Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimberly66 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Jul 26, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Will I Go To Hell?
    I am in an abusive marriage with a Christian... I plan to leave and divorce soon... will I be doomed for a divorce?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:32 PM
    God would not want you to stay in a marriage where a man abuses you. In my opinion God is a loving and forgiving God who wants nothing but happiness for his followers.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 12:33 PM
    I am almost positive that abuse is one of the very few acceptions to getting a divorce. So no, you're not going to be doomed. God wouldn't want you suffering:)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:34 PM
    god is all forgiving, it is not a sin to leave abuse.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:36 PM
    In fact your church may even be able to help you get out of this abusive situation. I know my church often did help financially as well as emotionally.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
    No you will not be doomed to hell for leaving a destructive, possibly deadly relationship. Your husband, I must say is NOT a Christian if he does these things to you and HE may be doomed to hell.

But not you dear.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Good lord... if your marriage is abusive, you need to get OUT of it.

Any god that would doom you to hell for getting yourself away from something evil is a horrible god not worthy of following, wouldn't you think?

No *good* god would condemn you for leaving an abusive marriage

Jul 26, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Thank you all- I've stayed for 3 1/2 years because of distorted religious views and opinions and brainwashing from my husband. Was just interested in what others believed.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 26, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Hun, this man is NOT a Christian if he lays one hand on you and don't you believe a word he says.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:50 PM
    He can abuse you mentally as well as physically. One can be as bad as the other. Never let ayone use the bible to make you put up with abuse. Please leave and start a new peaceful life. Good luck
    ss4gilpin Posts: 8, Reputation: -1

Jul 26, 2007, 03:06 PM
    Someone may call me sexist for this comment but in my opinion woman is more important then man for various reasons and my other advisor's are right you will not be damed to hell for saving yourself from an god would probable smile on you for proving that woman are not just mans tool
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Well since there is no such thing as hell that should not one of your worries. Take care of yourself and shrug off all the religion crap.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 03:18 PM
    Sweety, I wasn't replying to you, I was replying to the OP.
    Canada_Sweety Posts: 597, Reputation: 49
    -

Jul 26, 2007, 03:20 PM
    My apologies, but I still think the way you said that was pretty rude...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Just because you may divorce this man does not place you in Hell. Abuse is not allowed in the law and if your husband would read the New Testament, the Apostle Paul tells the man that he should love his wife as Christ loved the Church. Christ loved His Church so much that He died so that his Church would have the promise fulfilled of eternal life with Him. If you had a husband who treated you like that, you would not be abused. Read Ephesians, chapter 5.

When your husband is mistreating you, abusing you, he is violatingthe very laws of Christ he says he upholds. You do not have to be bound to him, he would be called an unbeliever. Please talk to your pastor about this. He may recommend counseling, which is what an attorney may even say needs to be done (depedning on your state laws). While you make an appointment to see your pastor, also make one with an attorney. If for no other reason, than to find out your rights and what you have to do.

You WILL NOT be doomed. Trust me. I have been down that road and struggled with those same questions, coming from a very fundamentalist church. There is life after a divorce and one much better too. The very best to you.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 04:13 PM
    Only if you don't learn from your experience.
    go-ask-mom Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jul 27, 2007, 03:35 AM
    Kimberly... an ABUSIVE man is no Christian.

I believe the Bible says that ABUSE is one thing that CAN be cause FOR divorce... it also says some other jibberish after that too... but I personally have a hard time believing it inerrantly, but that's just ME! :)

Decide what your own heart and mind tells you from the readings/teachings of the Bible... not just those interpretations of a Sunday stranger.

REJOICE! No hell for you! Lol! ;)
    cal823 Posts: 867, Reputation: 116

Jul 27, 2007, 03:40 AM
    You won't go to hell for divorce, even if it is a sin, which it probably isn't.
    God forgives all sins, so there you go :) isn't god good :)

Jul 27, 2007, 09:35 AM
    Wow- I've never even met any of you and I feel loved.. lol. Thak you all for your support!! God Bless Each and Everyone!
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 27, 2007, 07:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly66
    I am in an abusive marriage with a Christian..... I plan to leave and divorce soon... will I be doomed for a divorce?

Absolutely not. From my Jewish perspective, Moses gave permission for divorce based on abuse and no modern rabbi in his right mind would push to make a abusive relationship continue. IMO it's sounds like the man you married would like to use his extreme religious view as a psychological ploy in keeping you. If I'm wrong and this happens to be your own thinking concerning sticking out an abusive marriage, than get past it. If you have children think of them. I spent years making deliveries to centers for battered women and cringed every time I had to make those stops. Women with black eyes, busted noses, that were scarred emotionally, children frightened... it was not a pretty sight. Respect yourself because G-d wants you to be respected. You have a whole life ahead of you.

Bobby :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My place is hell! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a few questions to ask. I moved into an apartment with my boyfriend and when moving in there were things that I wanted fixed that I have yet to get fixed. The toilet sits crooked and overflows at the drop of a hat. I told the office ladies that I wanted to have a new toilet put in and I...

What the hell can I do ! [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys and ladis.. I know that so silly for what I ask for.. but any way I'll talk ;]. It's about Social relations , I feel like am afraid from all people around me.. stuck into my room.. Sorry about that, 2 post like the same question.. But for me no , really I feel scared when m going...

Sister from Hell [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was hoping to get some insight into my situation because I feel like maybe I don't have a grip on reality, at least that is what I'm being made to feel. I have only one sibling, an elder sister. The problem I am having is that she has moved back since things didn't work out for her...

Hell! [ 67 Answers ]

DOES HELL EXIST? The Bible speaks more of Hell than of Heaven. Jesus said it and that settles it! What think ye? Bobbye

Different degrees of hell [ 46 Answers ]

This question is for people who believe in hell, obviously. Are there different degrees of suffering in hell, or is it the same amount of suffering for everyone who goes there? Why I ask is because it seems rather unfair that everyone should face the same punishment. Take murder, for example. Say...

View more questions Search