Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHERRI1130 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2005, 05:39 PM
    Earth and Mars
    If Earth were about the mass of Mars, but remained in the same orbitit is in today, what would the Earth be like today? :confused:
    tjr Posts: 70, Reputation: 2

Jul 30, 2005, 08:45 AM
    I'm not sure if this will answer your question but I believe that there would still be life on earth. Mars is colder than earth for two reasons ,distance from the Sun and it's thin atmosphere.So if the Earth were the size of Mars it would be warmer because of distance,also I believe that we would develop a thicker atmosphere than Mars because our water would not be locked in the
    Permafrost like Mars's water is, thus gas producing algea and other chemical combinations could thrive.Hope this helps
    Thad Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2006, 10:26 PM
    Since Mars does not have as much mass as the Earth, Mars would probably not have enough gravity to retain a very thick atmosphere. So, if Mars was in Earth's orbit, over time Mars would lose all its air and water to space leaving it a very dry and desolete place.

Earth is just the right size and mass to keep its water and air. This envelop of air we live in is very thin in relation to the size of the planet.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Mar 22, 2006, 07:54 PM
    Here's my two cents on the subject. : )

Since Mars has only one-tenth Earth's mass, we would face the health hazards
    Of low gravity, such as bone loss. Muscular coordination under this gravity would
    Have to be relearned.

Assuming the same Moon/Earth gravitational relationship, the tides would be larger
    Since Earth would now counter the moon's tug on our oceans with only one-tenth
    The strength. This would cause areas previously habitable to be abandoned.
    Perhaps measures would have to be taken to hold back the high
    Tides in some densely populated areas. I see the same inundation scenario
    As global warming but happening quickly and on a daily basis.

A smaller less dense core would weaken Earth's magnetic field. This would
    Allow cosmic rays or the effects of solar flares to damage life.

Migrating wildlife which uses the magnetic field for navigation would be thrown
    Into confusion and would have to adjust or perish.

Being less dense, Earth would need to orbit the sun at a faster velocity.
    Otherwise the sun would swallow it whole.

Also, Earth would need a less dense moon for it to stay at the present distance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus, or are they? [ 18 Answers ]

Is it just me or are men and women really more similar than we all think they are. I mean yeah, that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" was really popular and was a best seller but I tend to disagree with some of what it has to say. Just from reading a lot of the posts that are in the...

Alone On Mars? [ 17 Answers ]

How much would you have to be paid in order to spend one year alone on Mars?

Mars [ 6 Answers ]

Google, in it's continuing attempt to map the known universe, has given us Google Mars. http://www.google.com/mars Anyone been to, or seen a picture of, America's Grand Canyon? At 500 miles long, up to 20 miles across and over a mile deep, it is quite impressive! Compare it to the Grand...

Age of the Earth... [ 2 Answers ]

Explain the evidence for the age of Earth and why the oldest expected rocks will probably never be found.

View more questions Search