Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    trishan Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 03:19 AM
    Pulled muscle or pinched nerve?
    I woke up a week ago, and the cord that runs on the right side of my neck really ached, went down along my collar bone, and into the joint of my right shoulder. Now, it's in the front and back part of my neck on the right side and around my lung area as well. Would this be considered a pinched nerve or pulled muscle? I've had numbness in my right arm for the last year or so. When it's not numb, it aches like hek in my elbow and shoulder. But it's never gone into my neck. It's worse when I lay down, or try getting up. Then subsides after I'm up for a few hours (on asprin). Will heat or cold applications help this? I'm about to make an appointment with a doc, or chiropractor, but what is best to do for this in the meantime?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 1, 2007, 03:57 AM
    I would suggest a doctor appt. not chiropractor and a stronger anti inflammatory may help. Aspirin is good but not good enough. Your age would be good to know if you want a more realistic opinion. I would say a touch of arthritis, and suggest you sleep on a lower pillow.
    misu Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2007, 04:09 AM
    There is something called a herniated disc, which can cause a pinched nerve and display the following symptoms: headache, pain in the neck or back, and limited motion. A herniation or bulging in the cervical spine (neck area) could display a pulling or aching pain around the ears, shoulders, chest and into the arm pit, down the arm especially on the top of the elbow joint and down into the thumb. Not only could your symptoms be annoying, but you could require treatment of some sort depending on what your doctor finds when he sees you. A muscle spasm can be very painful too. Massage would help relax the muscle along with any treatment your doctor prescribes : antiinflamatory, physical therapy: strengthening, stretching and massage. Sometimes simply sleeping on a too puffy pillow or in direct line of an air condition could hurt the neck/back and cause the muscles to spasm. Heat normally works for the first 2 days, then ice compress. First you should see your physician for a medical diagnosis, possibly an x-ray of sort & prescription for treatment. I hope you feel better.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Treatment for pulled Quad muscle [ 2 Answers ]

I pulled my quad playing softball 2 weeks ago, I am playing my next game on Sunday, it is still a bit sore, and I know running might cause the strain again, but is there anything I can do to prepare my leg for when I run? Someone told me to tape it up? I tried stretching it and it hurt, should I...

Pinched Nerve. [ 1 Answers ]

What can I do to ease a Pinched Nerve?:confused:

View more questions Search