Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wolfie1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 08:27 PM
    Rude to take a cookie?
    When I am invited to my cousin's home for holiday dinner, she always bakes large quantities of numerous desserts. The desserts are usually sitting out on a counter for a few hours before dinner. For many years I have always 'sneaked' one cookie before dinner. I do this in view of my cousin, who 'mock scolds' me. I never sample a dessert (such as a cake) that would be visibly altered by what I remove. I would never do such a thing with other than family... My daughter thinks this is horribly rude. I see it as amusing (since it is an annual 'ritual') and only as a compliment to my cousin, who is an excellent chef/baker.
    What do you think?
    jrb252000 Posts: 410, Reputation: 28
    -

Jul 30, 2007, 08:29 PM
    I see no harm done if the host approves of what you do... if it were me I would be sneaking a cookie or two myself.
    otto186 Posts: 152, Reputation: 14

Jul 30, 2007, 08:31 PM
    The holidays are such a mellow time of the year. It is about family spending time together, not about getting in trouble for sneaking cookies. As long as you are in the presence of family, and not just an acquaintance, I think it is OK.
    Becca74 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2007, 08:35 PM
    haha i dont see any problem at all!:D its actully funny! like jrb252000 says I would sneek a few cookies too! And this is not rude because its family but thats my oppion...
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Jul 31, 2007, 08:19 AM
    She's on to you and is going along with the joke. :D

No harm, no foul.
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 08:52 AM
    We steal deviled eggs in my family. :) We (siblings and cousins) hold an unofficial "contest" to see who can get "yelled at" first. Then we do a victory lap around the living room! :) It's all in good fun!

I say if your cousin has no problem with it, go for it! Maybe you should share your stolen goodies with your daughter so she can see what she's missing out on!
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 31, 2007, 09:08 AM
    I think it would only be rude if you ate all the cookies on the plate. Other then that I see no harm. I do the same thing, I usually try to cram one in my mouth before anyone sees.

I steal cookies, my cousin steals shrimp out of the fridge on Christmas Eve everyone has something :)
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 10:15 AM
    Sounds pretty harmless to me.
    jstrike Posts: 418, Reputation: 44

Aug 2, 2007, 11:05 AM
    If the host doesn't smack your hand with a wooden spoon... something my Aunt used to do to me when I sneaked similar goodies then no harm is done. Sneaking food at a holiday gathering is a timeless tradition! :)
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 2, 2007, 11:18 AM
    LOL no, there's nothing wrong with that. You get a cookie and a mock scolding. If she didn't want anyone to have them she wouldn't have baked them in the first place nor put them out where anyone can get to them easily.
    If it's a little "ritual" you have with your cousin, then it isn't rude at all. Just some harmless silly fun.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 2, 2007, 01:31 PM
    Well I would never sneak one, I may go get a plate full, but sneak never.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 02:06 PM
    I don't think I would have the will power not to grab one... A Ritual, I think is worth it.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Aug 2, 2007, 02:22 PM
    Well try to keep the italian guys out of the pasta sauce when its cooking. The ladies too. You pretty much are expected to have extra bread around so the quality control group can have a test sample.

How old is your daughter?

If this is the worst noise you hear from her, you are a lucky man. If this is the worst you do to your cousin, I think you are forgiven.

It seems to be harmless.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2007, 11:54 AM
    The post has made my day.:D
    I think that is very cute, life doesn't have to be that intense all the time.
    It is just A COOKIE!
    A COOKIE!!
    kimberlyntony Posts: 31, Reputation: 3

Aug 16, 2007, 01:07 PM
    Tell your daughter to relax and have a little fun. It's family, it's the holidays and it's a dame between you and your cousin, continue on!
    GoldieMae Posts: 263, Reputation: 89

Aug 16, 2007, 01:17 PM
    Or, next time say "Here, Sweetie, have a cookie!" and smile brightly to your little one.

If you weren't supposed to sneak the cookies, why did she put them out like that?
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 01:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldieMae
    If you weren't supposed to sneak the cookies, why did she put them out like that?
    wow. =) the-old-sneaky-turn-the-tables trick. She's an enabler! a cookie tease! You should get an apron with "cookie tease" monogrammed on it. She might not wear it. But shell probably laugh. And your daughter will likely turn shades of crimson you haven't seen yet.
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 01:54 PM
    I can't not believe this post is still going on, Com'n, it is just A COOKIE.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOkie.

Okay I am done:D
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2007, 02:04 PM
    JUST a cookie?

My wife has made me go out in the dark and the rain for a cookie. OK, it was actually a "gooey brownie", and it took three stores to get it... but hell hath seen no wrath like a woman without her chocolate...

Do not underestimate the power of a cookie.

Hey! I think I just found my new sig line.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Aug 16, 2007, 02:32 PM
    Nice, kp, very nice indeed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cookie Business [ 2 Answers ]

I have a cookie recipe thst I would like to use in starting a home cookie business. How do I start?:confused:

Starting a Cookie business [ 1 Answers ]

My wife's grandmother gave her the greatest cookie recipe ever. Everyone loves them. Any ideas on how to begin a business or patent the recipe?

Cookie business [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, I want to start a business making cookies. I have all kinds of flavors in mind. I want to know, when you start a business like this, do you have to create your own recipes to use? Can you use recipes from cookbooks, internet, etc to sell in a business. Is that stealing? I love to...

Cookie trackers [ 1 Answers ]

What are cookie trackers?

Doubleclick Cookie tracker. [ 3 Answers ]

Well, I already got rid of DSO just to find out I'm having another "die hard" spyware, this time is DoubleClick cookie tracker, Spybot, Norton, MCafee, CWshredder failed to delete this. Im really a PC newbie but I don't find funny or nice having something sending me ads and tracking my cookies....

View more questions Search