Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2007, 01:36 PM
    Can I get a restraining order?
    My husband talks to his exwife every few weeks, just a civil "hey how ya doing" kind of thing. I have no problem with this, as we all grew up going to the sames schools etc. His exwife is in a relationship... the relationship that ended her marriage to my husband (she cheated on him and is still with to man she cheated with)... anywho...

My husband received an email from his exwife's boyfriend telling him to stop talking to her or he was going to show up on our doorstep with a baseball bat.

The fact that he went into detail (baseball bat)... and didn't simply ask him to stop talking to her, has got me scared. My husbands exwife emailed him a day later and apologize for the email (but I don't think she knew what was said in the email)

I have a 5-year-old daughter, and am not sure what this crazy guy is capable of. Is one threat enough for us to get a protection/restraining order against this guy so I can ensure my families safety??
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Aug 1, 2007, 01:40 PM
    I think restraining order may vary state to state.. if you still have a copy of that email I would take it to the local police department and ask them for guidance.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 4, 2007, 07:40 AM
    One single e-mail threat probably won't do it. If it becomes a pattern, however, or if he actually tries to physically confront your husband, then you probably could get a restraining order. But just from the standpoint of prudence and not just where the law is concerned I don't necessarily think your husband should keep on talking with his ex (except as necessary to comply with visitation for the children, if there are any involved.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stopping a restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can somebody tell me how to stop a restraining order?

Restraining order [ 5 Answers ]

I am currentlly with a man who is married but has been separated from his wife for 2 years. He is finally starting divorce proceedings. When he and his wife first separated she took out a restraining order to the effect that I cannot be around their 3 year old daughter. It has been almost 2...

Restraining order [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone get a restraining order based on a threat?

Can a restraining order be filed? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband has an ex girlfriend who is constantly trying to contact him, via Yahoo, myspace, phone, etc. He has told her numerous times to stop but she won't. Now she tries to contact me, threatening me and telling me he's cheating on me, which I know is not true and don't even suspect it. She...

Can I get a restraining order against my parents? [ 5 Answers ]

I am filing for emancipation and I am wondering if I can file a restraining order against my parents so that they can not touch me and hurt me.

View more questions Search