Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andy ure Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2005, 09:33 PM
    Shower drain installation
    Hi

I'm installing a new shower base that came with a self caulking drain (has a rubber caulking ring that tightens round the 2" waste pipe). When the shower base is in position the drain is ever so slightly off center and I can't get the rubber ring over the waste pipe. The drain is set in concrete and can't be moved so I'm figuring I'm going to ditch the rubber caulking ring and tighening nut and just apply silicone in the space between pvc pipe and drain flange. Does that sound OK?

Thanks,

A
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 1, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andy ure
    hi

i'm installing a new shower base that came with a self caulking drain (has a rubber caulking ring that tightens round the 2" waste pipe). when the shower base is in position the drain is ever so slightly off center and i can't get the rubber ring over the waste pipe. the drain is set in concrete and can't be moved so i'm figuring i'm going to ditch the rubber caulking ring and tighening nut and just apply silicone in the space between pvc pipe and drain flange. does that sound OK?

thanks,

a
    Good morning Andy,

If I couldn't move the stub-up a little then I would certainly try to move the base, even if I had to shave something to do it. That "rubber ring" is a compression "O" ring and I sure couldn't guarantee that silicone jel would replace it. I would make the original set up work if I could. Good luck, Tom
    andy ure Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 1, 2005, 09:46 PM
    Thanks for your reply tom. The waste pipe is rock solid so I followed your advice and shaved a bit off the cement lip by the threshold of the shower base (base is installed on the concrete slab which is lower than the tile installation that has been laid on a poured concrete floor on top of the slab, if that makes any sense!). Anyway, gave me a little more play and with some soap and elbow grease I managed to get the rubber ring over the pvc pipe, flush with the top of the pipe. Tightened the caulking nut as much as I could, which wasn't many turns, but it's very tight. However, it squished out a tiny part of the rubber ring over the top of the pipe and the caulking nut isn't level, almost as if it misthread. I undid and tried a couple more times, but the same each time. Doesn't seem quite right, so was thinking I should also add a bead of silicone around where the pvc pipe and caulking nut meet...
    By the way, this is a basment installation, so not sure how I'll ever know if the seal isn't 100%...
    Thanks,

Andy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Shower Drain Installation [ 3 Answers ]

As part of a remodeling effort, we are having a tiled shower built in our guest bathroom. We had a plumber come out to run the water and drain lines. He installed the drain. Last night I noticed that the hole he cut in the plywood sub flooring is quite a bit larger than the drain, so that...

Shower installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi There New here.Can anybody help me with step by step installation Of a shower (meaning heights from trap to pan). Thanks Guys

Floor Drain Installation [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I need some help installing a floor drain. However, the situation is not such a simple one. The first picture (below) shows the job site. What makes this situation unique is that it is not a tiled or otherwise waterproof floor, nor does the owner plan to do so in the near future; in...

ABS Fiberglass Shower Drain Installation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've read some great posts on the forums but still can't fully answer my hopefully simple question. I'm installing a fiberglass shower in my basement and picked up an ABS screw-in drain for it to connect to my abs drain pipe. The drain came with a rubber gasket, I'm wondering which side of...

Shower drain installation [ 2 Answers ]

Good morning, I am installing a shower floor pan with an integral drain. Should any lubricant be used to install the seal around the 2" drain pipe? Thank you, Jk

View more questions Search