Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 1, 2007, 06:40 AM
    footings for a beam
    Hey guys, I'm back. I have a quick question that I hope one of you can answer. I am trying to rebuild my deck. I have to redig footings for the beam since the previous owners did it incorrectly. I tried to dig the one on the end about a foot in but I got about a foot down and hit what seems to be a sewer pipe. I don't think it is because that would mean the sewer would run away from the street instead of to the street. Anyway, instead of finding out what this is, I was wondering what is the maximum distance from the edge of the beam to the first footing can I or should I go in? To clear this pipe I would like to go in about 1 1/2 to 2 feet in. The deck is 1 1/2 feet high and 12' wide (out from my house) x 22' long if this helps. Thanks for your help.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Aug 1, 2007, 06:06 PM
    That's Not A Problem At All. In Fact All Our Decks Are Supported Off A 2x12 Beam With 6x6 Post Between Them And The Post Always Are Offset 2ft In. So You Good, And Its In Code. You Can Either Dig The Post Hole And Set In The Hole , Fill With Concrete Or Just Pour The Footing, We Set The Post In The Hole But If You Go With A Footing I Think It Is 6 To 8" Deep And 16" X 16" Wide , Good Luck
    jduke44 Posts: 407, Reputation: 44

Aug 10, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Sorry for the delay in showing my appreciation for your response. I have been slowly building this thing to make sure I have everything correct. I figured it was OK but thoguht Id check just in case. I did decide to go with the post inside 'cause it seemed less expensive. I called the town to make sure what I was doing was OK (before I found the pipe). Thanks for your input.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I or H beam size [ 9 Answers ]

I am wishing to make a deer pole, It will be on my barn and it will need to support approx. 500-750 pounds.The deer are large here! No but the overkill is for safety and a trolley type of lift I will be attaching to this beam.This beam will be cantilevered from the end wall a full 8 foot.My truss...

High Beam/Low Beam on 99 Durango [ 4 Answers ]

My headlights will only work on high beams. My sister owned the Durango before and said she had to mess with the switch from time to time to get low beams to work then finally stopped working. Anyone ran into this problem? I think its in the steering column. I've checked fuses and headlights. ...

Beam size [ 1 Answers ]

What size bean would I require to span 12meters for a steel shed, it is used on the roof

Concrete house piers and footings [ 2 Answers ]

Can concrete piers and footings be safely poured in wet saturated clay ground.Rain has occurred over last 2 weeks and is forecast on and off for next month.

Concrete Pillars & Footings [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking to install a pair of gates on 2' x 2' block (filled with rebar and concrete) pillars. Each gate panel is about 13' high x 6' wide and weighs about 850 pounds. One gate company indicated that the footings should be 6' x 6' x 4' deep while another indicated 3' x 3' x 3' deep. Does...

View more questions Search