Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alwayslost Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 09:41 PM
    Can I raise my tub?
    I am replacing my basement shower with a tub. I have no idea though if I could just use the same drain and not raise the tub or not. So just in case, can I raise my tub, or would I have to put a 14" x 14" dap-thingy in for different drain piping?

Appreciate any response,
    Paul
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 30, 2005, 05:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslost
    I am replacing my basement shower with a tub. I have no idea though if I could just use the same drain and not raise the tub or not. So just in case, can I raise my tub, or would I have to put a 14" x 14" dap-thingy in for different drain piping?

Appreciate any response,
    Paul
    Good morning Paul,

if you remove the shower base and drain you will be left with a 2" stub-up raising up out of the cement. If this is the new location that you would like the new tub to set at you may connect the tub waste and overflow directly to the existing stub-up and be trapped and vented. Since the tubs drain hookup extends a bit below the floor level, (hence, the "14 X14 dap-thingy") you might have to chip out some cement from around the stub-up if you wish the tub to set directly on the floor,( this is how I would approach it) or you could "platform" the tub. The average tub drain rough in is 1 1/2" in from the front wall plate and 15 1/2" off the wall. Good luck Tom

Hey Paul, Today you asked,"
    Quote Originally Posted by Alwayslost
    I was told I could platform my tub in my basement, how do I do that, and what is it anyway?
    Just wondering, appreciate any responses
    Thanks
    Paul
    I thought I had answered this in yesterdays post but perhaps I didn't make it clear. My apologies! Platforming a tub is the same as raising it. You build a wooden platform to set the tub on and the drainage will install under the tub between the platform and the cement floor. This would save tearing up the cement floor but you would have to build the platform all the way over to the stack you're connecting it to to cover the drainage pipes. However, since you already have a stub-up that's trapped and vented I fail to see why the subject of platforming even comes up. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Promised a pay raise [ 13 Answers ]

So I have been working for this company for 8 months. 4 months ago I was stopped by the boss and told that they were really impressed; so they were giving me a payrise. Uping me by £2000 extra a year ontop of my already fixed annual salary. I was so excited and knew with this payrise I could...

Raise the flange? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm having trouble deciding if I should raise my flange or not. I have just replaced my subfloor (due to leaking toilet) and I have now installed tile raising my floor approx 3/4 of an inch. The reason the toilet leaked in the first place is because the flange was too high and someone did not...

View more questions Search