Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Calling J_9 information needed.
    Is there any benefits to the eating of injesting eatible seaweed or kelp??

Balancing PH, minerals, etc.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 07:51 AM
    I'm searching for you and have found this so far

Super-low in calories and fat, seaweed's high in calcium (for strong bones), iodine (for a healthy thyroid), Omega-3s and soluble fiber (to lower bad cholesterol)
    And

Edible seaweed is a marine algae that can come in many forms, including the type that you mention, kombu, as well as the commonly eaten wakame and nori seaweeds. Although long part of the Asian diet, edible seaweed has increasingly become a part of Western diets due to its well-documented nutritional and often discussed medicinal qualities.

In comparison to information on seaweed's benefits, there is little information about the possible negative effects of eating seaweed. A couple of years ago, several governments, including the Canadian and British governments, issued warnings advising people to not eat one type of seaweed – hijiki – because of concern over its high levels of inorganic arsenic, a toxic element that has been linked to cancer. Since little was (and still is) known about the specific risks of arsenic in hijiki, hijiki was not banned. The warnings, which were intended to give the consumers a choice, stated that eating hijiki every now and then was probably not dangerous. Importantly, the warnings applied only to hijiki and not to other more commonly eaten seaweeds, including arame, nori, kombu, and wakame, which were found to be free of arsenic.

Based on these and other concerns, several scientific studies have been performed to measure the amount of arsenic and other heavy metals present in seaweed. Results from these studies show that metal contamination of seaweed depends on three major factors, including where the seaweed was harvested, the type of seaweed, and the specific metal. For example, in a small Canadian study (Van Netten et al. Science of the Total Environment, 2000), seaweed grown in waters near British Columbia, Canada generally had lower amounts of heavy metals, especially of mercury, than seaweeds grown in Japan and Norway, possibly due to lower amounts of these metals in British Columbia waters. All seaweed samples – even those grown in Japan and Norway – however, had metal levels that are generally thought of as safe to eat.

What this means for you and your family is that you can continue to enjoy your seaweed salads, soups, and sushi (although given the governmental warnings I would probably stay away from hijiki). Given seaweed's many nutritional benefits and relatively low pollutant levels, seaweed is probably not only a safe food but also one that is good for your health.
    There are some scholarly articles here benefits of eating seaweed or kelp - Google Scholar

I see that it may be good for us, however, I am concerned about the long term affects that have not yet been studied. Such as some of the heavy metals that we can get from eating certain seafood.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 08:09 AM
    Would adjusting the PH in us help reduce problems?

Thank you for what you have sofar.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 27, 2007, 09:02 AM
    The pH is a delicate balance and should be adjusted differently for different problems. If you don't feel comfortable discussing this here, you know where to find me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What information is needed to calculate "Retained Earning"? [ 3 Answers ]

PROBLEM: During 2006, Edgemont Corporation had revenues of $230,000 and expenses, including income taxes, of $190,000. On December 31, 2005, Edgemont had assets of $350,000, liabilities of $80,000, and capital stock of $210,000. Edgemont paid a cash dividend of $25,000 in 2006. No additional stock...

Some information needed. [ 6 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of index. You stuff enveloped at home and make a lot of money. And I mean A LOT of money. It just sounds too good to be true and I was wondering if anyone has heard of it and has tried it. I'm looking to bring in a little extra money each month to be able to pay for...

What information is needed for a reading? [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to get a reading and just need to know what exactly a psychic or fortune teller would need. Thanks

View more questions Search