the windows 2000/xp password? [ 1 Answers ]

Dear sir, please help me to retir\eve my windows 2000/xp password. I have forgotton these password. Thanks for help. I don't want to install new windows.

View more questions Search