Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jspencer2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 27, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Poor and discriminatory service at restaurant
    I visited an Elephant Bar in Fremont, CA Friday 7/27/07 at 5:28 p.m. I asked the greeter for a private seat where I could sit and have a drink and something to eat while waiting for tire work to be done at a nearby shop. She was very kind and instructed a lady to seat me. The seater was very pleasant. She left me with 2 menus. There were 4 tables. My table, a table in front of me with a couple seated and 2 empty tables. I sat there for 20 minutes and was never even offered a glass of water. There was a waitress on duty that looked my way twice, really quickly. I sat there in shock and watched her take drink orders and food orders for all three other tables that had filled by now. Finally I got up with my business card which had my cell number written on the back, in hand and went back to the greeter and explained that I had never even been offered a glass of water. I had to leave because the tire shop was closing soon. I asked that the manager call me. The greeter apologized and gave me the manager's business card. The manager never called.

I am a 54 year old African American female. None of the other patrons that this waitress recognized were. Do I have cause for a law suit?
    slblelb Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2007, 12:11 AM
    Ahh! Don't Take offense as a racial issue, Maybe your grace, beauty, and proffesionalism was intimidating to them. How much education does it take to wait tables. Yes it was rude! But look at you, an educated black woman with enough time and money to request a private seat while waiting to get tire work done, being waited on by a bunch of redneck wannabe actors, (or models, unsuccessful no doubt!). I'm a white woman from Kentucky, not poor, not rich, But have the same issues here. I just shrug it off and pray for the silly saps who are too wrapped in their own since of jealousy of what we special have, PRIDE! Be proud sister and walk on. Those who waited (tables) will still be waiting while you're zooming on! ( in your hot car of course)!
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2007, 05:53 AM
    It was rude, it was very poor customer service, the manager should have called you to apoligize, and you deserved better treatment. Does that warrant a law suit? Is that worth your time? Generally the first consultation with an attorney is free and then you will have a good idea if this is a viable case.

I personally think there is a lawsuit for every reason and an attorney to chase that reason. I wouldn't pursue this legally but you feel very strongly that race is the critical issue of not being served. Talk to an attorney and go from there. Also make sure everyone you know hears about what happened to you in the Elephant Bar.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 1, 2007, 11:59 AM
    I said to talk to an attorney and then make your decision based on the consultation. Just because I would not sue does not mean you should not consider it.
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Aug 2, 2007, 11:26 AM
    That was a little harsh. This is a public board and you're asking for opinions, so not liking what someone has to contribute doesn't make it wrong or juvenille. Personally, I think consulting a lawyer is sound advice.

I'm sorry you were treated poorly and there is no excuse for it. Have you called the manager yourself? I would, as well as the BBB to report your experience. I've had similar experiences with lack of service. In the many times I've had this happen, I didn't assume it was due to my race or sex, rather that they were understaffed or just plain bad at waitressing. Honestly, my first impression of what you wrote is that it would be hard to prove the way they treated you was due to race. Did you hear something innapropriate or see them react in some way that left you sure of what caused her to ignore you?

I'm not trying to defend it by any means. Bad service is bad service; I'd just like to point out some other possibilities rather than think someone looked at you negatively because of your race.
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 2, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Had I been in your shoes, I would have been livid, but you handled the situation gracefully. I would follow up by calling the manager. If the manager is somehow unavailable or remains dodgy, I would go back there with a friend just to see if it happens again. If it does, then you'd have a witness, and you can also refuse to leave until you see the manager. If it does not, then it's surely due to rotten service (or shall I say non-service) of the previous waitress.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 11:55 AM
    You said that they gave you two menus... could they have maybe been waiting for another person to join you. I agree it was rue for them to not even ask or offer water, but I try to see things from the other side as well. I think you handles the situation well, and while I don't really think you have a lawsuit on your hands, I do think you were owed a sincere apology.

I loved the first poster's response! Well done!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 2, 2007, 12:33 PM
    First may I call your attention to the guidelines on using the Coments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Your giving shy a negative comment here was totally uncalled for. The advice was, if you want to pursue it ask an attorney for advice. That was indeed helpful and correct. Your comment was rude and demeaning. It makes me wonder if there was more to your story then you are relating.

Were you discriminated against? If your story is accurate, it might appear so. Do you have a lawsuit? What damages did you suffer other than your dignity? What I would do is forget the idea of cashing in, but do report it whatever state authority licenses bars.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2007, 01:08 PM
    I have been a waitress since I was 16... and just to add, that does not mean I am "uneducated" or "unsucessful", waitressing is a job that allows for a very flexible schedule, and has me walking out every night with cash, and puts me through school. The vast majority of waiters/waitresses are students.

Anyway, I thought I could shed some light because I have seen this happen many times. First and foremost, if the host/hostess sat you with 2 menus that would absolutely make the server think you were waiting on someone to join you. There was no reason, however, that you should not have been offered something to drink while you waited (if the server thought you were waiting on someone). I always greet every table, offer something to drink, and go from there. Another possibility that I have seen is many servers do not perfer to wait on a table of one. Servers make WAY below mininum wage, the last time I waitress I was making $2.13/hr... so servers live on their tips... and many servers see a one-person table as a low tip. I know these reasons do not excuse what happened, obviously the server was not one of the best.

If I had to bet, I would say the server saw the 2 menus, assumed you were waiting on someone to join you, and would rather wait until that person got there to take any order, instead of running back and forth for you, and then back and forth when the other person joined (which may have been the reason she/he avoided eye contact so you couldn't wave them over).

For any reason, it was absolutely poor service, and I'm sure the manager would agree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for restaurant investors. [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I have started a limited-service restaurant and we're currently looking for investors, but it's been hard. I don't want to pay a few grand to go in front of some angel capitalists. Any suggestions?

Restaurant job [ 1 Answers ]

Im a teen looking for a part time job... and I'm planning on working at a restaurantbut I have no work experience. I have my resume done and all but I have no idea how to apply fofr the job? Like who should I ask? What do I say? :o haha and what should I wear to an interview? If I do get one

Hurt in a Restaurant [ 6 Answers ]

Last Sunday I had dinner in a rather expensive restaurant. We had some of their very crusty bread, and I had finally one end piece of the bread and while biting into it I felt a sharp pain that went away shortly thereafter. The next morning I had really bad pain in my mouth and went to the...

Renaming a family restaurant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a restaurant client who has had their family restaurant name for 31 years. It was changed slightly from decade to decade; however, their last name has always been in it. They are unfortunately known as the "place where old people eat". Even though their following is largely older adults from...

Restaurant Name [ 3 Answers ]

I'm about to open a take-out/delivery type of steakhouse and I've come up with the name Bully's. And have a bull as the logo that looks like a bully. But someone told me that that sends the wrong message,can anyone please help. I would really appreciate as many replies to this as possible as like a...

View more questions Search