Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DonnaDay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:25 AM
    Bad litter box habit
    I got a cat from a shelter several months ago. She is spayed and vet checked, she's perfectly healthy. She just has a bad habit that I would like explained and to get rid of.

When I first got her, she had a regular depth uncovered litter box, and she would frequently "overhang" the box and end up peeing and pooping over the side of the box (she'd be totally in the box, yet so close to the sides that stuff would end up outside the box). So I fix this by getting a deeper, covered box and all has been well for months, no incidents. For the past few days, she has been managing to start up this habit again by mounding litter by the opening of the covered box so she's able to overhang again. I purposely put the bare minimum of litter in there (as I always have, so no change there), so I can't very well reduce the litter level anymore as I think that would be too little litter.

What can I do now? It appears to me that she likes to do this and it's just a habit, because the typical triggers of bad behavior aren't there-the box is clean as always, same litter brand, no new pets (no other pets at all), same box she's had and been fine with all this time, etc.

Do you think if I put her food by the opening of the box that might stop this?

I'm really mad about this and I don't have the patience for this. I don't want to have to get rid of her, but if I can't find a solution I will have to.

I already have the deepest covered box that they make.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 07:36 AM
    Cover the opening and make a hole in the top of the box and let her little rear end come in and out from the top. Or where the opening is put something there so she can't rest her rear on it maybe foil or something uncomfortabe to sit on. My old 13 year old cat does this sometimes, so I just put a large plastic lid under it from an old tote. Hope this helps
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 07:39 AM
    You should call the shelter and see what they say about it or maybe ask someone at PetsMart. I have two cats and one will use an open litter box only the other one wants complete privacy. My cats like a lot of litter to dig deep holes. They don't seem to like if I switch litter. My one cat has accidents because his fur is so long it sometimes gets stuck. I haven't had your problem but I do keep there food close to the box. I hope everything works out.
    DonnaDay Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:42 AM
    bushg, you really think she will go in and out from the top? That's a clever idea! I'd just be afraid she won't go in at all!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 07:51 AM
    I would go buy 2 of the flat boxes and tape them together (duct tape)cut the top out almost completely leave an inch or so at the edges. You can get the deep box for the top of it. Try this before you tear up your covered one, They are more expensive. See how it works It just may do the trick. Let us know if it works, that is if you choose to try it.
    janmax4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 10:55 AM
    I had a cat that did the same thing so I went out and bought a tote box tall enough so the cat can't hang out, and put lots of cat litter in it and it worked for me.. Hope this helps you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My cat and her litter box [ 10 Answers ]

I have two cats (a male and a female). My female cat uses the litter box, then instead of covering her urine or poop, she just walks away. A minute or so later, my male cat will go into the litter box and cover it up for her. I have never seen this behavior before and I am wondering why she...

Cat Goes Outside Litter Box [ 20 Answers ]

We have 4 cats! Only one of them, either goes Poop in the Litter Box and does not cover it up or drops the Poop on the floor just next to the Litter Box. It is a neutered 3 yr. old male. Any suggestions of how to correct this problem?

Bad Habit [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 bichons (both females, almost 6 yrs old) one is 21lbs and the other is about 16 lbs. The 21lb one, coco, actually lost weight, probably due from not eating. We switched food a little to see if she didn't like the previous food and that didn't work. We don't know why she hasn't been...

Litter box [ 2 Answers ]

What will happen if my cat doesn't have a litter box??

6 year old has bad chewing habit [ 2 Answers ]

My younger daughter ( who by the way just had her 6th birthday) has started chewing on things like her fingers and anything made of plastic I have to constantly tell her to take them out of her mouth and snatch them from her. I thought that was supposed to be a stage they passed when they were much...

View more questions Search