Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    escog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 04:31 PM
    Ground Rod Installation
    I am installing a concrete patio 20'x18' over the area where the ground rod is currently installed. If I relocate the ground rod, what is the maximun distance from the main panel can the ground rod be installed?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 07:37 AM
    The rod can be at any reasonable length away, the issue is with the ground wire, it will need to be extended.

It may be best to run an entire new longer wire, as if it is spliced it needs to be a permanent irreversible connection.

This is not something a DIY'er can do, as this needs special tools or equipment.

Jul 31, 2007, 07:51 AM
    [QUOTE=tkrussell]The rod can be at any reasonable length away, the issue is with the ground wire, it will need to be extended.

It may be best to run an entire new longer wire, as if it is spliced it needs to be a permanent irreversible connection.

This is not something a DIY'er can do, as this needs special tools or equipment.[/

Jul 31, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Thanks for the response. I would like to lay a pvc electrical conduit under the concrete pad and run a new ground wire through the conduit from the main panel out 20' to two ground rods spaced 6' apart.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2007, 12:04 PM
    Perfect, sounds good to me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool installation [ 5 Answers ]

Hi all, We are installing an above ground pool, we got the ground level and the day of installation it downpoured rain. Now the area where the pool is being installed is wet very very wet. We have clay in the area to top it off. We have been waiting for the ground to dry for 2 days now. The...

Ground rod size and best way to drive them in hard red clay soil [ 2 Answers ]

I'm almost ready to install a 320 amp electrical service and would like to know what size ground rods to use. I'll be driving them into hard red clay and I would like to know the easiest , most efficient way to drive them. Also , what kind of clamps are best for attaching ground wire to rods? ...

Ground Rod Height? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, new homeowner... I just recently discovered this technological advance known as a "ground rod!" I apparently have two: one by my house and one by my pool. They stick out about 9 inches above ground level. They're unsightly and begging for someone to trip over them. Can I hammer...

No ground rod at main breaker. [ 10 Answers ]

I have been reading threads here but want to be sure I understand since electricity is potentially so dangerous. I have an old house. My main breaker box below the meter has two large hot legs and an uninsulated neutral. There is no ground terminal. There is no ground rod. I'm sure something is...

Above-ground pool installation [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently purchased a Muskin 18' round above ground pool from a friend; however, the instructions on the pool assembly can not be found. She didn't install the pool so she can't provide any advice on taking the pool down. I have searched the internet extensively for instructions with no...

View more questions Search