Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McDaisyJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2005, 11:53 AM
    Fuses blowing
    :confused: My clothes dryer started blowing fuses. Since it was a 1964 model, we assumed it was on it's last legs and bought a new one. The new dryer is also starting to blow fuses. The dryer is on a separate fuse box from everything else. Nothing has changed where the dryer or fuse box was concerned. What could be the problem?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 3, 2005, 03:57 PM
    Fuses blow usually for two reasons, a short circuit or an overload, drawing more amps than the fuse is rated to handle.

I have found that a circuit will not be shorted or overloaded and fuses still blow. This can be caused by a loose connection in the fuseholder, which will cause heat when the circuit is used. The heat will build up and cause the fuse to open.

When does the fuse blow? Right away as soon as you turn on the dryer? Or does the dryer run for a while till the fuse blows? If this is the case, seems the loose connection in the fuseholder is probably the reason. Look inside the fuseholder, is there any evidence of heating, such as discolored metal or burnt plastic?

Whay size fuses are they? Most dryers use a 30 amp fuse. Have seen some of the newer super large dryers that need 40 amp fuses.

If you think the symptoms point to a loose connection in the fuse box, you will need to be very careful working here. Be sure to shut off the main, and use a good tester to be sure any wiring or terminals you touch are not energized.

If this informmation does not help, please get back with more details about the rating of the fuse, size of circuit and wiring, and the load in watts of the nameplate of the dryer.
    McDaisyJ Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2005, 03:10 AM
    Thank you very much for the quick reply. My husband has decided the change the box from a fuse box to circuit breakers. He did look at the fuse box and confirmed that a wire was loose and causing it to overheat. Thanks again!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

17 1/2 hp mtd blows fuses [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my dad has an mtd 17 1/2 hp gear drive mower, just after he bought it, it started blowing the fuse. Warrentee took care of that one. That was six years ago, now its blowing fuses again. Replaced the fuse again, but then I installed wire loom on every wire I could get my hands on. The wires...

Troy built fuses [ 1 Answers ]

I think I need to change the fuses on my troy built mower/tractor. How do I check to see if they need to be changed? How do I change them? How do I know what fuses to buy?

Switching fuses to breaker [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I just bought my first home with my wife. The house has an old fusebox, which both my wife and I hate the thought of having to deal with. We want to switch over to a breaker box, but I have never done this before, so I have some info and some questions... First of all, is this something...

What's better; Fuses or Breakers [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking at replacing the service box in my home. The main reason is that coming off the service box are two other switches, one for the Air Conditioning unit and one for other lights in the house. So I would like to get everything in one box. The existing service is a 100 amp Fuse box. I...

Fuses v breakers [ 3 Answers ]

thought I'd look on the web for this and I found this site. Here goes... my building was built in 1939 and has old cloth wire in it. My neighbors have all had their fuse boxes upgraded to circuit breakers, and since I recently fried a wire inside a conduit while hanging a fixture, I thought...

View more questions Search