Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bellabrunetta37 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 21, 2005, 07:46 AM
    All of your advice is very helpful. I dyed my hair dark brown a little over two months ago. It's still black. How long do I have to wait before it's "safe" to try a lightening kit? Loreal has a kit that lightens hair but it says right on it that you shouldn't use it on dyed dark brown or black hair. I didn't know if there was a time afterwards that I could use it without totally ruining my hair, please help
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Dec 21, 2005, 07:59 AM
    The best advice...
    Quote Originally Posted by PrettynPetite1
    Hello,TamaraInkk, I will answer your question before I go out tonight. When you add bleach to your hair it will change your hair color in stages. First it will change from black to red, and then lighten gradually from red to orange, orange to yellow, and finally from yellow to white. When your hair is very dark and you want to dye it blonde, it will most likely turn orange. The hair would have to be bleached to remove the dark color. Changing your hair color can be a difficult process. I don't think you should do this on your own. I recommend that you see a hairstylist.

Some hairstylists will get confuse when toning down hair colors. Let your hairstylist know that they need to use a violet base color to neutralize the orange in your hair. To tone down the red, they have to use ash/green based color. Good luck, hun.
    Dear Pretty... you really know and care about the outcome of some of the vast expectations of several dark-haired women who want to become blondes overnight. This is not possible unless they go to professionals, and you've been trying so kindly to explain this. I hope this sinks in to most. Also, someone stated that they were in the sun and in the pool - what most un-natural blondes forget, that the pools with clorine in them will give their hair a shade of green - which is not fun. The sun is a natural bleecher, and also dries out the hair if not treated with the appropriate products to prevent this. I just love the way you try to explain and wish you were here to help me with mine.
    LADIES - THIS GIRL KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT - LISTEN UP...
    PrettyLady Posts: 2,765, Reputation: 332
    -

Dec 21, 2005, 11:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bellabrunetta37
    all of your advice is very helpful. I dyed my hair dark brown a little over two months ago. it's still black. how long do i have to wait before it's "safe" to try a lightening kit? loreal has a kit that lightens hair but it says right on it that you shouldn't use it on dyed dark brown or black hair. I didn't know if there was a time afterwards that I could use it without totally ruining my hair, please help
    Hello, bellabrunetta37. Remember that "Color does not lift color." When putting a brown color on very dark hair, it will do nothing. To lighten the hair one to two levels and add a color, you will have to use 20-volume peroxide.

Most women color their hair every 4 to 6 weeks. But it really depends on the porosity of your hair. If your hair is not damaged and is in good porosity, then it's okay to color it. Don't put the lightening kit on your hair, it's going to ruin it. Please consider letting your hairstylist color your hair. When the hairstylist colors your hair you can ask them questions and how to maintain the color on your own, it will save you money this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Chery
    Dear Pretty... you really know and care about the outcome of some of the vast expectations of several dark-haired women who want to become blondes overnight. This is not possible unless they go to professionals, and you've been trying so kindly to explain this. I hope this sinks in to most. Also, someone stated that they were in the sun and in the pool - what most un-natural blondes forget, that the pools with clorine in them will give their hair a shade of green - which is not fun. The sun is a natural bleecher, and also dries out the hair if not treated with the appropriate products to prevent this. I just love the way you try to explain and wish you were here to help me with mine.
    LADIES - THIS GIRL KNOWS WHAT SHE'S TALKING ABOUT - LISTEN UP...

Thank you Chery and BellBrunetta37. I came to this board to offer my help and I'm glad to see that my beauty advice is useful to people.
    lbtravel Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Advice that worked for me on too dark dye job
    I just wanted to pass on the help I received when I recently dyed my hair too dark. I have dark brown hair and chose a dark brown permanent hair color kit from the drugstore to cover the greys. My hair turned out almost black--I looked Goth. I've since learned that I was supposed to have used the medium brown hair color.

I tried shampooing a million times with Prell and really hot water... nothing worked. I went to Sally Beauty to see about getting a color deposit formula, and two very nice ladies working there told me that my best bet was to use original formula Dawn dishwashing liquid.

I didn't believe them at all. But I tried it and it totally worked! It had even been a few days since I had dyed my hair, and they said it wouldn't matter.

They told me to shampoo with the Dawn, leave it in about 5 minutes, and then rinse it out. I shampooed two more times after that just to be sure. You could see the dark water at the bottom of the shower from the hair dye rinsing out. Make sure you condition well because it does leave your hair pretty dry.

The color is still a teeny bit too dark, but at least I'm not embarrassed to go out in public again! :)

Hope this helps you like it did me!
    -

Jan 11, 2006, 10:47 PM
    I don't recommend using just Dawn detergent on your hair to fade the color, the chemicals in it will ruin your hair. Add a few drops of dish detergent to your shampoo before you use it on your hair. The detergent will dry out your hair like crazy. After you use a mixture of shampoo and liquid dish detergent to lift the color. Please apply a deep conditioning treatment on your hair for 15 to 20 minutes and use a plastic cap to protect your hair. The deep conditioning treatment will restore moisture balance to dry or damaged hair.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 13, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Pretty - got that 'spread it' message again.
    Girls, this lady knows what she's talking about, and her advice is, in my opinion, the best you can get - and it's FREE.

Too bad there is no 'donation slot' in the PCs and Internet. But people should at least rate you for your great advice!
    Sassy Mom Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2006, 08:32 PM
    Trying to remove colour
    I saw the postings about using 20 developer and shampoo to help lighten hair. Could you tell me how often I can do this and when I do apply should I let it sit on my hair.
    Thanks

Jan 13, 2006, 08:37 PM
    Hair dye remover
    I would like to know how often I can use the 20 developer along with shampoo to help remove the hair dye? And howlong should it sit on my hair if any?
    Also second question:: I seem to have some spots on my scalp they look just like a sunburn would on skin it does get itchy and I have been using a special oil that if for babies cradle cap to help with it but if I itch it then just like a sunburn it peels off and then I am left with dandruff looking things in my hair. Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening or fix this? I do colour my hair but usually only every 8 weeks. I did my last colour at the start of December. And I really want to get my hair back to my natural colour which is blonde. I have been colouring it brown for the last year.
    Thanks so much this site rocks.
    -

Jan 15, 2006, 11:15 PM
    Sassy, it appears that you have an unhealthy scalp, it might be seborrheic dermatitis. If the symptoms are scalp irritation, scales on the scalp or red patches you need to see a dermatologist for evaluation and treatment. I advise you not to put any peroxide or dye in your hair until your scalp has healed.

If your hair is brown and you want to be blonde, the 20 volume developer isn't strong enough to lighten your hair to blonde. You may need to use a 30 volume peroxide to strip the brown color from the hair, then a toner has to be applied. It's important to wait until your scalp is healthy before dyeing your hair. When your scalp is healed, please do not attempt to dye your hair on your own, it's best to let your hairstylist do it for you.
    -

Jan 17, 2006, 12:34 AM
    Chery, I hope she follows the advice and see a dermatologist. If she puts a hair dye or peroxide on her head. She will have an abnormal reaction such as redness, itching, burning, or other signs of irritation. You should never use a hair color if your scalp shows any evidence of abrasion, eruption or other abnormal condition. It's best to make sure that the scalp is healthy before applying hair dyes or other chemicals to the hair.

Jan 17, 2006, 06:05 AM
    Hair dye remover
    I have made an appointment finally to see the dr. but I did read online that putting apple cider videgar would help heal any irritations on the scalp and what do you know it seems to be working. I have not been itching at all nor do I have redness.I am not doing the peroxide treatments for some time and I already use salon dye I don't even bother with the stuff they sell in the store.
    Thanks so much for your help:)
    courtney81 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Help for unwanted dark hair
    I just colored my dark brown hair a natural black color and I think it is way too dark. I called my grandma who is a former hairstylist. She recommended that I wash my hair with liquid clothes soap, towel dry and repeat a few times then put on a conditoner and leave on for about 1/2 hour. Good luck and may I suggest temporary hair color as opposed to permanent!
    -

Jan 18, 2006, 12:52 AM
    Sassy, your welcome. I'm so glad that you've made an appointment to see your dermatologist. It's very important that the scalp is in healthy condition before using hair dyes. The use of hair dyes can trigger dermatitis with symptoms ranging from mild itchiness to even hair loss. If you have any abrasions on your scalp, please wait until they are healed.

Courtney, someone has mentioned using dish detergent on their hair to fade the color. I've recommended that they not use just dish detergent on their hair. I had to tell them to add a few drops of dish detergent to their shampoo before using it on the hair, then apply a deep conditioning treatment for at least 20 minutes. Using dish or clothes detergents will leave the hair in poor porosity. I don't want to see people ruining their hair or loose it, that's why I advise people to see a professional hairstylist. The hairstylist will diffuse the unwanted color and apply a corrective hair color.

Sometimes it is necessary to remove all color from the hair in order to achieve the correct color. Dye removers are not generally sold for use by unprofessionals because the process is too complex for the untrained. Therefore, color removing is a professional service done by hairstylists. Color removers may contain ingredients designed to diffuse pigment, both natural and artificial, and are sometimes mixed with hydrogen peroxide. Ladies, it's best not to attempt to dye your hair on your own, you will most likely end up with different shades and it will be harder to correct the color. I suggest that you schedule an appointment with your hairstylist to color your hair, they will make sure that the hair is one even shade, and they also will give you tips on how to maintain your color.
    Catcher7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2006, 09:19 PM
    So upset
    I went to a salon and asked for a warm brown with a slight red tint. I got dark brown on my ends and copper penny colored on my scalp. To fix it, I dyed it all dark brown. But I'm almost in tears because you can still see some red through it and its so dark brown. If I use that prell shampoo will it only remove the brown and leave the copper color or will it remove both shades gradually?

I'm so upset right now :(
    -

Jan 20, 2006, 01:28 AM
    Sorry to hear that you didn't get the color wanted at the salon. Sometimes, getting the exact color can be tricky. The hairstylist that did your hair didn't choose the right color. You should have gone back to the salon and have them fix it, most salons will re-do the client's hair if they're not happy with it. However, you've decided add another color to your hair and the salon you've went to will not fix it for free since you did it on your own. Unfortunately, Prell will not remove the dark color or the red in your hair, it will fade the color slightly. Your hair is level 3 dark brown, but since you want it lighter, you will need to go to level 5. Level 5 is "Light Brown" and it will lift your color about a shade or 2. But you've also mentioned that you have red tones in your hair. The ash colors gets rid of the red tones on the hair. So the color you will need to use is "Light Ash Brown." When you apply the color make sure that it's distributed evenly throughout the hair, and leave it in a little longer than the usual time. Hun, next time have a hairstylist do it for you.
    Teaghue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 06:08 PM
    Hey there

I recently dyed my hair tips red. BRIGHT red. I made the mistake of bleeching my hair before I did it (I have dark brown, bleeched the tips blond) and dyeing the tips red. I was hopeing for a dark red, but got a "coke can" type color. Now as it is fading (We dyed it this past Saturday) it is turning orange. I would like to get it back to just the bleeched tips by Monday (if possible at this point). Is there anything I can do?

I liked the blond tips, but this orange is killing me! It just isn't my color. Hehe :D
    -

Jan 21, 2006, 01:02 AM
    Teaghue, the ends of your hair was overprocessed. When your trying to achieve a red color you should never bleach your hair above the orange stage. Remember that red fades faster than any other colors, and it will most likely turn orange. It's best to choose a red color with a touch of brown in it because it will penetrate the hair shaft better. But if you want to go from orange to blonde, then you will need to bleach the hair. You must also make sure that the porosity of your hair is in good condition before you lighten it. If your hair is healthy, apply a 20 volume peroxide, leave it on for about 5 minutes, then rinse it off and dry your hair. Next, apply a neutral blonde toner and the tips of your hair will be blonde again.

I've noticed that a lot of you ladies have been coming to me for help on how to correct your hair color. I understand that some you don't have the money to go see a hairstylist. Since I'm also a Cosmetologist, I will try my best to help you. But if I feel that your hair is in bad porosity, I will have to refer you to a hairstylist. However, I will give you information that you can take to your hairstylist. Ladies, feel free to ask me any questions, I'll happy to answer them on the board.
    Teaghue Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2006, 08:03 AM
    Hey, thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that this is only semi-perminent. It is fadeing, but I want to gone faster if possible. I can see some blond through the orange so I am assuming that it will all fade to blond over time, correct?

^_^ Thank you so much for your help. You are a life saver. Btw, I'm a guy. Lol.
    -

Jan 21, 2006, 05:23 PM
    Teaghue, if you have used a semi-permanent color in your hair, the color will last within 2 to 6 weeks. A semi-permanent color is suppose fade after 6 shampoos, but it does not rinse completely out of bleached or light hair. Your hair will fade if you shampoo it a lot. I didn't know that you were a guy, it's great to see that guys are also coming to me for hair advice. Guys like to get highlights in their hair, they prefer blue, red or blonde highlights. My brother is in an alternative rock band, so he asked me to do red highlights in his hair. After I came home from work, I went to see him to do his hair, and all his friends were there. He told me that his friends think that I'm hot looking and they like to go over his place whenever I'm there. Now his friends call me to cut their hair all the time. I don't think you will have another hair disaster, post #37 has all the answers you need. It's good to hear that I'm a life saver, if you have any more questions, post it on the board and I'll be glad to answer them.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 22, 2006, 12:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaghue
    Hey, thanks for the advice. I forgot to mention that this is only semi-perminent. It is fadeing, but I want to gone faster if possible. I can see some blond through the orange so I am assuming that it will all fade to blond over time, correct?

^_^ Thank you so much for your help. You are a life saver. Btw, im a guy. lol.
    If pretty's advice is not fast enough for you, there is a wax that is in a can and it's especially for blonds, it puts a golden blond highlite on, so try that on the tips on Saturday if nothing else worked. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How do I fade my black hair dye? [ 36 Answers ]

The day before yesterday I dyed my hair black. My natural hair color is dark brown and I like my hair really dark, but the black is a bit well... black :( . I want to fade it a bit and make it tone down a little faster. I have heard that washing your hair with Prell shampoo and putting hot...

Need Help Growing Hair Faster [ 18 Answers ]

Does anyone know what I can do to help grow my hair faster? I decided to let someone "MY AUNT" perm my hair and it fell out. My hair use to be down the middle of my back now its to my shoulders. It's really short, I just want my hair back. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO HELP MY HAIR GROW FASTER?

What color would my hair fade into.. [ 7 Answers ]

Ok well... I heard that Prell shampoo works well. See... I experiment with my hair often. My hairstylist, Carlos, and me decided I could go a shade and a half brighter in my red because it was fading fast. I was scared to do the whole head so I higlighted it... and because of that, I did not dye my...

How to Fade Dyed Dark Hair? [ 12 Answers ]

Im naturally a very fair, light brown colour hair and I died it black about 3 months ago but because my hair is so long I used two hair dyes to cover it. Unfortunately it didn't and the ends of my hair stayed the same light colour. Now my roots are coming through so I have light roots and light...

Make hair grow faster [ 5 Answers ]

Hi is there any thing I should eat or pop in to make hair grow faster? I colored my hair and I do not like it but I do not want to color again I just want to grow back my natural hair color

View more questions Search