Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 10:52 PM
    Cooking without an oven
    Your oven has died, but you have four burners on the stovetop and a microwave oven. What meat dish would you cook and how?
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:55 PM
    Fried chicken baby! I'd soak the chicken overnight in buttermilk, dip it in seasoned flour, and plop it in a cast iron filled a little less than half way with peanut oil. Yummers!
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jul 26, 2007, 10:58 PM
    Roasts can be boiled, chicken can be cooked in a pot with liquid or soup or beer. Um... stews are good too. Steaks can be cooked in a frying pan on low heat or boiled. Get a toaster oven. You can also get a little countertop convection oven. Ovens are nice but I've lived without one for about 3 years now. One of these days that will change though lol.
    If you want recipes let me know. Chicken is tasty when cooked for a long time in a pot with mushroom soup covering it. Simple and tasty. Use another pot for some rice and you have chicken and sauce ready to go.
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 10:59 PM
    Country Fried Steak - sprinkle with salt and pepper, coat in flour, and fry!
    Pinto Beans - in the crock pot with some bacon
    Mashed Potatoes - Most people know how to make mashed taters.. lol
    Country Gravy - use drippings from the steak and add 4 tbs. flour, 2 c. milk, and salt and pepper
    Cole Slaw - no directions needed, I don't think.. lol
    And some Fried Apples - 1/4 lb. butter, 1/2 c. sugar, 8 Golden Delicious apples, cut up, unpeeled - add everything to a covered frying pan, cook for 15 minutes, add cinnamon and nutmeg to taste. Some people like them over ice cream :)

Oh crud I forgot to put how... lol OK I'll fix it...
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 11:06 PM
    Wondergirl agrees: Dredge the steak in seasoned flour and fry in a little oil? Last time I had that was in a little café near Butte, Montana.
    This meal is awesome! I love country fried steak with country gravy!
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 01:05 AM
    Welcome to my club hunny ;) I've just had the kitchen done no oven for 7 days its was um how can I put it annoying to say the least but get that bbq warmed up and enjoy cooking outside ;)
    After all you can cook everything from your veg to the meat on it. Hugs hope it gets sorted soon.
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 01:52 AM
    Hehehehehe gazeebos are wonderful things ;)
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jul 30, 2007, 06:02 AM
    Walgreens sells toaster ovens for $9.99,if you really miss your oven.These also keep your house from heating up so much,the temp is 93 in my city with 100% humidity.Fried bacon ,sausage,and pork chops are good also.At least you still have a stove top,we have been without everything after a hurricane for more than a month.Happy cooking.:)
    jans1812 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 03:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl
    Your oven has died, but you have four burners on the stovetop and a microwave oven. What meat dish would you cook and how?
    Try a stove-top pot roast. Cook covered on very low heat, in as heavy a pot/pan as you own (such as cast iron).

But my favorite oven alternative is the new-style pressure cookers! They come with a recipe book.

Good luck!
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 2, 2007, 03:27 PM
    I'd make stir fry chicken with veggies and rice. Fast and easy.
    xd3ni3x Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
    Its easy like pancakes!
    preciousavila Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2013, 09:16 PM
    How can I bake cookies without an oven?? please help me
    aliseaodo Posts: 1,671, Reputation: 259
    Movie Expert

Jan 30, 2013, 12:03 PM
    Precious, there's all kinds of no bake cookies. Here's a link to some recipes:
    Top Ten No-Bake Cookie Recipes
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
    A heavy pot with a tight lid over low heat is just as good as an oven. I've even made pot roast and beef stew on a burner, many times. Most times, in fact.
    I rarely have wine in the house for stews so I use beer and tomato juice and Worcestershire and anything else that I can throw in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Principles of cooking [ 11 Answers ]

I want to start cooking (I will use a microwave). I will follow recipites but I also want to know why things happen, e.g.. What function does fat have in cooking (not talking about fat as the heating medium), what function does sugar have or eggs. Where do I find not just how to make a tasty dish...

Diabetic cooking [ 1 Answers ]

I recently found out that I am a diabetic and am trying to cook healthy meals. Does anyone have any recipies for good vegetable dishes. I am trying not to use starchy vegetables. My Doctor said vegetables were free for me to eat so I can have more of them if they are not the starchy kind! Yumm...

Help withamerican cooking [ 7 Answers ]

I am a desperate ex pat.. now living in Florida and I have always used my british bero recipe book in England and always had great results. Now after living in the states for a year and a half , NONE of my cakes rise and my yorkshire puddings are a disaster. Is the flour different here... is the...

Cooking a turkey [ 2 Answers ]

How long do you cook a turkey? So many minutes per pound??

Cooking with wine [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, Does anyone know why when cooking with wine my sauce comes out bitter. Is it because I didn't cook long enough? David

View more questions Search