Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 5, 2005, 10:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Weophyte
    i took out my CPU and on the processor chip, aboutg 8 of the gold pins were bent, 1 was broken off. If i rebend the ones that are still bent, would 1 pin being broken stop it from running?
    If not stop it completely, it would definitely not run well.

I suspect that your machine is not kept in a cool environment. Humidity is an enemy of electronics. That could explains why reseating the RAM and HD may have offered a temporary improvement.

Now, you probably need to replace at least the CPU.
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Sep 6, 2005, 05:24 AM
    C'mon folks... video card, cables/monitor works on a 2nd PC. I posted a question/suggestion in my reply posting (#3) almost 5 weeks ago. This suggestion has been REPOSTED 2 add'l times, by others...

If you don't understand the suggestion - ASK. If you do understand the suggestion - try & respond to the suggestion. If neither applies, take your PC into a shop & pay someone else to try it for you.

P2E
    Andrew1234 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2005, 07:25 AM
    No signal on monitor
    Hey Scott and StuMegu I have looked for the extra VGA port on the mother board but without any luck. My motherboard is ASUS P4C800 deluxe. I doubt there is any onboard video to disable however there is an option in bios which enabled can power on the video by setting it to standby,suspend, or shutdown. Since I haven't figured out how to enter bios, manipulating that option is meaningles.

I did some research about system failures on the website TomHardware.com and came to the conclusion that the power failure could have been the cause because of the symptoms being exhibited. So then I decided to buy and new power supply, Antec purepower 2, installed it, crossed my fingers and hope it will work, but to my dissapointment the montior displayed as it did before "no signal" on monitor.

PS: I AM STUCK, HELP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2005, 03:27 PM
    Do you have a digital camera? If so, take a picture of the back of your PC and attach it to a post here.
    bicestertown.co.uk Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2005, 04:36 PM
    Hello everybody
    Same problem here. In fact, even worse.
    I have a p4 Celeron 2 GHz, 512 mb ram, MS-6507 motherboard, 128 mb ati graphic card, 160 gb ide hdd, and a pci modem card.
    All new, except the motherboard.
    The problem in my case is that when I power up the system, I get lights on modem (pci), the fans (processor and graphic card) start spinning, power source is working, but I get no signal on my monitor. It doesn’t even say "no signal"
    I have notice that the keyboard lights doesn't flash at all.
    Floppy drive light goes on and remains on.
    It looks like I got no signal to peripherals. What do you think?
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 10, 2005, 01:36 AM
    If the floppy light stays on, you've got it connected the wrong way round. Remove the cable and test. If it works replace the cable on the floppy drive. The end with the twist in the cable goes at the floppy end!

Oct 10, 2005, 01:42 AM
    Thanks for your quick replay. I have done this before(you imagine, I have tried nearly everything). If the floppy cable is improperly connected I do not get any lights. What really concerns me is the fact that the motherboard doesn't beep at all.

Oct 11, 2005, 05:03 AM
    Just check that the internal speaker connection is still on properly.

The basic test of a system is mobo, cpu (inc. fan) & memory. Remove everything else (not including the case connectors like power switch, speaker etc) and check again!

If that system beeps OK, add the other components until you've found your problem.

If it doesn't boot, one or more of those three components is at fault (or the Power supply of course). If possible, swap these components with known good ones and try again.

Oct 11, 2005, 03:45 PM
    Hi Stu,

This is exactly what I was looking for... Unfortunately the speaker doesn’t beep at all. At the beginning I have suspected that the internal speaker is not connected. In fact I have no idea where the internal speaker is (if this motherboard has an internal speaker somewhere - MS-6507 motherboard) I have always thought that the speaker that beeps is the case front speaker. In my case, that one is not connected as I couldn’t find where to connect it.
    This is the motherboard, (MS-6507 motherboard)
    This is the link to the motherboard:
    http://www.msi.com.tw/program/produc...ail.php?UID=37
    I have read the manual. It doesn’t say where that case speaker connector should be placed on the motherboard...

p.s. have we meet before (experts exchange)?

Oct 12, 2005, 01:33 AM
    Hi, don't think we've met, although experts exchange is a brilliant site, I haven't posted there.

I've had a look at the mobo manual and also can't see any reference to the speaker connection. Either this means it is inbuilt into the motherboard or the manual is rubbish.

Does anyone else know about the speaker connection for this motherboard?

Without the speaker option, I would find a known good graphics card and try again. With the floppy light staying on I would remove it completely whilst testing.

Remove the ram and check the slot, once I had a similar problem and someone found a small sliver of plastic in the ram slot preventing the connection working.

Oct 12, 2005, 02:59 AM
    You see... first I thought that my AGP card is not working. I have bought a PCI one to try it. Same result. I have removed aeverything except the proc and the rams.(mem's where tested before and they are fine - same with the processor). I have sent an email to MSI asking about that speaker connector 3 days ago. No reply so far...

Oct 12, 2005, 04:20 AM
    Hate to say it but it sounds like your mobo is dead:eek:

Could be the other components of course, the only way to know is test in other equipment!

Oct 12, 2005, 10:04 AM
    I see...
    One more question.
    How do you define the word "dead" when is about mobos?
    You see, this one still has the lights on... the pci cards get the signal(at least the fan is spining on the graphic card... the modem card has the lights on... I thought that dead is... umhh... you know... dead?
    (anyway, thank you very much for your help, Stu, you are a real gentleman)
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 12, 2005, 10:11 AM
    Just to chime in quickly: a "dead" motherboard could be the result of a failure in the chipset(s) that are onboard. The power light would come on but the basic I/o functions would be dead.

Oct 12, 2005, 10:26 AM
    Thanks Need,

It really could be anything on the mobo that has failed (I don't know enough about electronics to speculate) and the fact that this is the only "old" piece of equipment doesn't help. However it could also be the CPU is faulty, if the supplier is handy I would maybe ask them to check it out.

When I say dead, I just mean anything that can't be fixed with software, or jumpers etc.

Like I said, only real way to know for sure is to test in other equipment.
    slrkman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 14, 2005, 03:40 AM
    Same Problem: No signal on Monitor
    Hi,

I am also facing the same situation. My Computer is Acer 400MHz with 196 memory and has a CDWriter and a internal modem on PSI.
    It worked well for more than 2,3 years without any problem and for 2,3 weeks I was out of my home and couldn't switch on that. After that time I switched on it and these was no signal on monitor. It doesn't say that 'no signal' on monitor.

I can hear the familiar sound of the CPU and fan is working inside fine. Then I removed the memory and reattached it. Then once System boot up. But when I was working there was a message saying an error and System restarted. ( I have Win98 Second edition )

Now the Initial Screen comes. ( The Screen with brand name ACER, and there is 'Press Ctrl+Alt+Esc to enter setup' message. When I Try to enter setup with these keys, it doesn't go to setup. The screen with the brand name remains as long as I keep the power on)

Now sometimes I can boot the machine. But after some time the error comes or a blue screen comes and it restarts. Sometimes there is no signal on monitor. Sometimes, the screen with the brand name comes and remains forever.

I am a software person, without much of (any) knowledge of hardware.

Please help.
    :mad:

Oct 14, 2005, 11:50 AM
    I would suspect the RAM in this case, but as stated before, it can be any of the components, CPU, Motherboard or RAM.

Consider looking for an upgrade to the bios for the motherboard and running a memory testing program such as the one offered by microsoft:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Good Luck.

Oct 16, 2005, 06:42 PM
    slrkman, try to change the battery. Should fix it.
    slrkman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2005, 02:44 AM
    Thanks
    Thanks a lot StuMegu and bicestertown.co.uk,

I don't know where the battery is. I can check for RAM by removing them and attaching them in another computer. Is there any way to check all those components like CPU and motherboard. (If you know a web site containing those details)

Thanks againg for your kind reply.

slrkman

Oct 18, 2005, 12:05 PM
    I'm still looking for a good CPU and Motherboard tester, I've tried some but nothing has really struck me as good. You can get hardware testers that plug in to the PCI slot and perform tests! Maybe this is the best way to go for someone testing regularly but no good for one off's.

The only other way I know is to find another motherboard or cpu that matches the faulty set and swap till you drop!

Does anyone else have any good mobo/cpu testing programs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Monitor = no signal need help [ 13 Answers ]

Prepare for a possibly long detailed description of my problem. OK first off... it seems there's lots of people with this problem but not many solutions (I haven't found anyone that's said "thanks it works now")... I even googled stuff like "no signal from monitor" (which is how I found this...

Monitor no signal [ 11 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a graphics card that doesn't work for my PC,as in there are no beebs,and the monitor stays blank when I turn it on with an amber light, I have a ic7-g motherboard and the graphics card ati radeon 9800 pro doesn't work for my mobo and I dunt know why(it should work,other people...

No Signal to the Monitor [ 1 Answers ]

Our computer decided to take a breakdown, and there is no signal to the monitor we tried another monitor and still nothing the computer lights up the cd drive light flickers, the mother board light is on and the fan works, however when we swapped swapped the hard drive into another computer that...

No Monitor Signal [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I recently tried to install a Radeon 9550 256mb AGP, on a compaq. Being the idiot I am I did not uninstall the on-board video first, I inserted the videocard and now I get no signal to the monitor, I have tried removing the Radeon and using the onboard video again, but still no picture. All...

No signal to monitor [ 8 Answers ]

OK like a week ago I unhooked my computer then just awhile ago I rehooked it back up and like the computer starts up and everything its just there is no signal to my moniter and the cd rom drive doesn't open or close and I also can't power the computer down by the power button ihave to turn it off...

View more questions Search