Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sistersister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 09:09 PM
    Return Air Duct
    I rent a townhome. It has 2 air conditioning units. I don't know what brand they are. The upstairs does not cool very well. It is always warmer than downstairs.

The return air unit is in the storage closed downstairs. There are 2 return air ducts. The one downstairs was covered up behind the grate with cardboard. The maintenance man said that this duct serves no function. It should be covered up. When I took the cardboard off it pulls air out. He said the return air duct is in the storage closet. This does not make sense to me. What is your advise on this?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2005, 05:56 AM
    Since the lower unit is working fine, perhaps the maintenance man is right. Both units need to freely circulate air. You need a path for air to flow from the upstairs unit through the upstairs and back to the unit. Usually the A/C uses the same ducts as forced air heat. If you can't see how air flows to the upstairs and back, ask the maintenance man. An A/C unit needs air freely flowing to it. An intake in a closed storage room will not work. If you haven't, check the other grates for cardboard.

Whether you rent or purchased the townhouse, you are entitled to a working A/C.
    sistersister Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 30, 2005, 09:55 AM
    Return air vents
    Thanks labman. Is it necessay for each outside unit to have 1 retun air vent each in the house? My understanding is that neither of these return air vents should have anything blocking them, correct?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2005, 05:31 PM
    In general, vents should never be blocked. In some cases, you might block one vent to give better cooling elsewhere on th esame system.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Cold return air duct [ 2 Answers ]

Because the egress windows from the basement will not be large enough for the fresh air requirement, I have to install a ventilation return duct from outside. How do I go about doing this? My local Lowe's only appeared to have exhausts, but no intakes. It also needs to be 6", so I can't modify a...

Flexi Duct vrs Aluminum Duct [ 4 Answers ]

I am adding an addition onto my house. The local building inspector has already told me my HVAC unit is more than adequate in size to support the addition. The old duct vents are aluminum. Can or should I use flexi venting in the new part? What are the pros and cons of these two types of vent...

Loud Return Air Duct [ 1 Answers ]

I have a forced hot air furnace, installed in September 2002, located in the basement. The blower motor is belt driven, single speed. While the blower is running it you can hear it all over the house. The return air grill is located out side of a bedroom and during the night when the blower comes...

Return vent/duct [ 4 Answers ]

I have a few questions regarding my cold house. I have 2 very large what I was told are returns in the floor in different rooms. One is connected by duct work to the furnace. The other is just open and I can see right into the basement through the grate. Do I need to leave the "open" one...

View more questions Search