Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2007, 01:19 PM
    Wireless Internet
    I work from home and use a laptop. I would like to be more mobile. Wireless internet has been suggested to me, but I cannot figure out where I would begin to find a provider. Would someone like AOL offer the service? I was told Verizon, but I have looked all over their site and cannot find anything about wireless internet. Any help would be greatly appreciated!:D
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 01:38 PM
    Here you go - from Verizon's web site:

Verizon Business : Mobility : E-mail and Data Access : Wireless High-Speed Access

VZ markets this as a solution fro use by large companies - my guess is that it's pretty expensive, but it does give you full internet access from virtually anywhere.

Have you considered lower cost alternatives, such as using a Treo or Blackberry? They allow you to access your email? From anywhere a cell phone would work. VZ and others market these, and they are not too much more expensive than a standard cell phone. Another alternative is to set up wireless access on your laptop, and then you can access the network through the various "hot spots" that are available, such as at the airport or Starbucks. You can also put a wireless router in your home so that you can run your laptop and access the internet from any room in the house. So there are lots of choices - it all depends what your particular needs (and budget) are.
    KMC6296 Posts: 94, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Great! Thank you. I can connect at home OK, what I'd like to do is be able to access the internet, like you mentioned, at a Starbucks for example. I'm looking for something very inexpensive. We are a small company with everyone working from home. I have a little girl, so I'm out and about all the time. And, of course, that's when everyone needs something, the minute I'm out of the house. I'll take a look at Verizon and see what their costs are.
    Thank so much!
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 02:56 PM
    Most laptops sold these days come configured for wireless access already. All you need to do is start up the wireless configuration utility and if there's a hotspot in range the laptop should find it. If you're running Windows XP, go to Programs - Accessories - Communications - New Connection Wizard, and you'll see a link for "Wireless Networks in Range" Try this at a Starbucks and see if it works. It's free!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 03:14 PM
    IF you merely want to be wireless at home, and use wireless at hotspots around town, all you do is get a wireless box for your current high speed interent, ( DLS or cable) you don't have to buy a special interent provider.
    As long as it is not dial up, it will work. You will have to have wireless receiver in your lap top but almost all newer ones have it built in.

And when at hot spots, you just log onto their system with your lap top, you are not using your service, you are using theirs.

Now if you want a service that is similar to a cell phone where you get on the internet from anywhere they can get a service, several of the cell phone companies offer that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wireless internet keeps cutting out [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have two laptops both connected by wireless. One of them works fine all of the time. The other one keeps cutting out when I'm trying to use the internet. If I get an internet explorer error page closing down and reopening it fixes it, or sometimes just waiting a while will fix it. This...

My laptop doesn't connect to wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a dell inspiron laptop which has wireless capability. The OS is Windows XP Professional with SP 2. It used to connect to internet with the built in Wireless connector some time back . I have a desk top which I use to connect to Timewarner cable connection. It has a wireless router . So, my...

Wireless internet [ 9 Answers ]

I have a laptop and want to hook it up to wireless internet but I have never done that before and unsure as to how to do it. What do I need and what type of provider do I look for. I want it so that when I travel I can use it for my schooling Thank you, Sherry

Connected to wireless network, but can't get on the internet [ 4 Answers ]

I am from the US and I'm currently studying in Spain and on the roof of my house here, I have a very strong connection to a wireless network that is titled, "wireless". It is not locked and doesn't not require any kind of password and I connect right away without it saying that I have limited or...

Wireless internet sharing [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I want to set up a wireless LAN that connects two computers. I have a D-Link AirPLus G wireless router that connects to my ADSL modem. A D-Link wireless card on the laptop and a TP-Link wireless card on the desktop. I logged on to internet using my laptop first, and it worked, but then when I...

View more questions Search