Ask
    dannypainting Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 08:33 PM
    Square footage
    How do I calculate the square footage of a room
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2007, 08:56 PM
    Take the width times the length and multiply them, this will give you the sq. footage, now add the sq. footage of all the walls and ceiling? (floor?) and add them up. Now do the same with the windows and doors and subtract this number from the sq. footage of the walls ,this will give you the net wall surface.The floor sq. footage is just the width times the length.
    Superfed Posts: 32, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 01:36 AM
    Square footage for a 12 x 14 bedroom with an 8 ft ceiling.

Ceiling: multiply 12 x 14 = 168 sq.
    Walls: add 12 + 14 = 26 x 2 = 52 which is the perimeter of the room.
    Now times 52 x 8 (the perimeter x the height of the ceiling) this gives you 416 sq. of wall space.

Add (walls 416) + (ceiling 168) = 584 total sq.

In the average size bedroom, I don't usually subtract sq for small windows or one door.
    You will get 400 sq per gallon.

A room this size with a two coat finish, you will need 1 gallon of paint for the ceiling and if you are going with a different color for the walls, you will need 2 gallons of paint for the walls.

You will have touch up paint left over!
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jul 31, 2007, 01:45 AM
    Wow! You guys are good! I had no idea the color of paint made a difference! Lol!

I did however know multiply width x length for sq. ft... Oh, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! Lol! I win! :p :D
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 01:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by go-ask-mom
    Wow! You guys are good! I had no idea the color of paint made a difference! lol!

I did however know multiply width x length for sq. ft......Oh, and I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! lol! I win! :p :D
    Color of paint DOES NOT make a difference. If you are painting a bedroom 12x14 most people paint the ceiling white and the walls a different color. So if there is 1/2 a gallon left from the wall paint, you won't be using it for the ceiling. Keep it for touch up!

Get it now?:rolleyes:
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jul 31, 2007, 02:08 AM
    Allll'Rightey then! Gotcha! :)

I just misread your post... its late, or early depending on how you look at it!
    -

Jul 31, 2007, 02:12 AM
    I edited my first post so it was easier to understand. Its getting late over here in NJ...
    BTW - I am a painting contractor...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Square Footage measurement. [ 8 Answers ]

Can someone tell me how to get the correct square footage of living space for a home? What measurements should I take to compile this number? And what areas do not come into consideration? Thanks. Dave.

Punnet Square [ 3 Answers ]

Mendel performs a hybridization cross. One parent has yellow peas, and the other has green peas. (Y= yellow peas; y=green peas) a. What are the genotypes of the parent plants? b. What types of gametes could the parent with yellow peas offer? c. What types of gametes could the parent...

BTU Calculation estimating square footage for furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I had a 100,000 BTU furnace replaced with a 75,000 BTU 80% furnace. I have a two story house with a finished basement and was told the basement square footage is not used in calculating the square footage for sizing the furnace BTU's. I'm wondering if this is true? The two stories is...

Square Footage [ 4 Answers ]

Hoe do I correctly determin the square footage of a property?

Rafter square [ 1 Answers ]

I want to build an addition on my home and don't know how to use a rafter square to cut the rafters. This is a project I really want to do on my own but lack the expertise in figuring the cuts on a rafter. If someone has a simple but accurate way of using the square, I'd REALLY appreciate hearing...

View more questions Search