Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lynne777 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 01:06 AM
    New 7 week old puppy
    Hello, My name is Lynne. I am brand new to this site as of tonight. My question is... I just bought a 7 week old baby Chihuahua today and I was sent home with a small bottle of Albon for a possible case of Coccida in her. The breeder I bought her from said she "may" have it, but wasn't sure. I have never heard of this type of illness in a puppy before and I have had a few of them. I am pretty nervous about letting her play with my 2 1/2 year old 2 pound Chihuahua because I don't know if she can catch this. If anybody knows anything regarding this illness please help me to know more about it, and can humans catch this? I appreciate any and all answers.
    Thanks,
    Lynne
    slblelb Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 01:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lynne777
    Hello, My name is Lynne. I am brand new to this site as of tonight. My question is...I just bought a 7 week old baby Chihuahua today and I was sent home with a small bottle of Albon for a possible case of Coccida in her. The breeder I bought her from said she "may" have it, but wasn't sure. I have never heard of this type of illness in a puppy before and I have had a few of them. I am pretty nervous about letting her play with my 2 1/2 year old 2 pound Chihuahua because I don't know if she can catch this. If anybody knows anything regarding this illness please help me to know more about it, and can humans catch this? I appreciate any and all answers.
    Thanks,
    Lynne
    A trip to the vet is your best bet!
    Becca74 Posts: 32, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2007, 01:23 AM
    yeah I agree the vet knows best and would tell you all the right answers! well good luck with you and your new puppy!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 06:26 AM
    Welcome to the dog forum. Coccidiosis is fairly common in young puppies. With treatment it goes away fairly quickly. Yes, the older dog can pick it up. Keep it away from the puppies stools. Clean them up promptly and dispose of them. Since it causes them to be soft, that makes it harder until the medicine takes effect. There is little danger to people.

Most new puppies need to see the vet soon to continue their shot program. Have any records you have in front of you when you call the vet to help determine how soon.

For help with routine new puppy care, see the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

3 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 3 week old puppy no mother I am bottle feeding. It is have a hard time having a bowel movement. He is on Esbilac, I ran out for a few days and mixed water and carnation canned milk he is now back on esbilac. What can I do?

4 week lab puppy [ 1 Answers ]

Our 4 week old lab puppy's nose is very dry, is this normal?

5 week old puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 week old german shepard black lab that will not eat or walk (only unless it has to). What should I do?

3 week old puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hey, I just received a 3 week old German Sheppard I bought from a lady a province away. I am not familiar with young pups, so I'm hoping you can help me... He sleeps all the time, has diarreah, and whines a lot as he eats... Is this due to his age or is he showing signs of sickness? I want to take...

My 5 week year old puppy! Help me out! [ 8 Answers ]

I just got a 5 week year old puppy. She is a dalmatian cross with some other breeds, she is way small. And I need to know if it is normal for puppies this small (runt) to walk weird, like she will start walking then fall over. And try again and fall. She also hasn't drank water but she eats like...

View more questions Search