Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2007, 07:59 AM
    She should definitely give it back. If she doesn't of her own volition, you have the option of taking legal action.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Aug 28, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Engagement rings are given and accepted with the expectation of marriage. If the engagement is cancelled, the ring has to be returned in most states. For this amount of money, I would contact her and ask her to return it. If she refuses, a simple letter from an attorney should suffice to get the job done or take her to small claims court.
    deesnider Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2008, 04:48 AM
    Im in the same boat but if we take them to court then they can discard the evidence easily.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by deesnider
    Im in the same boat but if we take them to court then they can discard the evidence easily.

Not addressing the moral issue but legally:

The Courts have made binding decisions (case law) on all of the following:

In SOME States the ring is conditional upon the marriage - no marriage, return the ring: Iowa, Kansas, Michigan, NJ, NM, NY, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin.

In California if HE breaks the engagement SHE gets to keep the ring. If SHE breaks the engagement, he gets it back.

In Montana a ring is not a conditional gift, it is given freely, and it does not be returned.

The others are at the Judge's discretion (if it goes that far).

If the ring goes "missing" the cost of the ring is awarded.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is my Ex fianc? Coming back again? [ 289 Answers ]

I've been dating this girl for about 5 yrs. I met her when I was 29 and she was 36. I took thing very slow to make sure she was the one.In the 5 yrs I have broken up with her twice and she has broken up with me at least 5-6 time she wanted to get married rite away I wanted to buy a house by myself...

FiancŽ gave ring back [ 72 Answers ]

Fiancé gave ring back after a fight, told me to get it cleaned... I briefly asked her the next day if she wanted to pick it up (it's now clean) and she said we'll talk tomorrow... Today is the tomorrow... We talk tonight... I'm not sure whether she is going to put our relationship on the chopping...

Still together, but I gave back the ring [ 20 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been together for over a year. I am very heart broken right now because we were engaged but I made a decision to give the ring back. His mother and I has a miscommunication over where a date a time for a party for myself was. After that she ripped into me about the...

View more questions Search