Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lawster Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2007, 04:19 AM
    My PC will only load up into DOS now, it worked yesterday!
    Hi,

Yesterday my computer was working fine, I have a 64 bit PC running windows x64 professional.

The internet stopped working yesterday, I called the provider who walked me through everything and said that my network drivers were corrupt and I needed to re-install them (this is why it was not picking up the Ethernet connection).

So I put my nVidia4 disk (that came with the PC) into the drive and re-installed the drivers. It asked me to restart the PC for the changes to take effect, which I did.

Now when turning the PC on, it just boots up straight into "Free Dos brought to you by Nero Express"

All it says in Dos is: Do you want to create a Serial ATA disk Y/N. If I click N it just stays in Dos. Should I type Y? What will this do and how do I get back to windows?

I do get another option: I think its says press F8 to trace.

Any assistance at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 30, 2007, 04:27 AM
    Have you tried a system restore back a couple of days?

Jul 30, 2007, 06:08 AM
    Hi Curlyben,

I haven't tried this, what commands do I need to type into Dos to start this off?

Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 30, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Boot to safe mode and follow the prompts.

Jul 30, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Thanks, I'll try this tonight and let you know how I get on
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jul 30, 2007, 10:34 AM
    Is this a custom PC?

Did you remove the drive cd, before rebooting?

I know with the Asus boards I have, that rebooting with the driver cd and the BIOS set to boot from CD first, will boot into Freedos without giving you the boot from cd prompt.

It is a recovery mode for flashing the bios.

Jul 31, 2007, 03:54 AM
    Thanks very much for your help, that was exactly what it was. I had the nVidia 4 disc in my drive. When I clicked Restart my computer it was booting from the nVidia disc and taking me into FreeDos.

Cheers for your help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mom.it was your birthday yesterday.I miss you [ 5 Answers ]

Mom... I miss you. I was cleaning out my closet the other day and I found your old greeting cards you sent. I read them all. I miss finding them randomly in the mail. You words of encouragement. You always said that I was the best thing to happen in your life. You always told me that I was...

Puppy was spayed yesterday, after care? [ 5 Answers ]

Callie was spayed yesterday. When I picked her up the ran down the list of aftercare instructions but I was so focused on her and my daughter who wasn't behaving that I would like to make sure I heard correctly. She was very groggy yesterday, barely moved and slept all day. This morning she woke...

I got my bfp yesterday now I have a lot of questions [ 4 Answers ]

I confirmed it four times and I now have four bfps so its safe to say I am pregnant. I can't go to the doctor until next week. So till then what can I eat and can't eat also what's the best vitamins I can get till I see my doctor? Or should I just wait it out on the vitamins till I see the doctor?

Oprah Show Yesterday [ 2 Answers ]

Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? Guests were John Edwards and the Ms. Dubios (the show Medium is based on her). I found it to be very interesting. What did others think?

View more questions Search