Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jmwade Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 03:25 PM
    Tenant on lease with option refusing to pay rent. Hand delivered 5 day pay or quit.
    Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump tenant wouldn't fix cost $235 which I paid. The well pump also went out and I repaired at $485. Tenant is refusing to pay for repairs and rent. I gave them 5 day pay or quit notice and the time is up. I will file unlawful detainer in next day or so. Tenant had very little option money and signed $4800 promissory note which they have paid $400 and are now in default on promissory note. They have also defaulted on lease agreement. The agreement states the tenant will be responsible for lease until I re-lease the property. They also signed a property inspection affidavit stating the property is being leased with option-to -buy in "as is" condition and all systems were working fine when they moved in. They also signed Tenant/Disclosure which states that series of contracts and agreements establishes landlord-tenant relationship and they have also violated the language of this disclosure.
    What is the fastest way to get them out? Should I take their money with reservation even though I'm asking for possession? Are they obligated by contract to pay balance of promissory note? Will I be able to get judgement for lease amount until I am able to lease? Lease is 1000monthly and option is 200 monthly. Should I show 1200 or 1000 on unlawful detainer and do I show promissory note balance and reimbursement for repairs also? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I need the tenants out ASAP.
    jeanneb74 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 07:21 AM
    Usually a judge will give you only two months worth of payments . That is usually enogh time in the court system to get another tenant. And any repairs needed or the agreed to pay they will have to pay that too. Also you can show the promissary note and you should get that too. Good luck
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Jul 31, 2007, 07:38 AM
    VA Small Claims limit was raised to $5,000 in July, 2006 - file your UD ASAP for the rent that is due NOT ANY OPTION PORTION - and then, at the same time, file for the monies under the note...

Although I don't do lease options, when I file UDs, I always file in SCC for the NEXT month's rent since the UD process takes so long - 21 days to the return date and then setting the case for trial - I don't dismiss the UD untill/unless the tenant pays all amounts for both suits.
    Kishore Vasanjee Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 11, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jmwade
    Property is located in Virginia. The tenant signed lease agreement and option agreement. The rent is $1000 monthly and the option is paid separately at $200 monthly. The rental agreement states tenant is responsible for repairs per incident up to $500. The blower motor went out on Heat pump tenant wouldn't fix cost $235 which I paid. The well pump also went out and I repaired at $485. Tenant is refusing to pay for repairs and rent. I gave them 5 day pay or quit notice and the time is up. I will file unlawful detainer in next day or so. Tenant had very little option money and signed $4800 promissory note which they have paid $400 and are now in default on promissory note. They have also defaulted on lease agreement. The agreement states the tenant will be responsible for lease until I re-lease the property. They also signed a property inspection affidavit stating the property is being leased with option-to -buy in "as is" condition and all systems were working fine when they moved in. They also signed Tenant/Disclosure which states that series of contracts and agreements establishes landlord-tenant relationship and they have also violated the language of this disclosure.
    What is the fastest way to get them out? Should I take their money with reservation even though I'm asking for possession? Are they obligated by contract to pay balance of promissory note? Will I be able to get judgement for lease amount until I am able to lease? Lease is 1000monthly and option is 200 monthly. Should I show 1200 or 1000 on unlawful detainer and do I show promissory note balance and reimbursement for repairs also? Any input would be greatly appreciated because I need the tenants out ASAP.
    When I was in Virginia I made "friends" with a few law enforcement officers who would always help ensure my payment was met on time. This was a motel so it was easy. If you really want your money then go to city hall and file breach of contract and non payment of rents due. This process can take forever as when a Judge does issue a warrant of arrest it has to be served to the defaulting party. The defaulting party can be in the home and refuse to answer the door whenever a sheriff knocks to issue the warrant. So on...
    You could alternately have them removed while having filed against them. You could approach a law firm ( free advice from retired lawyers) and follow their suggestions. They can be found in the phone directory or you could call your congressmans office and they will offer the same. Good luck.
    CVM1958 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 25, 2009, 08:03 PM
    My advice is to evict them and move on. Please send me details on the property, I have 15 years hospitality experience with 4 years living on property as a motel resident general manager. I have been waiting close to 20 years to
    Buy my own motel but I am not a millionaire to buy one. I have the passion, vision, discipline to operate and manage a property and meet all ADR and REVPAR
    Reuirements. Please send me full details and I will travel to your location and relocate if we can meet an amiable situation. Please, please call me 702-953-7306.
    Thank you in advance for your time and courtesy.

Christopher

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Pay Rent or Quit in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Can a pay rent or quit form be delivered by registered mail in VA or must it be served?

Tenant can't pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

I have been renting out rooms in my house to make ends meet until it sells . The renters knew it was for sale before they moved in . One of the renters told me she can't pay the rent this month cause she quit her job as it was to stressful . She also said if I had to evict her then do it . I am on...

One of Co-Tenants refusing to pay rent and security deposit [ 2 Answers ]

In my house in New Brunswick, NJ, one of my co-tenants is making an extremely unfair demand that would cause 8 of us to suffer unfairly because of that one person. The co-tenant says that if we don't agree to the demand, then she won't pay her security deposit and rent. Do we have to worry...

Pay Rent or Quit in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay. Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a...

View more questions Search