Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bga1974 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Claim on a step parent's estate
    I was wondering if anyone out there with experience in estate law could help me. Let me give a little background. My mother's birth father abandoned her before she was born. She was raised since the age of 1 by the person I consider my grandfather. Because her natural father refused to sign away his parental rights, she was never formally adopted by my grandfather. He had no natural children of his own. He recently passed away and there is a very hostile situation with his present wife (not my grandmother). Does my mother have any legal claim to the estate? Also, how would we go about finding out if he had a will or who the beneficiaries of his insurance policies were. His widow will not tell anyone anything. Can anyone help?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 31, 2007, 11:22 AM
    If there was a will it may have been filed in probate court so you can check there. If you it wasn't you may be able to file your own claim against the estate asking for a copy of the will. Without an official adoption things will be harder, but if you can produce testimony that she was raised by your grandfather, it should help.

As for insurance beneficiaries, if she is listed as a beneficiary, then the insurance company must attempt to contact her. The current wife can do nothing about that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate - quit claim deed [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there! I was given a quit claim deed on my grandfather's house several years ago. It was filed at the court house. Recently, I attempted to take out an equity loan to build a garage. The lender said that the house belonged to my parents. I went to the court house to see where the problem...

A step-parent's relationship with a handicapped child [ 5 Answers ]

I am the step-parent of an 18 year old handicapped child who is not bathroom trained, has aggressive tendencies, and other behavioral issues that I am having increasing trouble coping with. The child's mother has primary custody of the child and his father and I have a regular visitation schedule....

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate. [ 1 Answers ]

I need the correct method to transfer a lineal heirs rights and claim to an estate in Oklahoma to myself. The heir is my Brother and he has stated that he wishes to "sign the papers" to relinquish any and all claim to our Mothers estate. I would appreciate any and all assistance, Thank you.

Adoption and Bio Parent's Estate (after death) [ 4 Answers ]

After being adopted and your bio parent dies... without having a will... are you legally entitled to any of the estate? :confused:

Do I have any claim to grandmothers estate [ 6 Answers ]

My father died in January, 5 or 6 months prior to his death he received his part of his mothers' (my Grandmother) estate. His mother was never told he was dying, my grandfather died of the same thing as dad and we didn't think Grandma's health could take the blow. Since dad left his estate to his...

View more questions Search