Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 11:41 AM
    Time for a change, vote out all incumbents!
    Let start a movement to vote out all incumbents, since all they do is nothing for the people of this country.

Write a letter to the editor of your local paper about his movement to vote out all incumbents, it time for a change, so let your voice be heard send your letter and vote in 2008 against all incumbents, this will send a very clear message to the political players.

Timing is right to start this now.

VOTE OUT ALL IMCUMBENTS, TIME FOR A CHANGE!:)
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Not a bad thought at all. However there are some who I think merit being reelected . I am an advocate of term limits however . I used to be opposed to them because they were undemocratic . But now I think the power of incumbency is so great that it gives them an unfair advantage . Some of these guys like John Conyers have been in forever . I don't believe the founders envisioned a permanent political class in charge. I think they envisioned the citizen statesman who would serve for a limited time before they went back to the real world.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Here my letter to my local paper the Cecil Whig, in Maryland.

Thank you for your letter!

Please Print for Your Records.
    Name:
    Address:

Phone:
    Subject: VOTE OUT ALL IMCUMBENTS
    Letter: Let start a movement to vote out all incumbents, since all they do is nothing for the people of this country. Write a letter to the editor of your local paper about his movement to vote out all incumbents, it time for a change, so let your voice be heard send your letter and vote in 2008 against all incumbents, this will send a very clear message to the political players. Timing is right to start this now. So everyone start your campaign a let the political players know it time for a change, so either step up to the plate or you're out! VOTE OUT ALL IMCUMBENTS, TIME FOR A CHANGE!

Remember the movie Brewser's Million, None of the Above!!!!!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 12:55 PM
    What has Congress done for you?
    They are so wrapped up in power for power's sake that they have forgotten all about the people. Getting elected and holding office are the only driving forces behind most politicians. They promise better education. Where is it? They promise tax reform. Where is it? They promise a strong economy. Where is it? They promise help with the high cost of health care and prescription drugs. Where is it? They promise election reform. Where is it? They promise to end corruption. Where is it? They promise peace. Where is it? Washington is full of empty promises!

REPUBLICRATS!

This is not a Democrat or Republican problem!
    Members of the House and the Senate have ALL lost sight of the forest
    While they concentrate on the trees of greed, power, and influence!

While the House and Senate fiddle in Washington, George Bush, Cheney, Roberto Gonzalez, and Homeland Security are busy sowing seeds of dissension, fear, and hatred. Under the guise of new, rushed through laws following September 11, innocent citizens are being stalked, persecuted, and prosecuted. In Bush's eyes anyone who does not agree with him is a terrorist! "The Terrorists" hate us because the U.S. has been terrorizing them for decades. Rights are disappearing! The economy is in chaos. Millions are in prisons or jails.
    Corporate profits are raising as the levels of corruption and greed have risen to previously unknown heights. While CEOs build mansions, stockholders are being wiped out! Retirement accounts have gone drastically downward! Hard working citizens are being fired! Millions have no health care.

Washington refuses to end the disastrous Iraq War. Washington refuses to support the Global Warming Treaty! Washington refuses to support the treaty to ban the use of Land Mines! Washington refuses to stop being the largest arms merchant in the world! Washington wants to place nuclear arms in space, further endangering the world! Washington's view of a global economy is widening the gap between the haves and the have nots! The zealots in Washington have lost touch with reality! They don't give a damn about you or your needs!

There IS something you CAN do.
    We need to Clean the Entire House,
    But first, we need to Impeach the President AND the Vice President!

The President, the House, and the Senate have all sold out the Christian Right. They are totally beholding to Washington Lobbyists. A handful of people are attempting to control everything. Don't let them! For once make your vote count and send the Republicrats packing!

IF THE INCUMBENT HAS NO ONE RUNNING AGAINST THEM, WRITE IN "NONE OF THE ABOVE"!!
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 01:22 PM
    Not that it's a bad idea but it'll never work. Too many people seem to think everyone else's congressmen are the problem, not theirs. I also agree with tom that not all deserve the boot, and I'm all for term limits, too.
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2007, 01:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx
    Not that it's a bad idea but it'll never work. Too many people seem to think everyone else's congressmen are the problem, not theirs. I also agree with tom that not all deserve the boot, and I'm all for term limits, too.

You are most likely right, but starting a Vote out of incumbents campaign would send them a message to step up or your out!
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Jul 26, 2007, 02:32 PM
    So, your answer to how to create change in government is to get rid of anyone and everyone who has experience in running the government during a time of war, and replace them with people with absolutely no experience in running the government.

And this will help things... how?

Certainly there are members of government that deserve to be voted out of office. Members of BOTH parties fit the bill. But to say that your solution is to get rid of all of them at the same time and replace them with untested replacements? That seems like a bit of a stretch to me. It would create more problems than it solves, slow down economic growth, stop legislations in its tracks, keep things that need to be fixed now from being fixed because the new guys don't even have the experience to figure out what's broken, mush less how to fix it, and would jam up the ability of the government to actually govern.

Every four years or so, I read something simillar to this. "Get rid of the guys in office and replace them with someone else, cause it's all their fault." No, it's not. It's our fault for electing people that don't represent our interests in the first place, and we can fix the problem by voting for someone else when the time comes. But to say that we should get rid of EVERYONE all at once... even the ones who DO represent our interests... that's just insane. And it never has, nor will it ever happen. People are too smart to change the entire government leadership in one, single, chaotic felt swoop, especially with all the various crises that are currently going on in government at any one time. Especially when there's a war on.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    and replace them with people with absolutely no experience in running the government.
    Have you ever noticed that there are elections every so often and a large number of the elected officials are replaced. Of course when this happens and you get your people in then it's not a problem but if someone else mentions it then it's a problem I see.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Jul 26, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Start with :

Edward kennedy
    Arlen spector
    Any other suggestions?

Grace and Peace
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Jul 26, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Personally I'd love to see nationally televised presidential candidate debates between the two major parties and several independents. I think the exposure would be educational and perhaps for once bring an extra dimension beyond the same old stagnant promises. But with exception of Anderson and Perot the two major parties have done their financial best to ostracize any additional competition. It takes really big money to keep up a campaign and both the Republicans and Democrats use this to their advantage.

Bobby

Jul 27, 2007, 06:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Have you ever noticed that there are elections every so often and a large number of the elected officials are replaced. Of course when this happens and you get your people in then it's not a problem but if someone else mentions it then it's a problem I see.
    They don't usually all get voted out at once, Karma. A few get voted out, are replaced with new blood, and beome junior senators and congressmen, with more senior, more experienced ones leading the way. Then the juniors become seniors and lead the way for the next generation of new blood.

That's not what this post is talking about. Mr. Yet is calling for ALL INCUMBENTS (that means everyone currently in government) to be voted out of office. HUGE difference. Who would be the experienced leaders? Who would be the ones with the experience in managing the system, knowing and using the procedures, building coalitions of support for a particular idea, etc.

Elliot
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 06:08 AM
    I think it's a great idea... but only if accepting lobby money is banned at the same time - why is that even allowed in politics??

Jul 27, 2007, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM
    It takes really big money to keep up a campaign and both the Republicans and Democrats use this to their advantage.
    That is certainly true. So what is the alternative? If we can't beat them by creating a new party, I suggest that we the people take back the already existing parties from the leadership hacks who have hijacked them. And this means BOTH parties. Liberal rank-and-file should voe out any Democrats that they feel don't represent Democratic Party ideals and replace them with representatives who do represent those ideals, and conservative rank-and-file should vote out any Republicans who they feel don't represent Republican Party ideals and replace them with those who do.

Get rid of the RINOs and the DINOs, and replace them with people who really represent the views we hold dear.

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 06:21 AM
    Most of what happens is done the staff, the congressman or representative office, if you ask them exactly what they are to do, they don't know, they will refere to their staff. Go to an elected official asked them a question, they will refere to the staff for the answer.

Why do congressman and represnetative, spend million of dollars to get elected?

Answer: By just serving two terms in office they are guarantee a retire penison plan. Very short term of employment for this so called benefit at the taxpayers expense.

Jul 27, 2007, 06:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebox
    start with :

edward kennedy
    arlen spector
    any other suggestions?

Grace and Peace
    Richard Lugar
    John Murtha
    John Edwards
    John Kerry
    Richard Durbin
    Harry Reid
    Chuck Schumer
    John McCain
    Diane Feinstein
    Barbara Boxer
    Joe Biden
    Olympia Snowe
    Carl Levin
    Chuck Hagel
    Lindsey Graham
    Orrin Hatch
    Pat Leahy
    Robert Byrd (he's been in the Senate since 1959, for G-d's sake)
    Jay Rockefeller
    Thad Chochrane

Just for a start.

Jul 27, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    Most of what happens is done the staff, the congressman or representative office, if you ask them exactly what they are to do, they don't know, they will refere to their staff. Go to an elected official asked them a question, they will refere to the staff for the answer.
    But if the incumbent is voted out of office, his staff is out as well. The result is the same. Your response is a disagreement with no difference.

Why do congressman and represnetative, spend million of dollars to get elected?

Answer: By just serving two terms in office they are guarantee a retire penison plan. Very short term of employment for this so called benefit at the taxpayers expense.
    That's part of the reason, certainly. They spend that kind of money because it's not their money, it's the money of their donors and the tax payers (if they are receiving matching funds from the government).

They spend that kind of money because with a win comes power and political influence.

They spend that kind of money because after they retire or are voted out of office, they can make millions selling books nobody reads, making speeches nobody listens to, and lobbying for causes nobody agrees with.

They spend that kind of money because they are mostly ego-driven narcicists with inferiority complexes... and I speak as a fellow member of that club. Takes one to know one, I guess.

And I'm sure that there are plenty more reasons where those came from.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2007, 07:22 AM
    The corporate machine would quickly fill the vacuum with more people willing to listen to their cash.

The real issue is apathy of the people. Writing a letter is a nice start, even if its mostly a token gesture. And even if we were to clean out the rag tags, the problem is our attention span. We demand little. We get what we put into it.

We have to manage our politicians like my three year old. You don't tell my son to pick up his toys, go potty, eat his lunch, work on three coloring pages, and then leave the house. You have to work him. Manage him. Remind him of his duties. We elect officials, tell them to play nicely in the sandbox and then walk away.

There's no pressure except the next election, the party line, or the corporate dollars... and occasionally kissing the public arse for photo ops.

So the issue is how do you get someone to be connected to what's happening? Know what bills are up for vote this month? Know your representatives attendance? Who their biggest cash contributors are when running? Its just a muddled up mess. And it requires us to be discliplined, mentally vested in the process on a continual basis. And many of us have a hard enough time remembering trash day.

That, of course, doesn't mean it's a waste of time to put pressure on, whether it's a letter or a call or a vote of no confidence.

But political apathy is the disease here. We can blame career politicians, human greed, corporate dollars... all reasonable targets... but the public is just as much to blame. Until we see our political responsibility extending beyond the occasional election, we are just going to be another "bad parent" who abandons their "children" to whatever and whomever comes along.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2007, 11:30 AM
    That would be a bad idea because someone has to know how to make Congress work!

On inauguration day it would be, "Hi, now what do we do??!!" lol

Jul 27, 2007, 12:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Choux
    That would be a bad idea because someone has to know how to make Congress work!!

On inaguration day it would be, "Hi, now what do we do??!!" lol
    Exactly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who would vote for? [ 12 Answers ]

OK everybody this is a volunteer question so if you don't wish to answer then don't.I have already been harassed by people who don't wish to share something like this. OK...Barack Obama who is an AA and Hillary Clinton are the likely democratic candidates to run in 08'.My question is if you had a...

For all those who didn't vote [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry for the late comment, Ive been rather busy last week. I however wasn't to busy to get out and vote. Although I don't make practice of broadcasting who I voted for, I will say I was pleased with the outcome. I wanted to come here and lecture to the non voters. My wife didn't vote, and...

US Residents over 18: Don't forget to vote! [ 11 Answers ]

And don't forget the new voting schedule! Republicans vote today. Democrats vote tomorrow. :p :p Just kidding :p :eek: Get out there and vote today, all of you!!

Who can vote [ 2 Answers ]

Can convicted felons vote?

Change time in a 91 Honda Civic DX [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible? There are no buttons that say hours or minutes, just display and a few more. I've fumbled around with hundreds of combinations and nothing works :( Can anyone help? Thanks :) EDIT: And also, my manual only covers how to change time for the LX and the Hatchback, but not my DX :(

View more questions Search