Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tredie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 01:34 PM
    How Can I get a new Social Security and ID Card which was lost
    A while ago I had my wallet in my pocket and it was taken to the cleaners. I later discovered that it was missing. The cleaners said they didn't have it. This is when my aggravation began. All of my information was in there. The most important pieces were my Photo ID and my social security card. Even though the License had expired it was still proof of identification. During that time I was going through a bad transition in my life with family. Things began to spiral out of control. At this point, I was just going day by day. Nevertheless I have tried calling Social Security to see what I can do. It's almost impossible to get one without the other. The only IDs I have are very old with no date on it. It's a check cashing card from a long, long time ago. I have a birth certificate, however. I don't know if DMV can at least give me a copy or something of my ID from their system to help me get my new Social Security card. I had an ID in Mass and New Jersey. I am so frustrated. There's so much I need and want to do, but I am lost without all of this information. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do? I feel like I don't exist.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 01:51 PM
    You can go to your local social security office and they will help you. Or you can read about it here:
    Social Security Online

You will need prove of identity, birth cert. etc. but you can get a replacement drivers license through the DMV... go to the social security office, they WILL help you, it just may take a while...
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Jul 31, 2007, 01:52 PM
    You should be able to get a new social security card with your original birth certificate.

Here is what the SSA website says.

Replacement Social Security Card for a U.S.-Born Citizen

You can replace your Social Security card for free if it is lost or stolen. However, you are limited to three replacement cards in a year and 10 during your lifetime. Legal name changes and other exceptions do not count toward these limits. For example, changes in immigration status that require card updates may not count toward these limits. Also, you may not be affected by these limits if you can prove you need the card to prevent a significant hardship.

To get a replacement card:

Complete an Application For A Social Security Card (Form SS-5); and
    Show us documents proving:
    U.S. citizenship (if you have not already established your citizenship with us); and
    Identity.
    Take your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.
    Citizenship

We can accept only certain documents as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate, U.S. consular report of birth, U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization or Certificate of Citizenship.

Identity

We can accept only certain documents as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current (not expired) and show your name, identifying information (date of birth or age) and preferably a recent photograph. For example, as proof of identity Social Security must see your:

U.S. driver’s license;
    State-issued nondriver identification card; or
    U.S. passport.
    If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement for one of them within 10 days, we will ask to see other documents, including:

Employee ID card;
    School ID card;
    Health insurance card (not a Medicare card);
    U.S. military ID card; or
    Adoption decree.
    We may use one document for two purposes. For example, we may use your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents.

We will mail your card as soon as we have all of your information and have verified your documents. Your replacement card will have the same name and number as your previous card.

Here is the website. Documents You Need for a Social Security Card
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 01:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tredie
    A while ago I had my wallet in my pocket and it was taken to the cleaners. I later discovered that it was missing. The cleaners said they didn't have it. This is when my aggravation began. All of my information was in there. The most important pieces were my Photo ID and my social security card. Even though the License had expired it was still proof of identification. During that time I was going through a bad transition in my life with family. Things began to spiral out of control. At this point, I was just going day by day. Nevertheless I have tried calling Social Security to see what I can do. It's almost impossible to get one without the other. The only IDs I have are very old with no date on it. It's a check cashing card from a long, long time ago. I have a birth certificate, however. I don't know if DMV can at least give me a copy or something of my ID from their system to help me get my new Social Security card. I had an ID in Mass and New Jersey. I am so frustrated. There's so much I need and want to do, but I am lost without all of this information. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do? I feel like I don't exist.
    My husband had is wallet recently stolen with all his ID's. To get a new license we had to show two forms of picture ID which you can use a passport or anything issued from the government (even if it is expired). Also two bills showing the address. Luckily he doesn't carry his SS card. You will have to go to the local office/or the SS web site (Social Security Online) to get a new card.
    I would also suggest to check your credit report every once in awhile to make sure no one is setting up fruad accounts. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Regarding Social Security [ 3 Answers ]

Call me new. Because I'm far from Social Security, however my father isn't. He just received his first check from the Social Security Office. He asked me if he is able to continue to work, or must he be unemployed to receive Social Security. Question: Can you have both a working income and...

Asking again, Social Security & Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

I had the entire amount in my checking account emptied by an old Credit Card debt, that yes, I have been to court and do owe the amount but my situation is that now I am retired and live on Social Security. At the time of the garnishment there were other funds in this checking account other than...

Social security income [ 1 Answers ]

My only souce of income is my social security check. Can credit card debtors garnish my social security income

Social Security Number (L1 to H4) [ 0 Answers ]

Need help on the below situation One of my friend had come to US on L1 visa and got social security number during her work. Then she went back to india. Now she is coming back to US but this time on H4 visa. So my question is can she use the same Social Security Number for H4 that she had...

View more questions Search