Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Murakumon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2005, 04:59 PM
    I Have The Same Thing...
    I too have this problem only:

1. I get no error beeps from my mobo
    2. It is not the mobo itself or the processor, they have both been replaced.
    3. The all fans run and all lights turn on

Im using the GIGABYTE K8 Ultra-SLI motherboard with the GIGABYTE Nivida 6600GT 16-PCI Graphics card.

I turn on the computer, brand new made it ( or at least attempted to make it ) myself. I get no signal, the keyboard lights turn on, and the fans work. But my monitor won't display a thing.

I have tried entering bios, resetting cmos, and most of the things on this page. I'm really lost. Any suggestions?

( Additional Specs: )

AMD Athlon 64 ( 1.8GHz ) Venice
    HITACHI 40 GB, IDE Hard Drive
    Corsair ValueSelect 1 GB ( two 512MB )
    Creative SoundBlaster 24 Live Sound Card
    And of course a handy-down Samsung dvd-rom from my 2002 dell.

well, that ends my knowledge :P
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Nov 19, 2005, 11:44 AM
    Testing failures beyond POST
    Stu, in a prev life I did design verifications for cpu and sub-system designs for the corps that designed and manufactured the different technologies... we're talking about test equipment that runs $500k ~ $2M+ (USD) :eek: . Due to sheer complexity of the chip designs, self-test is (sometimes) designed into the circuit and more often than not even the manufacturers (e.g. mobo, controllers, sub-system designers, etc) are not even aware of this functionality... Obviously, consumers would definitely not have access or knowledge of this embed diagnostics/debug capability. Also, due to component cost and extreme complexity, most ""generic" test systems offer nothing more than basic continuity testers with some go-no-go functional test capability.

The PC's very basic POST (Power On Self-Test) is pretty much the consumer has for assistance in determining PC power-up failures. Truly, the next step is test equipment (VOM, oscilloscope, logic analyzer, etc), a schematic and a board layout. In a (sub) system design, without the all three you are pretty much left with board/component swapping & searching for needles in a hay-stack... This is why mfg's replace (vs repair) warranty systems. Who is willing to pay $1k+ worth of labor for a $25 part? If anyone has this need, they should contact me offline and I will be glad to provide a quote.

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by StuMegu
    I'm still looking for a good CPU and Motherboard tester, I've tried some but nothing has really struck me as good. You can get hardware testers that plug in to the PCI slot and perform tests! Maybe this is the best way to go for someone testing regularly but no good for one off's.

The only other way I know is to find another motherboard or cpu that matches the faulty set and swap till you drop!

does anyone else have any good mobo/cpu testing programs?
    bobgts Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2005, 12:54 PM
    Battling the no-response monitor
    I have a more complicated version of the same problem. My roommate's computer is a 500MHz Celeron running windows xp, which it has done for a long time. Graphics card isn't the problem. I don't know his other stats.

My computer is a P4 2.4b w/ 512 on an msi 845E max. PSU is 350w enermax. Graphics card is an ati 9600. Hard drives are Western Digital Caviar (60gb master 120gb slave). Monitors: HP vs19c, Princeton 17"crt.

Roomie's comp went down this morning in the same way the other people in the thread's had. His computer sounds like it is firing up, and all the lights flash, but the monitor doesn't get signal. We tried two other monitors and two other graphics cards (a TI4200 and an ATI 9600) but neither changed the result. After trying a while we decided to back up his hard drive so that he could take his system in to get fixed.

I took his hard drive, unplugged my master drive and plugged his in, hoping to back his drive to my secondary which is also plugged in. Same thing--black screen, only my comp has the msi d-led error reporter plugged in which returned a status message. Of the four lights, all were red except the bottom left, which indicates the computer is "Initializing Keyboard Controller."

http://www.msicomputer.com/support/sup_tshoot.asp

It gets worse. The computer isn't booting, so I power it down and unplug his hard drive and plug mine back in without my secondary drive. The monitor comes on, and the computer begins post, but it hangs up on a screen that says there was a boot failure from previous device, and it asks for a floppy disk to boot from. (This is my normal boot drive.) I put in my windows disks and restarted it, but it was the same. I can't even get to the BIOS.

I thought maybe I should plug in my other drive to bring the system back to how it usually is, so I powered off and plugged it in. Bad choice--black screens every time with that same status message "Initialising Keyboard Controller."

I know that that status unit works (D-LED), as in the past I have gotten a few correctly diagnosed error reports from it.

Now there are two dead computers here and all they have in common is that both have touched this cursed hard drive. Very weird. :confused:
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Dec 11, 2005, 01:58 PM
    You have to suspect the HDD in this case, as you say it's the only common factor. Maybe it is somehow corrupting the IDE controller on the MOBO. All I can suggest for this is to remove all drives, reset the CMOS memory on the mobo and try again. If you haven't already, I would pull the plug on the system for a while also (1/2 an hour).

Needless to say don't use the cursed hard drive unless you find another culprit. Do you have any power problems in the building?

Dec 11, 2005, 02:33 PM
    There are no power problems in the house that I'm aware of. I'm going to try the CMOS reset.

Dec 11, 2005, 02:56 PM
    Victory
    Thank you for the suggestions. I gave the evil hard drive back to my roommate, and let the computer sit for about 2 hours. It started normally and booted with no errors or problems right into windows. I didn't even try resetting the CMOS. (That would have been the next step.)

Thanks again.

Dec 12, 2005, 05:11 AM
    Glad you got your machine back OK! Will this solution help recover the original PC (minus HDD)? Worth a try.

If there's nothing essential on the drive I would bin it, but if there is, you could always try again on a sacrificial system (old & unused) by putting it on as a slave drive on the secondary channel. This way it will probably avoid the boot sequence and you may be able to get to it to copy the files across.

Dec 13, 2005, 03:53 PM
    As it turns out, my roommate would just rather throw it out and get a new one. I did as you suggestedwith my extra system, and had to wait the 2 hours for "old and busted" to come back to life.
    balot Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2005, 10:00 AM
    Got the same problem with my monitor...

When I turn on the PC all works fine but suddenly in the middle of something my monitor (only) will just turn off (black screen) with no power. What would be the problem..

Thanks...
    nvus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 10:28 AM
    I get the same problem. I turn on my comp and I can hear everything running but when I turn the monitor on it has no signal. This happened to me a couple of months ago and my mom gave it to her friend to fix. After about 3 months of not having my comp I finally got it back and he said the problem was I fried my hard drive :confused: . Yesterday, my sound randomly didn't work so I unplugged my headset and just as I plugged it back in, I lost signal to my monitor. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ATI card/driver (I never updated my drivers but maybe the person who fixed it did). 2 of my friends with a 9200 got the same problem. One reformatted (he could see everything load up but then it went to no signal) and the other brought it to some comp 'experts' and they said his power supply blew so he got a new one. Both of my friends' comps are fine. I have a 9800pro and I just had it fixed a couple of months ago and now I face the same problem I had before. I Google "ati no signal from monitor" and it seems A lot of people have this same problem.

Dec 27, 2005, 12:32 PM
    Just to clarify for everyone, If the screen is viewable when the computer is booting (black & white screen bit) and then goes off when windows loads, it is possibly the driver.

If you don't get anything at all whilst booting, it is more likely hardware - either the monitor or the video card (or motherboard etc) Drivers are only applied to the loaded windows operating system. Whilst booting the system uses a more basic vga standard to output images to the screen.

In the first instance you need to check the drivers for the video card and/or the screen resolution settings. In the second instance you need to swap out different aspects of the hardware to identify the faulty component.

Hope this helps:)
    Ramjam Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2005, 06:07 PM
    Another Monitor Problem...
    Hello Peep's

Ive Got A Real Weird Question... It's a Similar Subject To What Everyone Else Has Had But Slightly Different...

I Went Out To Pc World And Bought A New Computer Case... Now Bearing In Mind My COmputer Was Working...

I Came Home And Took Everything Out Of My Pc And Changed All My Components Over To The New Pc Case... Now All Of A Sudden My Monitor Doesn't Work, It Stay's In Standby , ( Orange Light )

Im About To Test My Graphics Card In Another System That I Know Work's Is There Anything Else Worth Wile Testing Wile Im Testing My Graphics Card ( GeForce FX5200 8xAgp Ect Ect... )

Ive Tried Resetting The Cmos And Stuff...

But Still No Luck Can Anyone Help Me With This Situation... Im Going To Try The Leave The PC Alone For 2 Hours... Then Im Going to Try It Again...

Please Post Back Soon With A Solulation For My Problem... If Anybody Has One Of Course...

Many Thanks

Ramjam...
    shauwai Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2006, 09:10 PM
    Hello

Hmm that is a weird arrss problem you got there... maybe you have damaged some of the components?Hope not though

Anyway I have a problem as well,I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor shows no signal, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work), an old tnt2 works but this graphics card doesn't, I have tested it on another PC and it works there, I got a new power supply(power supply works with it too on other pc) and updated my intel chipset drivers.What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for the help

Wai
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 2, 2006, 07:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramjam
    Hello Peep's

I Went Out To Pc World And Bought A New Computer Case ... Now Bearing In Mind My COmputer Was Working ...

I Came Home And Took Everything Out Of My Pc And Changed All My Components Over To The New Pc Case ... Now All Of A Sudden My Monitor Doesnt Work, It Stay's In Standby , ( Orange Light )

Many Thanks

Ramjam .....
    This is hardly a beginner's question. You would be better off starting a new thread in the Hardware subforum instead of adding to an overlong thread.

Did you properly ground yourself when transferring the components to the new case?

P.S. I suggest starting a new thread and including the answer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor = no signal need help [ 13 Answers ]

Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem. OK first off... it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (I haven't found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")... I even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how I found this...

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search