Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Deadlygypsy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 04:04 PM
    Can you remove a biological father from the birth certificate. If he agrees
    I have a one year old daughter. And her father has never helped support her. And now that the State is forcing him to, he's asked me if there was anyway to have his name taken off the birth certificate so that he has no legal obligations to her! I agree with him and think it would be for the best, But I have no clue if there is a way to do this. If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated :) Thanks!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Jul 31, 2007, 04:06 PM
    You can take his name off, but I'm not sure if he still has to pay child support
    Deadlygypsy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 04:09 PM
    I figured I could but I'm just not sure how to go about it. Because my Husband wants to adopt her.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 31, 2007, 06:12 PM
    If your husband wants to adopt, you don't take his name off, what happens, you hire an attorney, he has bio father sign away his rights with permission to adopt, a application to adopt is submitted to the court along with the paper work from bio father.

When the adoption is approved a new birth certificate is issued, and it appears that the adopted dad is the parent on the certificate.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Aug 2, 2007, 09:13 PM
    You would have to get an atty. To complete this process... but yes, he can sign away all his rights at any time, regardless of whether there is another to fill his place. (Such as step-dad wanting to adopt)

Your atty. Will also be able to handle or guide you in following-up with the changes in birth cert. process.

I hope this is something you both think long and hard on, as it seems to be the "easy way out" answer for younger guys now a days, who want to escape financial and physical responsibility of their children. I personally think it's a crock, especially when its just to get out of child support. But that's just me.

Better luck next time in finding Mr. Right.
    MsCrabtree Posts: 22, Reputation: 4

Aug 5, 2007, 05:50 AM
    Follow the above directions regarding adoption but do NOT removing his name from the birth certificate. This way he ( father) will act as if he NEVER had a child. This is not an option. Husband can adopt if he signs away his parental rights. In terms of your daughter, do you have any contact with any of his family?
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2007, 01:47 PM
    He can't undo his legal obligations to her, by removing his name from the birth certificate or by any other means. His only out is if someone else adopts your daughter and thereby becomes her legal father.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Aug 5, 2007, 10:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by s_cianci
    He can't undo his legal obligations to her, by removing his name from the birth certificate or by any other means. His only out is if someone else adopts your daughter and thereby becomes her legal father.
    This is incorrect. If he signs off his parental rights, he has no future legal obligations as of the date of signing. There does not have to be an adoption or future step-father in place for this to happen.

A friend of mines son, did just this. She was extremely upset w/ her son, but there was nothing she could do. She talked to an atty. because she wanted to retain her "grandparents rights" as it was her grandson. But they were never married, just living together when she had the baby. So she had no rights to protect. His name went on the birt certificate and not long after the baby arrived, they split up.

Well, she took him to court for child support and after a year or so of him not paying....the state came after him. They were going to take away his drivers license if he did not become current on all back child support. (a year or so's worth) So instead of this happening, he retained an atty. and signed off all parental rights...which freed him of his legal obligations. Its not right, and I think the kid is worthless pos for doing it....but, thats what happens when KIDS try to act like ADULTS. She is not much better, as she has since had another child and still NOT married.

My friend, (the bio-grama)- takes both kids(even tho the one is not hers) all the time because the girl dumps them off anywhere to run around w/new boyfriend. She just had both kids for almost a week and the newest baby is only 1 month old....now tell me what kind of mother would already be leaving a 1 month old for a week at a time. It is a shame but what can you do?? My friend documents all this but if she turns her in, she will find out and lose contact with her grandson....so shes in a terrible situation while her worthless son is free of his obligations. Its a shame that this can happen, but there are sooo many kids out there today that just have no sense of responsibility at all.

Nicole98 Posts: 42, Reputation: 0

Sep 7, 2007, 07:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlygypsy
    I have a one year old daughter. And her father has never helped support her. And now that the State is forcing him to, he's asked me if there was anyway to have his name taken off of the birth certificate so that he has no legal obligations to her! I agree with him and think it would be for the best, But I have no clue if there is a way to do this. If anyone has any insight it would be appreciated :) Thanks!
    I don't think that he can do that. Has a paternity test been done which proves he is the child's father? If so the state will ask him to help support the child as it is his responsibility and also will expect him to supply medical for the child. If you receiving state assistance for medical he will be expected to make a payment towards that also. Your best bet is to go to your local courts and find out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 7, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom

This is incorrect. If he signs off his parental rights, he has no future legal obligations as of the date of signing. There does not have to be an adoption or future step-father in place for this to happen.

Well, she took him to court for child support and after a year or so of him not paying....the state came after him. They were going to take away his drivers license if he did not become current on all back child support. (a year or so's worth) So instead of this happening, he retained an atty. and signed off all parental rights...which freed him of his legal obligations.
    There must have been some extenuating circumstances that you are either not relating or are unaware of because what you are saying is not the case in most areas.

Most jurisdictions make it extremely hard for a bio parent to relinquish their rights. And they NEVER do it just because the bio parent wants to get out of paying child support. In most jurisdictions, even if you do relinquish your rights that does not get you out of paying support. A termination of parental rights is generally allowed ONLY to clear the way for an adoption or where the bio parent represents a danger to the child.

Again, I don't know what really happened in the situation you are aware of, but at best its an anomaly and does NOT represent what will happen in most cases.

To the OP. Get an attorney, have them draw up the adoption papers which will include a relinquishment for the bio parent to sign.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrong father on child's birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

My daughters birth certificate is incorrect. While stationed in the military at Fort Jackson S.C. I had my daughter. The wrong father is listed on her birth certificate. While living in South Carolina I was told that I needed a lawyer to fix the problem. I never had the money to correct the problem...

Court order to remove fathers name from birth certificate in PA [ 2 Answers ]

My sister got pregnant when she was 21 and had her baby. The father took off when she was 5 months pregnant. She was very naïve and thought he was coming back so she put his name on the birth certificate. Well, he never came back and it's 12 years later. We have reason to believe that he had...

Adult child seeking to put biological fathers name on birth certificate [ 3 Answers ]

Forget it.. I'm calling an attorney!

What is process for birth mother to relinquish rights to the biological father [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are going to raise the baby he is the biological father of, soon to be born. The biological mother, has two kids and does not want to raise another. She wants the baby's father, my husband, and I to raise this baby as our own. My husband will be listed as father on the birth...

New step father wants to adopt child that has no father on birth certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I am a new step father and I wish to adopt my 4 year old step son and my 8 year old step son . The 4 year old does not have a father listed on the birth certificate and the 8 year old does but the bio-father has not made any kind of contact in 5 years but is court ordered to pay child support and...

View more questions Search