Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    misspat507 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2005, 01:21 PM
    Paying Off A Spouses Credit Debts
    I would like to know something about paying off debts that a spouse made that one didn't know about and did not sign for her to get. The spouse died and the creditors are trying to make me pay for the debts that she made before she died that I didn't find out about until after her death. I would like to know if someone can give me some information about this matter. I reside in California.
    GoldSawdust Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2005, 02:30 PM
    Gov wanted money from me also
    I live in Canada so laws are different. When my husband died he owed money on his income tax. They called me and asked for the money. I simply replied "Are you asking or demending the money?" they replied we are asking.
    I told them not to ask me again. End of story. :D
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Sep 27, 2005, 02:59 PM
    Debt
    Some credit companies offer help in cases where insurance has not covered the expenses or insurance was not obtained... some companies upon proof of death will write-off the balance... others will settle on a equitable amount.

If possible, check the policy, the Contract Agreement as to the specifics noted; many if you write them and provide hardship information as well as proof of death will work with you; however, be aware of those creditors that play initial hardball... some do so to discourage your position; however, if you remain steady in your stance... they will do what they should have done from the start... not all are like that... some do so because this is their way of protecting comm..
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 28, 2005, 07:35 PM
    If you were not a cosigner on the account(s) against which the debts occurred, then you should not be responsible for them and the debts should die with the spouse. If, on the other hand, you were a cosigner then you bear full responsibility for repayment. Also, if any of the debts in question were secured by any of your spouse's property or any jointly-owned property, then the liens are still valid and subject to foreclosure if the debts are not satisfied. Consult with an attorney for full information. If you don't know one, than contact the Lawyer Referral Service for your county of residence.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to add spouses name to deed on house... [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know how to go about adding my name to the deed of our house. Who would I see... realtor, title company... and what forms do we need to fill out?

When Paying Off Credit Card.. [ 6 Answers ]

Can I bargain when paying off credit card w/out damaging my credit? I currently hold a balance of $5000 each on two separate cards. $2000 each of which is actually purchase fees, the rest is accrued interest. Can I bargain with the cardholders to pay a lower amount without hurting my credit? Any...

Old Debts [ 5 Answers ]

I was just notified by a collector regarding a debt I incurred in 1996.I have not received any prior notice.This was an Emergency Room bill. I do not keep records past 8 years. I have no idea of what if anything I truly owe or paid. Can they come after me after 10 years ?I am in Texas. Susan

Credit Card Debts / Charged offs [ 1 Answers ]

I have 3 credit cards which two of them already reported to CRA my account as R9 ( Charged off ). I was told by so many people that credit card companies after 180 - or 210 days after first delinquency they charge off the account. And turn the account usually to collection firms. I have contacted...

Workplace Spouses [ 2 Answers ]

I am a journalist working on a story about the phenomenon of "workplace spouses" a reference to the intense personal and empotional bonds--not sexual--that can form between mena and women who work very closely together for very long hours. I have been told by HR experts that these relationships can...

View more questions Search