Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IN Need Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 09:58 AM
    All sinks, washer, and tub are slow to drain
    Currently the sink is backing up. I just used the garbage disposal and put some spagetti noodles down. Then water backed up in the sink and also in the dishwasher. I checked the pee trap for clogs. I just put in new pee trap last month. Also new garbage disposal and dishwasher.

In addition, the washer is draining slow which is located in the gargage as well as the bathroom sink. This house was built in 1956. I put in new pee trap in bathroom last month also. How do you address issues in the plumbing line? I have tried to resolve it fixing things I can do from the interior. New faucets in both kitchen and bath, new pee traps, new dishwasher, and new disposal. Oh yes, also the tub is draining slow also in bathroom.

HELP!!

Susan
    scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 30, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by IN Need
    Currently the sink is backing up. I just used the garbage disposal and put some spagetti noodles down. Then water backed up in the sink and also in the dishwasher. I checked the pee trap for clogs. I just put in new pee trap last month. Also new garbage disposal and dishwasher.

In addition, the washer is draining slow which is located in the gargage as well as the bathroom sink. This house was built in 1956. I put in new pee trap in bathroom last month also. How do you address issues in the plumbing line? I have tried to resolve it fixing things I can do from the interior. New faucets in both kitchen and bath, new pee traps, new dishwasher, and new disposal. Oh yes, also the tub is draining slow also in bathroom.

HELP!!!!!!

Susan
    Sounds like maybe you need to snake your main line...

You haven't mentioned if you're on city or septic (hope city sewer if you're putting spaghetti down the drain!) but you can probably snake it either way.

You can rent machines to do it yourself, or any plumber or drain-rooter type service can handle it.

Before you spend the money, you could find the main cleanout and open it to observe the water flowing past (make sure nothing is backed up before you open it, or there'll be a mess)

If the whole house is draining slow... has water backed up out of the lowest drain in the house?

~a
    Ken 297 Posts: 112, Reputation: 24

Jul 30, 2007, 08:22 PM
    You should call the sewer authority in you area if you are on City sewers.
    In my area the City will come out and snake it for free if the blockage is on the public portion.
    If not they will be able to recommend plumbers in your area.
    Scirocco is right you will need to find the cleanout in the basement. They are commonly near the front wall on the floor. In the 50's the water line was brought in at the same time and the cleanouts should be near the water meter. Not always, but a good place to start looking.
    Once you find the cleanout take of the cap and you should be able to look in and see the bottom of the pipe.
    If this pipe is holding water then it is a good indication the line is blocked.
    Once you have the cleanout,post what you found and we can go from there if you need more help.
    P.S. The cleanout is different than the floor drain.
    IN Need Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2007, 09:30 AM
    Thank YOU!

I will follow-up with your suggestions. I appreciate both of you responding. Yes spaghetti, not a good move. But the house is in the City which is good. If any more problems I will write back.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Slow drain both toilets, sinks, everything [ 2 Answers ]

I am fearing that in an effort to save time, I plugged up the mainline. I flushed some clumping kitty litter. It plugged the toilet. I plunged it like a hundred times. It freed. Fine for a couple days. Then, toilets fill up, don't go down right away. In the upstairs bathroom, if you...

New Install slow Tub drain [ 3 Answers ]

I just remodeled my upstairs bathroom, I installed a new whirlpool tub, the drain that came with it is only 1 1/4 " and it drains very slow. I replaced all my drain lines down to the basement and everything else works great. But what I did do is put the tub trap in the floor. It was a 2" trap could...

Slow Tub/shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

My first attempt so please bear with me. By the time I finish a shower I'm in ankle deep water. Tub drains, but slowly. Can't get the drain out so removed the plate below the faucet and ran the snake through there. Got around all the bends and went the length of the snake -- about 20 ft. ...

Clearing slow drain on tub [ 5 Answers ]

I live in an older home and have a tub and bathroom sink that drain very Slowly. When I drain the sink, I can hear a gurgling in the tub drain and, When I put a lot of water down the sink drain, some water will come up from The tub drain into the tub. I've been putting some Drano down the...

View more questions Search