Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MEK Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 01:15 PM
    Bankruptcy & Credit
    This is my first time on your site and I am fasinated with the questions and answers too.

My question is " I am soon going to court for a judgment hearing on a credit cardi in the state of MD. My entire income is Social Security. If this money is in the bank can it be touched and if so how. I heard that once it is in the account it is just money. Can any one answer this question?

MEK
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 28, 2007, 03:20 PM
    They can not garnish your check. But they can freeze your bank account.
    So as long as you don't deposit your check into the bank you should be OK
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 28, 2007, 03:38 PM
    While they can garnish your account, if you can prove all the funds are from SS they can't touch it. I would contact your bank and have them put a notation on your account that the only funds in it are your SS checks.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2007, 03:52 PM
    Inform the judge, at the start of the hearing and show that all money in this acccount is from SSI payments. Then give him a copy of the following.

For your information about Social Security Benefits

Safe from Garnishment

Federal law makes Social Security benefits exempt from levy, garnishment, and assignment- 42 USC 407(a) states. "In general the right of any future payments under this sub chapter SHALL NOT be Transferable or assignable. AND NONE of the moneys paid or payable or rights existing under this subchapter shall be subject to execution, levey, attachment, garnishment, or other legal process, or to the operation of any bankruptcy or insolvency law".

This means that even if a creditor or debt attorney, collection agency has a judgement against you they CAN NOT garnish your SS payments nor can they take the money from you after it has been paid to you; for example, the portion of your bank account that is attributable to your SS benefits is EXEMPT from LEVY OR ATTACHMENT

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bankruptcy off your credit report [ 2 Answers ]

This is a wonderful site. I was reading another persons question regarding removing bankruptcy off your record takes about ten years. I am curious if bankruptcy is taken off your record after ten years are you obligated to report that you have had a bankruptcy after it is taken out your record? I...

Bankruptcy removal from credit [ 1 Answers ]

How can I remove my bankruptcy from my credit of over 7 years ago?

Helpful Information about Bankruptcy, Debt & Credit Bureaus [ 5 Answers ]

Below is some helpful information from our Bankruptcy & Debt Expert. Of course, you're also welcome and encouraged to post questions to this board for more information: Just click the "Ask about Bankruptcy & Debt" button at the top of the page.

View more questions Search