Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryguy76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Will this work?
    Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me out with my question.

I had to replace my 1/4" rotted out subfloor around my toilet, luckily the 5/8 plywood underneath was just stained from the rotted subflooring.

I'm going to be using this seal instead of the traditional wax seal, which leads me to my question.

When I cut out the hole in the new 1/4" subfloor to accommodate the toilet flange, I ended up cutting it too big. But I am tiling the floor and will tile as close to the flange as I can get, I'm wondering if it's really going to be that big of a deal that the subfloor isn't tighter around the flange. The flange will be a 1/4" below the surface of the tile and the toilet will be resting solely on the tiles... (which is apparently quite all right with this seal) So is this something that I should redo to get a tighter fit or should I leave it and just continue?

Should I fill the gap with tiling mortar? I've included a pic to show how much bigger the hole is than the flange.

Thanks in advance...

Ryan
    Attached Images

scirocco70 Posts: 128, Reputation: 9

Jul 28, 2007, 11:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ryguy76
    Hello,

Hopefully someone can help me out with my question.

I had to replace my 1/4" rotted out subfloor around my toilet, luckily the 5/8 plywood underneath was just stained from the rotted subflooring.

I'm going to be using this seal instead of the traditional wax seal, which leads me to my question.

When I cut out the hole in the new 1/4" subfloor to accommodate the toilet flange, I ended up cutting it too big. But I am tiling the floor and will tile as close to the flange as I can get, I'm wondering if it's really going to be that big of a deal that the subfloor isn't tighter around the flange. The flange will be a 1/4" below the surface of the tile and the toilet will be resting solely on the tiles... (which is apparently quite alright with this seal) So is this something that I should redo to get a tighter fit or should I leave it and just continue?

Should I fill the gap with tiling mortar? I've included a pic to show how much bigger the hole is than the flange.

Thanks in advance...

Ryan
    Looks like it might be OK, to me.. but I'm not a plumber. Normally the flange rests on TOP of the finished floor surface, including the tiling.

Do you still have the piece that you cut out of the new plywood? Just cut a smaller hole in it and put it back in there (after taking the flange off).

You could even make another 'donut' out of the same plywood to bring the flange up level with the tiling, more or less. The Fernco seal is very forgiving though, so it's probably not critical.

;-)

~aaron
    ryguy76 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Good idea about using the cut-out ring. The flange is fastened to the underneath 5/8" floor so I don't think it needs to be fastened to the 1/4" subfloor. It wasn't fastened to the rotted subfloor. The Fernco seal also states that it allows for countersunk flanges up to 3/4" below the finished flooring surface. So I'm hoping I'll be OK. But I will make a donut from the circle leftover from the first cutout to fill in the gap around the flange.

Do you still have the piece that you cut out of the new plywood? Just cut a smaller hole in it and put it back in there (after taking the flange off).
    Why do you recommend taking the flange off... I don't understand this?

Cheers...

Any other opinions or thoughts anyone?
    stew_1962 Posts: 255, Reputation: 10

Jul 29, 2007, 12:34 PM
    I prefer the flange to be extended. Fill in the gap with some floor filler before you tile, just to get support under the tile near the flange.

Use one of these:
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

Do you think it will really work out? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi my name is Sarah, I have a problem. My boyfreind barley calls me anymore, I never get to see him, and I can never call him because I don't know how to get up with him. I want this relationship to work out because I love him more then words can express we have been going out for about 3 months...

Does it really work? [ 3 Answers ]

Does this stuff really work? In a way I kind of believe it does because once I went with my friend to get hers done and at the end the lady was telling my friend in spanish things about me and my daughter and her father. (He's in jail) it was kind of freaking, cause I didn't ask for a reading but...

View more questions Search