Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawadv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Can't start computer
    In order to start my computer I have to unplug it, wait for 15 minutes and then:confused: plug it in, press the power button and hope it starts. It may take several tries before it catches and stays on. Please help.
    Thanks, bob
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Aug 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
    What exactly do you mean "before it catches"? What exactly happens when it don't work? Does it not do anything, or turn on for a minute, then turn off?
    rawadv Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 08:47 AM
    The computer turns on for about 3 seconds then turns off. I have to go through the unplug, plug routine a few times for the computer to stay on.
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Aug 1, 2007, 01:21 PM
    Sounds like a power supply problem, maybe a short-circuit or overload somewhere, and the built-in power supply protection is shutting it down.

Did this happen recently?

Open the PC and check that all cables are in good condition (i.e. no bare leads, no frayed insulation, etc.).

Remove the power plug for all components, except the CPU fan, and the video card if it uses an aux. power connector.

You will only be able to get into bios, but this check is to see if it starts up right away, instead of getting lucky...

If it does work on the first restart, try a few times to make sure its starting reliably, we can now narrow it down to a component problem.

Plug the power into one component at a time (i.e. hard drive), and restart. Repeat the above.

Plug the power in for the next component (i.e. cdrom) and restart. And so on.

This can help determine if a component is at fault.
    PUMPKINMAN Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Aug 1, 2007, 07:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rawadv
    In order to start my computer I have to unplug it, wait for 15 minutes and then:confused: plug it in, press the power button and hope it starts. It may take several tries before it catches and stays on. please help.
    thanks, bob
    Sounds like it gets hot have you ever took cover off and cleaned it carefully are your fans working are the clean also sounds like bad connection.. power cable or could be groundening out check all cables and connections
    suddenImpact Posts: 175, Reputation: 23

Aug 2, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Another thing to try is to unplug any USB devices, that may sound weird, but I've actually had a USB mouse make my computer do the same thing. The minute I unplugged it, it worked fine. If you've added any extra hardware, you may want to try to remove that as well (sound card, video card etc.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I reboot my computer and start frest as though it was a new computer [ 17 Answers ]

My computer is very slow I want to reboot it from the start

Computer will not start [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, When I attempt to turn on my computer it says restarting. It just keeps restarting itself and will not allow the computer to finish loading. I was told that this sounds like a internet worm. Do you guys agree? If this is do you have any suggestions on how I can fix it without taking it to...

New computer won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have put together a new computer: mother board, cd rom, hard drive, AGP video card, DDR memory stick. Power up the unit, fans come on, lights on mother board, no post beep, nothing on monitor..? I've removed everything and tried starting... nothing still. Any thoughts?

Computer does not start AT ALL [ 9 Answers ]

A friend of mine put some more RAM in his computer. After that, it did not start. At all. No power light, fan, sounds, anything. Even with the new RAM out it still does not work. Am I right in assuming that even if the motherboard got fried somehow the power supply should still turn on? Is it...

Computer Will Not Start Up [ 2 Answers ]

I using an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 256mb DDR RAM, 4MB S3 Video Card running Windows XP. Sometimes when I start up my computer it doesn't start, I just get a blank screen and the monitor light flashes orange. Can someone please help me with this problem. Thanks

View more questions Search