Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Whuffle Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2005, 04:11 PM
    jet engine efficiency
    Which would be considered to be the better design over-all? One huge jet engine, or two smaller ones of the same design?

I know jets are not measured in the same way, but to give an analogy with normal piston engines, I would be asking: is 500cc single-cylinder, or two 250cc cylinders the better design?

I know the answer to thatL 2 x 250cc is best... but wondering if it holds true for jet engines also?
    shanus Posts: 17, Reputation: 0

Sep 1, 2005, 06:48 PM
    There is no one answer to this question. The efficiency of the number of jet engines, or of any type of engine, would depend on the characteristics of the aircraft and the engine(s) itself i.e. the fuel consumption rate, power output from the engines, weight, load capacity of the aircraft etc.

However in aviation, the over-all better design of an aircraft does not solely depend on the efficiency of the engine(s). Better design of aircraft is more influenced by reliability. If an aircraft has multiple engines, each engine and its fuel source will be independent to the other engines, in case some engines konk-out.
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Sep 30, 2007, 11:19 PM
    Your answer is right on . Ive flown prop, and I've flown multi. Jet the b-47 jet bomber . Had three , J-47 jet engines on each wing. each had same power as the other5 did . IT was a wonderful bird:::: SAFE FLYING GOD BLESS :::
    Mylittlesunshyne Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Nov 14, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Well, firstly, the Jet engine actually burns more fuel at idle at low altitudes like when it's coming n for landing, than it does when it's at 30, 000 feet with full throttle up! That's how efficient they are! Now, with me saying this, we can conclude, that 2 smaller ones means probably more weight on the wings, but also if one jet fails you have other ones. So, it depends on the airplane size, if the wings can hold 'er as I like to say, then it probably better to have 2.

I hope this helps, please rate my answer.
    Pilotsmart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 06:30 PM
    It depends on what kind of plane you want to have, if your going for thrust it would be one big engine, if you agility, you put 2 small engines. With agility your plane will function better and won't have to drag extra tail weight
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

Mar 11, 2011, 02:15 PM

Flying blue if you flew B-47's you dated yourself. Were you ever in French Morocco?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 14, 2015, 04:26 AM
    This thread is 10 years old... please read the dates before responding to threads.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Poor Cooling - Goodman high efficiency [ 11 Answers ]

I have a two year old Goodman unit that does not cool properly. The suction line does not get cold - barely slightly cool. It is a 3-ton high efficiency unit with a 5-ton coil. The orifice size was changed from a 74 to a 73, which is now the recommended size. The pressures were 72 and 190 on a 90...

Math Problem: Worker Efficiency [ 1 Answers ]

Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution warehouse. Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415. Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 1169. ...

Math Problem: Worker Efficiency [ 3 Answers ]

Two employees are putting orders together for a distribution warehouse. Warren picks 47 orders in 7 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 538. The total number of locations on his orders is 415. Preet picks 24 orders in 7.5 hours. The total number of pieces he picks is 1169. ...

Production efficiency [ 4 Answers ]

How to improve and increase production in simple steps?

View more questions Search